Need to build a better battery tray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

427v8

I have an older class C that has the battery under the couch. It's nearly inaccessible there and I want to fix that and add a second battery.

I have 2 ideas;

Idea 1. Keep them under the couch, but build a sliding platform so I can pull them out and check fluid etc. The platform would slide into a box sealed from the house and vented to the outside.

Idea 2. Simular except the tray would open to the outside of the RV. This means I would have to be out side to check the batteries, but I'm thinking that would be a good thing.

I'm leaning towards the second idea, but have concerns about cutting into the side of the RV and making a decent looking door.
I can't use any existing compartments as I am already severely storage limited.

Any thoughts??
thanks
Keith

Keith,

I can't help with the slide tray, but have you considered switching to AGM batteries that don't require fluid checking?

You could use a pair of 6V AGM batteries and not have to check them for water and also not worry about venting.

I see our great minds are thinking alike again :)

Really no water and no venting required?
would you feel comfortable having it sit under the couch in the open air?
Or would you still put a vented box around it, just in case?

right now it sits on the floor with a hacked up battery box over it ( thats how I bought it )
I have 1 big walmart 12v deep cycle battery thats less than a year old.

Also where does one get an AGM battery??

AGM batteries can be mounted anywhere and in any position, even upside down.  I would not be concerned about locating them under the couch, but I wouldn't put a flooded cell battery there, even in a battery box.  Flooded cell batteries naturally outgas hydrogen while charging and need to be well vented the outside.

There are many sources for AGM batteries.  Look for businesses selling alternative energy systems as well as large battery dealers.  Also check out the Lifeline web site for lots of information on AGM batteries.

Just remember you have to connect the two 6V batteries in series to provide 12V. The positive of one battery connected to the negative of the other. 12V is available at the remaining two free terminals.

No need to complicate things by changing over to 6V golf cart batteries. You can get 12V AGMs in the same size you now have - probably the Group 24 size. AGMs are expensive buy highly recommended - they last longer than typical 12V wet cells and so pay back their initial high cost. Zero maintenance is a big bonus.

Read about AGM batteries at Lifeline AGM Batteries

I thought I posted in this thread... As for the stray slide, "Slim Slider"  makes just what you need, they are a bit pricy to my thinking but if you look at their products and then visit Home Depot you may have an idea or three  You can find them with google

NOTE: they make motorized slides now,  Skip those

As for a door to the battery compartment... You can get access doors in all sorts of shapes and sizes at your local RV store and of course again by doing a search on the web

Just cut a paper templat to the size of the hole needed, fit it to the door frame to insure it's the right size, tape it to your rig, mark, cut and slid the frame in to insure it fits, HAPPY, pull it out, coat with sealant on the proper surface, put it back and screw it down

It's that simple  (I've done this a few times already)

Back
Top Bottom