Winnebago solar factory package?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schlomo

About a year or so out from buying a class C, and the Navion/View is interesting to me. The buying process is a bit perplexing however, as well as the solar. Here's the threads I've gathered so far...

1) Can't buy from the factory or even contact the factory via email, can I? As I'm in the Philippines at the moment calling isn't going to happen. So, I've chatted with a couple dealers, and it seems if I want to buy one off the lot I can get one in the 80-90K range through RV Trader. These are however on the lot so getting a factory installed solar package isn't going to happen. Of course the dealer will install it for an amazing amount of money. Solar is supposed to be getting cheaper, yes? So the new Navions from the factory start at 115K and I didn't see anything about a solar option. Granted I'm dreaming of this while 9 to 10,000 miles away, but the internet is quite a resource... For instance it brought me here.

What I've tentatively settled on is a Navion J with 3 big honkin panels on the roof and a road trip to Disney World with the wife & kids once the adoption is done, they would love it I'm sure. Our 7 year old daughter is thrilled by Frozen of course. I am a total amateur however at RVs and this is the land of experts, so there is hope. Throw 'ol Shclomo a bone. What is the best way to go? Any advice? 

The View/Navion is and has been a very successful seller for Winnebago.  Friend of mine just bought one and he loves it and I've walked through them for years at the GNR. There is very limited roof space for large solar panels, but I have no idea of what's possible. There's a View/Navion Yahoo Group you might check out, but welcome here!

I'd contact Lichtsinn RV in Iowa their Winnebago's  factory delivery point so to speak. Their Ph# 1-800-343-6255, their web site is lichtsinn.com.  That I think will be your bets bet to get your questions answered.

I think the new ones all use a Zamp solar package with 100W panel installed, but capable of 400 watts if there is room on the roof.  I actually got that from one of Lichtsinn's videos.

Thanks John Canfield, and the replies make me feel welcome indeed.

John Hilley, yes that's part of it. Another is on my somewhat limited fact finding I've seen a video at YouTube long since left behind the link to, which said that panels help keep the fridge cold while traveling with the propane turned off for safety. Can well imagine cross country trips since I was raised on the East Coast, Jersey to be exact, and moved to Oregon in my 30s. Got connections at both ends ion other words. Plus, as I mentioned the kids love Disney characters and so that's in the plan. When I was a child, just after the invention of roads it seems, my father drove the family down to the Keys and I really enjoyed the long bridges and conch fritters. Like to show that to our kids. Also looked up online home schooling so while traveling the kids can attend Skype classes online and that would free up our wheels quite a bit for some serious road running.

afchap, thanks I will do that! Good tip...

Cant Wait, thanks I've already swapped emails with them. What their videos described was their installation, but I could ask them about factory installation.  I did ask them how far off MSRP they would go and got back 'Already low prices' , yet the ones I see that are in the 80-90K range arent from their dealership. So, back to the original problem. If I want one built to my specs I pay $20,000 more, and for that I could do the install myself if its even possible. All that when the factory can build them that way. Twenty thousand dollars for factory installed solar in other words, due to circumstances, if those are the facts. Not a perfect world. So, I certainly will ask them more directly what I should do, and thank you.

Mile High, that's something I did get from Lichtsen that they could do, 3 on the roof and one laying out in the grass. So, 300 watts moving, 400 stopped. Thanks for the reply!

Using the address afchap provided I sent this...lets swee what comes back, and hope for the best.

Hi,

Am interested in the Navion/View. What is the difference btw? I've chatted with a couple dealers, and it seems if I want to buy one off the dealer lot I can get one in the 80-90K range through RV Trader. These are however on the lot so getting a factory installed solar package isn't going to happen. How many panels can you pre install by the way? What does that cost as a factory install? Of course the dealer will install it for an amazing amount of money. Saw a video where a dealer had a 100 watt panel install for $600something. Ouch! Solar is supposed to be getting cheaper, yes? So the new Navions from the factory start at 115K and I didn't see anything about a solar option as yet. So, I'd rather get the factory to do it than do it myself, even if its possible after market. However if the factory does it I have to pay 115K instead of 80-90K, is that right? If so, my dear ladies and gents, what the...?

What I've tentatively settled on is a Navion/View J with 3 or more big honkin panels on the roof and a road trip to Disney World with the wife & kids once the kids adoption is done, they would love it I'm sure. Our 7 year old daughter is thrilled by Frozen of course. I am a total amateur however at RVs and yours is the land of experts, so there is hope. Throw me a bone. What is the best way to go? Any advice? I don't want to spend 115K if I can avoid it, and I know I can but would rather own a Winnebago.

Thanks,

Lance

Solar install isn't too hard. You could do a single 100 watt panel yourself for about $300.

I wouldn't bother to put solar in to run the fridge on electric. There is no inherent danger in running the fridge on propane driving down the road. It has to be turned off in some tunnels, but those are few and far between. It uses very little propane.

