Inverter smoked coffee maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We make sure our insulated carafe is full enough the night before to get us started in the morning. Another low cost option to avoid the MSW issues and still have hot coffee in the morning might be to use one of the low cost mechanical switch motor driven timers used for turning lights on/off, etc. Just make sure it has a high enough current rating.

My first cup is made with an Aeropress. Ready 3 minutes after I turn on the stove. Next cup is with the espresso maker - a nice latte. Yes, I am spoiled. We either use shore power for the lattes or we fire up the generator for a few minutes.

Glad I saw this thread.
We were just about to go shopping for some extras, one being a coffee maker for the RV.
It seems once again, the KISS principle comes into play.

I replaced the B&D that smoked, with a Mr. Coffee. Used it one time. Found out after the 2 hr. time is up, it shuts off. It won't turn back on without adding water to it. The instructions say this is to prevent "dry-brewing".

Well, I replaced it with another B&D, just like what burned up. I just unplug it when we're not using it. Plug it in and set all the times at night when I want coffee ready in the morning.

For the only reason that I like the carafe I have a B&D with digital timer. Luckily the carafe also fits a Mr Coffee with just a on and off switch should the B&D not like my Tripp-lite inverter.

JiminDenver said:
For the only reason that I like the carafe I have a B&D with digital timer. Luckily the carafe also fits a Mr Coffee with just a on and off switch should the B&D not like my Tripp-lite inverter.

The digital timers are so useful

Just one a Mr. Coffee.. A Sunbeam replaced it and lasted many years.  The timer on th MR.C did not like a true sine inverter believe it or not...

Coffee makers will. eventually.. fail.

And our basic "On/Off only" Mr Coffee (currently $20 at Walmart) just keeps brewing merrily along no matter which electric power source we're on. Or even no power source... ;)

NY_Dutch said:
And our basic "On/Off only" Mr Coffee (currently $20 at Walmart) just keeps brewing merrily along no matter which electric power source we're on. Or even no power source... ;)

Mine does not require electricity either. Sauce pan filled with water and heated on propane stove. When hot, pour in cup and add instant coffee.  ;D

This thread has been going on for over 2 years and yet no one has brought up using a Keureg yet amazing

IBTripping said:
Mine does not require electricity either. Sauce pan filled with water and heated on propane stove. When hot, pour in cup and add instant coffee.  ;D

I only drink instant coffee out of desperation... As long as I'm heating a pan of water on the stove, I can just pour it through the grounds in the basket at the top of our Mr Coffee and have 12 cups to store in our insulated Air Pump carafe. In fact I do exactly that whenever we don't have shore power and don't want to start the generator or run the batteries down using the inverter.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:
Percolator on the propane stove ;)

Now that is real coffee, the way it is supposed to taste. No plastics in the brew, our hamilton beach that the wife loves so much is still gassing off a putrid smell after 5 years but she loves it. Smells like wire burning to me....just give me the old corning perc on the stove top.

copied from a page about brewing cowboy coffee, this is what we used to do on weekends. Take a bunch of airboats 5-6, out to any one of several spots out in Gardner Marsh and cook steaks on a fire (no chicken allowed)...but this is the coffee.....Serving Up Bad Cowboy Coffee

Cowboy coffee isn’t known for tasting good, because many people make it using this recipe. If you want to taste truly awful coffee, just follow these steps:

Disregard the coffee-to-water ratio guidelines, because the coffee won’t be good enough for the ratio to matter. Just add some grounds to a pot and fill it with water.
Place the pot on the fire and bring the water to boil. When done correctly, the grounds will float to the top, so most of them aren’t being brewed, and the pot will boil over.
After burning your hand while trying to adjust the pot so that it doesn’t boil over again, let the “coffee” sit for a few more minutes.
Remove the pot from the fire, and sprinkle a handful of cold water into it. Not only will the cold water help the grounds settle on the bottom, but it will also give the appearance that you know what you’re doing. Perhaps you’ll recover some of the dignity you lost in Step 3.
Serve the coffee. There are two strategies for this step. You might pour your cup first, so you have as few grounds as possible in your mug. Alternatively, you can save yours till last, hoping that the coffee will be gone by the time you get to your cup.

The next page told how to brew it the right way....

An old tower climber showed me how to brew coffee without any of that fancy stuff.  He claimed it made the best coffee in the world.  I had to take him at his word because I never developed a taste for the stuff and only reluctantly drank a cup for the caffeine hit if it was 3 in the morning and I had to stay awake long enough to get the radio transmitter back together.

Take a can of regular ground coffee and remove an inch or so of the contents. Fill the can to the top with cold water over the remaining grounds, replace the plastic lid and let it marinate for a day or two. Then drain the resulting slurry through a filter to catch the grounds.  He used his handkerchief stretched over the mouth of the can, but I suppose a coffee filter would work, too.

Store the filtered slurry in a glass jar and add one or two teaspoons to a cup of hot water.  He said you can repeat the process a couple of times using the same can of ground coffee but the first batch always tasted the best.

Isaac-1 said:
This thread has been going on for over 2 years and yet no one has brought up using a Keureg yet amazing

We use one, with those little refillable cups so we can use regular ground cofffee.  I like being able to make one cup in the early evening without having to waste a whole pot.  I don't have an inverter, so I don't have inverter problems.

Old_Crow said:
We use one, with those little refillable cups so we can use regular ground cofffee.  I like being able to make one cup in the early evening without having to waste a whole pot.  I don't have an inverter, so I don't have inverter problems.

We never waste coffee! We keep a supply in our insulated Air Pot at all times, and if it has cooled too much, we just pop the cup in the microwave for a hot fresh brewed taste.

Back
Top Bottom