Cutting bathtub/shower plastic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mperson91

What is the trick in modifying the plastic surface in terms of reshaping? I recently purchased a portable washer for an 07 Dutchmen tundra (fifth wheel), and I calculated the best area to place it is in the tub, however the corner of the shower has a shampoo holder shaped outwards and is part of the whole single waterproof plastic piece surface that surrounds the shower and is preventing my washer to sit flush against the corner.

I'm debating on cutting the corner out, which would leave me to have a gap that will need sealing from water, is there plastics I can buy or anything I can mold within the gap? What's the best option to go about this?

Cheers!

Fiberglass wetted out with Wests Systems G-Flex epoxy will do the trick, but it sure won't look pretty, unless you know what you are doing.

G-flex will adhere to plastics.

Go on line and talk the  people at West Systems. They will walk you through the process.

jack L

carbon fiber or kydex is readily available, both are able to be heated up and shaped, maybe make a cardboard template overlapping by at least an inch or two, then use the template to build a wood one, heat it up then shape, let dry and the silicone it in place

Pictures are worth a thousand words... 8)  that said,  just how 'handy' (I think that's the term) are you  :-\  AND
what level of perfectionism are you satisfied with  ???  ie. what the finished product will look like. ANYTHING can be done. :)  Will the tub, once again, be used for what it was designed for? Are you comfortable, when you decide to sell or trade-in the unit, that the modification will certainly lower its value? Do you have the tools, or access to them, to safely and professionally do the mod?
I don't want to discourage you in this project  :(  and as I stated previously ANYTHING can be done, only considerations are cost and what the mod will look like when done relative to resale.
Have at it!  ;D

Keith

Here are some pictures

http://pho.to/ASWND

To simply put, I want to have this corner flush flat so my washer fits in nice and tight

Sorry for the late reply, I'm used to receive emails on new replies, not the case this time. Much appreciate the feedback! 8)

Ok... As I previously posted all is dependent on your level of competence with tools and what you will accept ie. what the finished product looks like.

If it were my unit and I had resolved to do exactly what you want I'd remove the surround completely (the three walls of the shower) and I'd contact that company that advertises to remodel your bath in one day. They install vacuum formed thermoplastic to the exact size of the opening. With them (sorry I don't know the name of the company) you'll end up with a very clean installation that will fulfill your needs and if and when the time comes to sell the installation will look like it was from the factory.

Good luck with your decision

Keith

Thanks for the info, i like to get my hands dirty and learn as I go when it comes to things like these. I am planning to do this modification myself and I'm asking for some insights on how to do so at home, I work on my own vehicles so I have the basic tools and some experience in cutting, just not this plastic or rvs in general.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom