Dallas to Houston things to see and do..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hedhunter9

We are down here near Dallas and heading to Houston TX..... Recomendations on things to see and do while here ?  We have 2 weeks ..We are looking at a Damon Outlaw tomorrow..

Bob

You can take I-35 to Waco, then Hwy 6 all the way to Houston.  Excellent 4 lane road with much less traffic than on I-45.  It is a little further, but an easier drive.  Texas Ranger Museum in Waco is a good stop.  Also, if you're a fan of the "Fixer Upper" show on HGTV, Chip and Joanna Gaines"s Magnolia Market complex is also located in Waco.  Further down Hwy 6, the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum is located in College Station.  At the intersection where hwy 6 meets US290 south of College Station is Fraziers Concrete Heaven.  It has about 5 acres of concrete statues, yard and garden ornaments.  They've got everything you can imagine from full size horse statues to bird baths, plus lots of other stuff.

I just remembered one potential problem.  Check a traffic app before heading into Houston.  There is lots of construction on 290 driving into Houston and if the traffic is stopped, you might be better off to head on down to I-10 and come in from the west. 

BigLarry said:
You can take I-35 to Waco, then Hwy 6 all the way to Houston.  Excellent 4 lane road with much less traffic than on I-45.  It is a little further, but an easier drive.  Texas Ranger Museum in Waco is a good stop.  Also, if you're a fan of the "Fixer Upper" show on HGTV, Chip and Joanna Gaines"s Magnolia Market complex is also located in Waco.  Further down Hwy 6, the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum is located in College Station.  At the intersection where hwy 6 meets US290 south of College Station is Fraziers Concrete Heaven.  It has about 5 acres of concrete statues, yard and garden ornaments.  They've got everything you can imagine from full size horse statues to bird baths, plus lots of other stuff.

I just remembered one potential problem.  Check a traffic app before heading into Houston.  There is lots of construction on 290 driving into Houston and if the traffic is stopped, you might be better off to head on down to I-10 and come in from the west.

I was just thinking that there's not much do see coming down I45, so your suggestion isn't bad if they don't mind the extra miles.

Of course, once they get to Houston there's a lot to see and do, depending on their interests - especially if the include Galveston in their range.  My top Houston tip is Battleship Texas/San Jacinto monument and the Port Bolivar ferry.  Don't drive onto the ferry - park on the right and walk on and ride over and back - you'll likely see lots of dolphin on the ride over and back. 

The Battleship isn't free, but if you like history, it's great.  The ferry is, indeed, free!

We are in Madagordia.  Staying at the Madagordia  Bay Nature Park.. RV park.. Nice place.  Cement pads.. Right on the Colorada river canal.. Right next to the Gulf of Mexico.. Gulf breezes are nice..  All hook ups plus wifi $37 a night..
Bob

Back
Top Bottom