Are the motorhomes that you have priced equipped with an inverter? If not one would have to be added to the minimum $300 single panel install. it is likely that even equipped with an inverter it wouldn't be wired to the fridge.

There is a lot of support on this and other forums to help with a solar install. I have done many.

Agree with John. You'd be hard pressed to find a confirmed case of propane being the cause of an LP fridge fire. The fires that resulted in LP fridge recalls in recent years, could just as easily have occurred while the fridge was running on electricity. If you're planning to do a lot of boondocking, solar is a great addition, and as John said, it's not a difficult DIY project, as long as you're capable of getting on your roof and working with some basic tools. Whether you decide to DIY or hire someone, please contact us first. It's very easy to install a system in such a manner that it's rendered almost useless - and not even know it.

Kev

John, sure I did it once before. Back in October 2013 there was an earthquake here on the island of Bohol in the Philippines, 7.2. There was a lot of damage to homes and old churches and some deaths, but the power came back fairly quickly. Four thousand aftershocks followed, some which could not be felt but there were 5 in the 5.o and higher range, lots of 4s... so the power came and went. This is turning into a long story, sorry. Like it was yesterday. Was a Sunday morning, the family was up getting ready for the day when it occurred. If you've ever been through one, there's nothing else like a big quake in life. Wife and I took the kids outside where we rode it out. Our house was spared serious damage. Thats enough for any month but a short time later "The most powerful typhoon to ever hit land" plowed into Leyte and Samar to our north, did horrible destruction, and that is where our power comes from, geothermal. So the power went out on our damaged island, and stayed out this time. I am an advocate of hand crank flashlights and radios and had both so we weren't totally in the dark ages, but many people were. Candles ran out in the local stores very quickly and then it was the dark of night for most. Also had an emergency solar panel kit in the attic which I dug out and read the instructions on, first time. So I did the install on that, learned about inverters and charge controllers.  Got some power to run a 12v fan, and the kids could watch Barney, my greatest accomplishment! So I have a basic idea. Dunno how to attach the panels to the roof without damaging it, or how to run the wires through the vehicle. Could learn this stuff online. Of course solar was a challenge when the power was out, though I could later start the comp off the inverter there was no internet. Figured it out though.

So if I may, everyone should run out and buy hand crank stuff, just in case, because you never know. This is another reason I'm an advocate of solar, because what if the roads are damaged to the point you can't get to the gas station and the gas station delivery trucks can't refill the stations? That was the case here. Thankfully my diesel van was full. Local gas stations didn't have generators either, and range was limited due to the roads/bridges being out. Interesting times, I assure you. Inventoried all our supplies and had enough for a while, we stock stuff. Then with the typhoon the government had bigger worries than little Bohol's problems. The governor of Bohol was saying it would be next year before the power was back! It was October... as it happened the power came back mid November, and there was much rejoicing. The roads and bridges got fixed in time. An alternate route to Tagbilaran, the 'big city' was found by traveling through the hills and back country. A good lesson, could have been much worse. Civilization lives in people's hearts, but its foundation comes down the power lines. For us it was a lesson in calamity.

Likely John I'd have to yank out the small inverter the Navion's come with and put in a big one if I went with 3 panels on the roof. Looking at the RVTrader adds yesterday there are many with 100W panels. That means there is wiring through the walls already that I could add panels to. Possibly glue them to the roof with the self leveling goop that the RV companies push. Put the goop down and push the panels down into it. What do you think of that idea?

Its good I' a year or so out from all this, solar tech is about to take a quantum leap in power generation matched with a decrease in expense. Might take a while for those panels to get into the stores.

Thank you John for your good advice!

Kev I watched a Youtube video on safety of propane in RVs during accidents. Might have been overly cautious but in certain areas such as fire I err on caution's side. Besides, with the panels keeping the batteries up which the fridge runs off, no need for propane, right? Definitely I would consult with you guys at every step, and am grateful for that kind offer.

So far guys I've gotten no reply to my email to the factory, but these things take time I'm sure. Also they may have no good answer and don't want to send anything but. Time will tell I suppose.

Schlomo said:
....Looking at the RVTrader adds yesterday there are many with 100W panels. That means there is wiring through the walls already that I could add panels to.
Possibly if it was a factory option.

Possibly glue them to the roof with the self leveling goop that the RV companies push. Put the goop down and push the panels down into it. What do you think of that idea?...
Nope, don't do that. The panels get hot and you need an air space underneath. There are many solar install write-ups, here's mine.

You would want to use screws and Z brackets. Screws for shear prevention and brackets to space off the roof as John mentioned. Fire from the propane fridge would be way down at the bottom of problems in an accident. To be fair, there is not much protection if an RV if it rolls or is in a collision. A lot of cabinets are going to go flying along with what ever is in them turning into missles. The walls and roof will turn into kindling. I've seen several after accidents.

