Serpentine belt change/ Dash air fix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrohog1

I would like to change the Serpentine Belt on my Itasca Ellipse with a rear radiator can this be done through the floor hatch in the rear bath or do I need to remove the radiator? Does anyone have any advice or tips I need to know. The problem is the belt is about to break and I don't want to receive a massive bill to have it towed.

Thanks,
Herbie

Edit by staff - change message icon to topic solved, edited subject reflect thread drift

I believe a Freightliner rep told me the belt can be changed from the top but I sure wouldn't want to try. We're currently at Freightliner in Tolleson (Phoenix) for annual maintenance and I had them change the belt - this is our second replacement belt in 109K miles and I also carry a spare. Don't want to throw a belt on the road!

(Last year they replaced two cracked air bags and we're proactively having the other two replaced this trip. Also had two leaky air leveling valves.)

it can be done but your going to be doing it blind because you really cant see everything an how its routed, if you can try to get some pictures before you pull the old one off it will help putting it back on.

I had Freightliner email me the belt routing and I will attempt to change the belt this weekend. I will let everyone know how tough it was.

thanks,

Herbie

I had my water pump replaced a year ago.  A single mechanic did the job but had trouble reinstalling the serpentine belt. He didnt quit easiy but after a half hour trying, called a second mechanic to work in the pit while he worked from the top. They got the belt installed in about 15 minutes then. You might want to investigate further if it is really a one man job before you start as once it is out, you cant drive it to a shop to finish.

More bad news, I opened up the floor and found out that the AC Compressor has frozen up. Now not only the Serpentine belt need to be replaced, the AC compressor has to be replaced also. I picked up a new compressor from Freightliner today $249.60 which I thought was cheap. When I get it all installed I will let everyone know of any do's and don'ts that may help someone else with a similar problem.

Thanks,
Herbie

Herbie
While you are underneath, check your alternator as well. On my Journey, thrre is really no protection for the AC compressor or the alternator from moisture and other junk from the road. I also had to replace my AC compressor a year after I replaced the alternator. Good luck,
bob

Hey Folks, thanks for your advice. I got the AC Compressor changed out and found out the reason for the ac pulley going bad was because the compressor was seized up and I guess when the clutch tried to engage  the compressor that was seized it striped the pulley and took the belt out. Next problem is I got the compressor and belt changed (all day job) , vacuumed down the system and put 4 small cans of Freon in. I then got my Freon sniffer and found the fan coil behind the dash is leaking. When I checked the system before I changed the compressor I had no Freon in the system at all and I assume since I had no lubrication with the Freon gone is why the compressor failed. My next project is to change the fan coil out at the dash. I will let you know how it went after I get it changed. My advice to anyone that has a AC that want cool is don't run until you get it checked out.(no Freon no lubrication).

thanks,

Herbie

Interesting. Just had Freightliner sniff my dash air for leaks and supposedly nothing was leaking but earlier in the year I had to add a can of Freon. Maybe I should buy a sniffer for my A/C tool kit.

Have you figured out how to access the evap coil? Tear the dash apart?

Edit: sniffer bought - a TekMate. I like to buy my own Christmas presents  :D

John Canfield said:
Have you figured out how to access the evap coil? Tear the dash apart?

Edit: sniffer bought - a TekMate. I like to buy my own Christmas presents  :D
It has been a while since we worked our ac, but I think ours had a temp bulb sensor that entered through the cabinet, going to the coil. I would think you might find a hole like this or even make your own hole.

Some of those sniffers are very sensitive. When we used to work on residential units and found a unit low on freon, we would turn our sniffer on, outdoors, then enter the house. You would be surprised how often, it would go off as soon as we walked in the door.

If the RV blower has been off for a while, a very small evap leak would accumulate in the small cabinet & give a reading, provided you still had any freon left in the unit.

John,

If your Dash Air is like mine (SCS/Frigette) the Evaporator Coil is inside the big black box under the front "hood" on the passenger side. Got pictures and a drawing somewhere - Show see a yellow tag on the "box."

Folks, I finally got the problem solved with the AC leaking Freon. The fitting on the Evaporator Valve was leaking. Why I was there I replaced the EV with a new one and the problem seems to be solved. Thanks for all you advice.

Herbie

Back
Top Bottom