Inverter smoked coffee maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. Coffee makers with timers for start/stop or duration are digital and don't always play nice with modified sine-wave (MSW) inverters. The Mr Coffee brand handles MSW OK, but B&D , Hamilton-Beach, and others tend to "smoke" on anything other than pure sine power.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Yes. Coffee makers with timers for start/stop or duration are digital and don't always play nice with modified sine-wave (MSW) inverters. The Mr Coffee brand handles MSW OK, but B&D , Hamilton-Beach, and others tend to "smoke" on anything other than pure sine power.

It was a B&D. Thanks Gary! :)

I knew it had to something to with the sine-wave of the inverter.

Pure dumb luck we have a Mr Coffee, only because it's the same unit we have in the house (model BVMC-SJX33GT). Has a "strong" selection (brews slower) which make a great cup of coffee if you like strong coffee. Also has an available metal carafe decanter. Finally, very reasonably priced. So far no problems on modified sine wave.

We prefer the most basic Mr Coffee machine they make. It has an 'On/Off' switch. That's all, no clocks, no timers, no electronics, just a resistance heater and thermostat that's pretty impervious to power source and voltage swings. They usually cost about $15 at Walmart, and if we're someplace we don't want to or can't run the generator when off shorepower, we can just heat up water on the LP stove and pour it into the grounds basket with the top open.

NY_Dutch said:
We prefer the most basic Mr Coffee machine they make. It has an 'On/Off' switch. That's all, no clocks, no timers, no electronics, just a resistance heater and thermostat that's pretty impervious to power source and voltage swings. They usually cost about $15 at Walmart, and if we're someplace we don't want to or can't run the generator when off shorepower, we can just heat up water on the LP stove and pour it into the grounds basket with the top open.

Sounds like the one I have. No frills, and works fine.

As Dutch says, if its just a heater and an on/off switch, not much can go wrong on MSW. Clocks, variable brew settings, etc. require more digital logic and those are susceptible to MSW faiures unless the engineer designed for that capability. Most do not.

Many types of devices with digital controls cab be destroyed by MSW inverters. Coffee makers, electric blankets, and electric heaters (among many other things) re subject to such destruction.

Many such devices keep some of the electronics powered, whenever they are plugged in, even when the device is turned off. I once destroyed a nice Lasko tower type heater, by forgetting to unplug it before turning on the inverter.

Joel

Other things that people often forget and do not play well with MSW power are most LED nightlights and digital timers (e.g. an on/off timer for decorative lighting). They are often left plugged in when leaving the campsite, and if an MSW inverter kicks in while traveling or a lunch stop, the gadget gets fried but you often don't realize it until you get to the next campsite and plug in again.

malexander said:
Anybody ever had a coffee maker smoked by the inverter?

Short answer: YES
Long answer.. It was a Mr. Coffee 4-cup size (mini) with time and electronic controls.  For some reasons the electrioncs did not like the inverter, Or the Genrator and eventually not even shore power... I think the electronics were defective.

It has since been replaced with it's simple minded brotehr. This one has NO electronics Just a light up switch, a big Resistor (The heater) a Thermostat that's all (electrically)  Imperverous to all but very very high voltage.

I'm reading this thread and going oh....crap. My wife loves her Keurig coffee maker with all the bells and whistles. If it goes belly up. I'll know why.

Anyone have a problem with computers?

Well all, it's been 2 months now. I just found out Friday, a Lasko tower type fan forced electric heater doesn't like the inverter either.
I was using one in the MH while plugged in at the house, power went off for about 4 hours, thus the inverter "kicked-in". 3 of the small ceramic heaters just quit while the power was off.
The Lasko, well, it wouldn't come back on. I just trashed it, pretty sure I knew what the problem was. ;)

malexander said:
Well all, it's been 2 months now. I just found out Friday, a Lasko tower type fan forced electric heater doesn't like the inverter either.
I was using one in the MH while plugged in at the house, power went off for about 4 hours, thus the inverter "kicked-in". 3 of the small ceramic heaters just quit while the power was off.
The Lasko, well, it wouldn't come back on. I just trashed it, pretty sure I knew what the problem was. ;)

You never told us if you had a MODIFIED sound wave inverter or a PURE sine wave inverter. What's the make and model.

Sun2Retire said:
Pure dumb luck we have a Mr Coffee, only because it's the same unit we have in the house (model BVMC-SJX33GT). Has a "strong" selection (brews slower) which make a great cup of coffee if you like strong coffee. Also has an available metal carafe decanter. Finally, very reasonably priced. So far no problems on modified sine wave.

You don't need dumb luck. Rather, you need dumb devices. Smart coffee makers, space heaters, electric blankets, etc. have digital controls, and also have cheap, not very well filtered power supplies. MSW inverters mya very well destroy them. Dumb devices (those with no digital display) will generally work fine with MSW inverters.

Joel

Rene T said:
You never told us if you had a MODIFIED sound wave inverter or a PURE sine wave inverter. What's the make and model.

Sorry, I forgot to look. I'll get back to y'all. It's OEM, I know that much for sure.

I have a pure/true sine wave inverter.. I had a MR. Coffee with a timer I never used, it did not lik e the inverter, it did nto like the generator and eventually it did not like shore power either.

I now have a new one. it has an ON/OFF switch, period, no timer, no electronics, Just a heat element and a couple of thermal sensors (T-Stat and Tnermal Fuse) no problem with any kind of inverter.

Great Horned Owl said:
You don't need dumb luck. Rather, you need dumb devices. Smart coffee makers, space heaters, electric blankets, etc. have digital controls, and also have cheap, not very well filtered power supplies. MSW inverters mya very well destroy them. Dumb devices (those with no digital display) will generally work fine with MSW inverters.

Joel

sounds like good practice to save money a few different ways

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom