Ukulele revival

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We are a mere subset of the huge ukulele revival. Our Delta Strummers web site has numerous uke-related resource links.

Meanwhile, I continue to practice uke playing and learn new playing techniques.

A ukulele is a great instrument to take along on your RV trips.

Huge is the key word here. In the 20s the uke became popular due to a massive fascination with everything Hawaiian. Then WW2 killed it. It started back up again in the 50s with Arthur Godfrey becoming a daytime TV fixture. In the 70s it was Tiny Tim and lately we have had a cute little 12 year old girl and her uke win America's Got Talent. I started playing recently and I was shocked at how many local uke clubs are in existence.

Huge is the key word here.

Aye, I feel like a mere grain of sand at the seaside. The book we both purchased contains much of the history in an easily digestible form, although I'd previously read a lot of the stuff online.

FWIW I grew up watching George Formby movies; He played a banjouke using a combo split strum/triple strum, quite clever. Tiny Tim showed up on our TV screens only occasionally, and as something of a joke; Most folks in the UK, including myself, didn't understand/appreciate his musical skills at the time.

I wish I'd learned to play as a kid. When our band conducts uke teaching sessions for a program at  local high schools, I'm always blown away by how quickly they absorb it and start playing.

Tiny Tim was very popular in the US for a short while and on TV quite a lot. Whenever I would visit my relatives they would get drunk and insist that I serenade them on guitar. One of the highlights was me imitating Tiny Tim singing Tip Toe Through The Tulips. I really hammed it up singing in a really sarcastic imitation of him. The whole problem was I never knew the words to the song, especially the knee deep part. And I never knew how to actually play the song, I was faking it. But of some reason (probably alcohol) they really loved it. I never did have the guts to perform it when they were sober or they might have kicked me out of the family.

I guess that music/songs sound better to an inebriated audience  ;D

There's a line in Lodi (Credence Clearwater Revival) that you'd associate with:

"If I only had a dollar for every song I've sung, and every time I've had to play, while people sat there drunk."

BTW that's a great song to play on the uke and sing along.

Back
Top Bottom