Schlomo... That's your call on whether or not to run the fridge on LP while traveling - it's a pretty small risk in my opinion. If your goal is to have enough solar power to keep up with an LP fridge's power consumption when it's running on A/C power (through an inverter) you're going to need a lot of solar and a lot of battery capacity. A friend of ours tried to do the same thing and his battery monitor indicated that, when switched to A/C, his LP fridge and inverter were drawing 28-30 amps per hour. That's about four times as much as our full size 22cf res fridge draws (with inverter.) Electric cooling elements in LP fridges work, but they draw a lot of power. Of course, if your trip is short, an LP fridge that's been cooled will stay cool for several hours if the door is kept closed - even when it's been turned off.

Kev

Before we threw out the PITA Nocold four door gas fridge, I think I remember the AC heaters in it drawing almost 800 watts. Like Kev, our 17 cu ft Frigidaire draws very little power from the inverter - I think about 150 watts or less.

Interesting test by Litchsinn, I think probably a 5cf fridge on the 100W solar and they ran it for 5 days and it never stopped.  The solar maintained 25% on the batteries.  The fridge was empty too, which I think is more taxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1RB6FJft0Y

In the post apocalypse scene, it might be nice to have both options.  Although LP may not be available at a station, full containers can be found all over the place.

John Canfield, thanks for the heads up, I definitely won't do that. Also yes, I think its likely a factory 100W panel. That gives me hope the wires are already run and can handle a couple more panels which I'll have to confirm but since the panels put out so little at any one time I think its also likely.

John Hilley, brackets, good tip, makes sense, thanks.

Kev, okay that makes sense too. At best I imagine it would extend the charge giving me more hours or days between stops. Days I'd guess. Since we would stop somewhere in the evening and could either plug in or turn the propane back on, that would allow the bats to come up to full charge, yes?

John Canfield, 150W eh? Well, if I have 300 watts of solar charge then we're good, at least during the day, unless we want to run the aircon, but for that we absolutely need a plug in anyway, yes?

Mile High, Ya that's interesting. They are knowledgeable folks certainly, I'd like to buy through them. However, when I searched RV Trader not one of the lesser priced Navion/Views was being sold by Litchen. That goes along with their reply to me when I inquired how far off MSRP they would come, something along the lines that their prices were already low. I'm still at least a year out it appears, but I'll get into that next.

There is a SNAFU in our adoption process. First we have to get 'Capacity to adopt' from the US government. In order to get that we need to have lived with the kids as a family together here for three years according to the Philippine gov, and the US says we have to be making $40,000 a year. Well, we have been together as a family for 5 years but sionce we aren't in the US we certainly aren't making $40,000 a year, but we could reasily if we went home which we won't do because there's no way we can go without our kids. Its a real kick where it hurts. The one option we have is to do a Philippine adoption, and then try to get to the US with the kids on a vacation visa, but with extensions that can only run for a year. A year and then we have to leave and get a new visa. That throws the buying an RV option on its tail. That's truly unfortunate, but in a year we could see a lot of things, show the kids the sights, do Disney, give them memories, then come back and resume our lives here.

So, unless I can figure something out, the solar panel installation question becomes, while still interesting, rather academic.  I thought I should let you guys know that this might be a waste of your time, though perhaps not. I imagine while in the US I could bug my congressman, introduce to him the kids, and see if there are any options still open. Just soes ya knows amigos... already hit a road bump and haven't even bought the RV yet.

One suggestion. You, like me, are not a man of a few words.  If one sentence will suffice why not use six. LOL.  Anyway, if you choose to write to the factory, I would recommend you really reduce what you have shown above. Narrow it down to a list of short questions right to the point.  They really don't need a lot of your history and, in my opinion, you ramble too much for a factory rep to give you anything other than a very generalized answer.  So, a short intro of your interest and a list of direct questions needing answers.  I think you would be more likely to get an informative answer if you use this system.  I learned the hard way.  Length and humor are not the way to a customer reps heart. LOL

Sure Bill,I get your point. However right now as I mentioned if we can't get the kids to the US because of the US adoption rules, then we have no need for an RV. Its a problem you see.

John Canfield said:
Before we threw out the PITA Nocold four door gas fridge, I think I remember the AC heaters in it drawing almost 800 watts. Like Kev, our 17 cu ft Frigidaire draws very little power from the inverter - I think about 150 watts or less.
its actually about 225w

OP- IMO there is no way I would pay the factory to install solar. You're gonna pay through the nose and probably not get the quality job you expect since that's just not what they do. You mentioned Oregon.. If you don't want to do the install yourself, contact AMSOLAR (they have a website too). They have been around for a very long and are one of the originals in the business. They do coach installs at their shop in Oregon as well as can supply you with all the parts and pieces needed to do it yourself.

I'm running 500w panels from them with some fancy SS tilt brackets and roof J-boxes that I've seen nowhere else. AND they're nice folk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom