Replacing kitchen floor tiles ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

StephenM

One of our kitchen floor tiles lifted and had a corner broken off while vacuuming today.

Rather than replace the tile I am thinking of pulling out tiles and replacing it with something else.

Open ideas.

Thanks

What sort of tiles do you now have? Removing ceramic tile is a major chore! Glued-down vinyl can be tough as well. Whatever it is, cleaning up and smoothing the subfloor for the new stuff is the key to success.

As for new flooring, I suggest a good grade of vinyl plank or vinyl sheet, something that runs $3/sqft or so. The better grade stuff looks much better, goes down easier, and survives the temperature & humidity extremes of an RV much better. Engineered wood works well too, as does cork. Laminates like a more temperature stable environment and lower humidity, but again the better grades may be OK. I've got a small area of quality laminate in the bedroom and notice that it expands and contracts quite a bit (it's a floating floor) just in normal temperature ranges. I think a larger area might buckle.

Sheet vinyl has a "cheap" reputation but there are many excellent grades available that have a high end look and feel. Even Lowes and Depot have these grades, but you may have to ask to see their samples or books of higher grade vinyls.

There aren't a lot of sq ft in any RV, so top quality materials don't add much to the expense.

Hi Gary,

The tiles seem to be some kind of vinyl.
I like the idea of putting a decent wooden floor down. My one concern is the existing tile is only about 1/10the of an inch thick.  I will go have a look in Lowes.

Back
Top Bottom