Courious Dish VS AIR???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom Hoffman

Just wondering how many of you have made the transition from Dish or the like back to AIR TV? 

We have dish at home and a Dish Tailgater and have been paying exorbitant monthly charges for years.  Just a couple of months ago I got so disgusted with the programming Crap on Dish for $115 per month.  I called them and went down to the minimal PKG where I could still get FOX News. 

We are heading for Yuma in a month or so and have decided to just use the AIR antenna and not to re activate Dish this year.

I just got tired of RERUNS and crap I would never watch and paying an arm and a leg for it.

What are your thoughts??? ;D ;D ;D

I quit watching TV a year ago.  I get my FOX news fix online, watch O'Reilly when I want to, listen to football on the radio and watch Netflix shows that interest me.  That's at home.  On the road because of lack of internet, I still have
my Directv subscription.  Over the air TV, when I can find any stations, is worthless junk.  All religious, foreign language or reruns.  The only good thing is the local news that you can get on the radio.  Next year I may go to
Dish pay as you go with the minimum FOX news package.

A lot depends on what you watch;
Many people are addicted to Sports. Football, Baseball, and the like.. Sat/Cable companies knwo this so they offer expensive "SPORTS" packages they can UP-Sell. If this is your wish.. You have no choice.

Others are happy with the probgrams that get broadcast over the air... (IE: ME)

WIth the change to Digital Broadcasting many stations "Split" where you used to have say Channels 2,4,7.320,50 and 62

You now have 2.1, 2.2, 4.1,2,3  7.1,2,3 and so on, most stations split into 3 "Tiers" Some even more.. This is also, in part, why many stations moved UP the band.. VHF low can handle one or two tiers, VHF HI 3 or 4, UHF depending on the frequency between 3 and i've seen 5 on at least one station (May have been using 2 carriers)

So the result is we have a lot more "Channels" in addition to ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX/Faux, CW and UPN we have Antenna TV, ME TV, Comet TV, MOVIES, Cozy and more,, all these networks, often called "Tier 2" networks (Cause they are often N.2 or N.3) networks broadcast classic TV,  Wonder Woman, Star Trek (TOS) The Flying Nun,  Outer Limits, Bonanza,  Big Valley Wagon Train, Partridge Family, Adams Family.. Munsters. AirWolf,  I'd need to haul up a TV listing service to name 'em all.

Where I am parked I have both Cable and OTA.. I watch mostly ME TV and COZY OTA.. THough I do watch some of the "Big Network) (ABC, CBS, NBC , et-al)  but most of what I watch is classic,,They even have Columbo (Iv'e seen 'em all though)

I do time shift with a pair of DVRs.. They are kind of amazing, they know when a station is OTA or CABLE, based on the listing name (Sat or Cable) and if it's listed as SAT (and they can work with two DIFFERENT sats) it will tune a digital to analog adapter to the proper channel and record it.. Can do the same for a sat receiver or a cable box if needed (no box needed here) provided the sat receiver and digital converter do not use the same codes (one of mine uses DISH codes).

We upgraded our over-the-air antenna last spring and were concerned initially that it wasn't working as advertised.  Turns out it works just fine.  We were in areas that didn't have many stations so of course it wasn't satisfactory.  Once we were in a few urban areas we got lots of channels.  That why we use satellite TV (in our case we prefer DirecTV) most of the time.  Over-the-air is useful if the weather turns bad.  We were happy to have it in Little Rock, for example, during a deluge with flooding.  Yes, we also have a NOAA radio which is great for warnings and forecasts, but it's sometimes nice to see local weather patterns and damage.

ArdraF

We just got back from two and a half months on the road to the Northwest.  We tried using air tv whenever we made one or two night stops and only used the Dish Tailgater when we we had time to watch television.  We found out we had to have the dish to get the NASCAR and Football  that we like to watch.  I'd love to save the $$$, but the local news is the only thing we could regularly get over the air.  Sometimes there was no over the air available at all, depending on where we were staying. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom