30 Amp Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wvu83

When I plug my 30 amp plug into a campground's 30 amp service the microwave won't work. When I disconnect and plug into the 15 amp campground plug the microwave works fine. Generator powers everything fine so it isn't an issue, just the shore power giving me problems. I've had this problem at two campgrounds. Could it be a 30 amp breaker has gone bad? Or maybe one of the 15 amp breakers has gone bad, think I have two of them, but not a single 30 amp. How do I check? I have no 30 amp service at home, which is where I am now, only 15/20 amp service available.

this sounds confusing to me because it just doesnt make sense, the only thing I can wonder is what type of setup/adapters you may be using, if everything works via the generator and when you plug in via 15 amp I have to think the first place I would start is at your cord, ohm it out and see if you have continuity on all legs.
If a breaker was bad or tripped then it would not work using the alternative methods, I guess if your in that campground you can also check the 30 amp receptacle to be sure it has power.
re-reading your description it appears you have two 15 amp, have you tried turning them off then back on, but that still wouldnt make sense because the power from 15 or genny is still going through them.... I'm going to lean towards a possible bad end on the 30 amp wire or a bad wire itself.

JoeFatz said:
this sounds confusing to me because it just doesnt make sense, the only thing I can wonder is what type of setup/adapters you may be using, if everything works via the generator and when you plug in via 15 amp I have to think the first place I would start is at your cord, ohm it out and see if you have continuity on all legs.
If a breaker was bad or tripped then it would not work using the alternative methods, I guess if your in that campground you can also check the 30 amp receptacle to be sure it has power.
re-reading your description it appears you have two 15 amp, have you tried turning them off then back on, but that still wouldnt make sense because the power from 15 or genny is still going through them.... I'm going to lean towards a possible bad end on the 30 amp wire or a bad wire itself.

I'm confused too Joe.
I'm leaning towards the possibility that both campgrounds had issues with their 30 Amp receptacles. Maybe coincidence?  The 30 Amp receptacle gets the most use and they may have been just worn out and defective. I don't know.

To the OP, between the two times you had no power, were ever at a different campground and were you able to plug into another 30 Amp receptacle and did it work OK?

Rene T said:
I'm confused too Joe.
I'm leaning towards the possibility that both campgrounds had issues with their 30 Amp receptacles. Maybe coincidence?  The 30 Amp receptacle gets the most use and they may have been just worn out and defective. I don't know.

To the OP, between the two times you had no power, were ever at a different campground and were you able to plug into another 30 Amp receptacle and did it work OK?

The real confusing thing is that the op only says the mw doesnt work, I'm assuming everything else is ok......  Strange, very strange

Thinking. If he is not watching TV or using the Air Conditioners, something as simple as a tripped circuit breaker on the park pedistal will do the job, Open wire (hot or neutral) no 120 in RV. The Microwave is the only exclusively 120 volt device other than TV and Air Conditoners in most RV's.

The 15 amp outlet works.. The 30 amp does not.

To the OP:  When plugged into 30 amp service, do you have any AC power in the camper?  When you use a 15V receptacle, does the power go through your 30A cord?

I have read all the replies. Thanks to all who took the time to offer suggestions.

The receptacle at one of the campgrounds was checked with a meter and showed it had a full 120 volts on it. If it had power then it's a safe bet the second campground pedestal did as well so I have mentally eliminated the campground pedestals as a source of the problem.

In my original post I said only the Micro didn't work. That was an example to let you know I didn't have any AC power. To clarify, when plugged into a 30 amp service we have never had any AC power in the RV (we've had the RV for less than 2 months). We get no Micro, TV or A/C.

Microwave and TV run fine when plugged into 15 amp service, and A/C as well for a minute or two. Everything works fine on generator - Micro, TV, A/C

I had not considered my power cord as a possible issue. I have a nice meter but don't know how to ohm out the cord. Guess I can look at YouTube for a video.
Thanks again to all for your thoughts and suggestions.

When you plug to a 15A outlet, you are using an adapter on your shore power cord, right?  So the power is still running through the 30A cord and breakers in your RV. The very same wires and plug that doesn't seem to work when plugged to a 30A outlet.  Only thing I can figure is that the physical 30A plug on your shore cord is damaged, but it happens to make contact OK when you use the 15A adapter.  I think I would replace the 30A plug - it is not difficult.

Camco makes a nice one with a grip handle.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55245-PowerGrip-Replacement-Plug/dp/B000PGXQNC/ref=sr_1_1

wvu83 said:
I have read all the replies. Thanks to all who took the time to offer suggestions.

The receptacle at one of the campgrounds was checked with a meter and showed it had a full 120 volts on it. If it had power then it's a safe bet the second campground pedestal did as well so I have mentally eliminated the campground pedestals as a source of the problem.

In my original post I said only the Micro didn't work. That was an example to let you know I didn't have any AC power. To clarify, when plugged into a 30 amp service we have never had any AC power in the RV (we've had the RV for less than 2 months). We get no Micro, TV or A/C.

Microwave and TV run fine when plugged into 15 amp service, and A/C as well for a minute or two. Everything works fine on generator - Micro, TV, A/C

I had not considered my power cord as a possible issue. I have a nice meter but don't know how to ohm out the cord. Guess I can look at YouTube for a video.
Thanks again to all for your thoughts and suggestions.

Ok, makes a little more sense now, 99%sure the male end is bad, loose or whatever, cheap to change, depot or lowes has them for $10, just take a picture of the wire layout before you take it apart, if you put them in the wrong order your going to have a bigger problem

Ok, when you plug into 30 amps. Do you use the same shore cord with a dog bone, or like me do you have a 2nd cord (I use 30 amps in about half the places I stay, the 30 amp cord is a cold weather cord Super flex, way easier to "Wrangle" so I use it on 30 amp sites.. Normally, instead of the heavier, more unwieldy 50 amp)

Also, Some RV's have an energy management system that sheds loads to keep you below 30 amp when on 30 amp? Some do not This makes a difference.

And finally there are differences in teh Auto Transfer Switches... Mine "Rests" on Shore power.. (That is the solenoids are not energized) I've seen some that "rest" on "No Connection" or on "Inverter" and when either Shore or Generator are active engage the proper solenoids. .

Gary RV Roamer said:
When you plug to a 15A outlet, you are using an adapter on your shore power cord, right?  So the power is still running through the 30A cord and breakers in your RV. The very same wires and plug that doesn't seem to work when plugged to a 30A outlet.  Only thing I can figure is that the physical 30A plug on your shore cord is damaged, but it happens to make contact OK when you use the 15A adapter.  I think I would replace the 30A plug - it is not difficult.

Camco makes a nice one with a grip handle.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55245-PowerGrip-Replacement-Plug/dp/B000PGXQNC/ref=sr_1_1

If it were the 30 amp plug that was bad then when I put the 15 amp adapter on it then it shouldn't work then either, but it does. Power has to flow through the same 3 prongs on the 30 amp plug whether I'm plugged into a 30 or 15 amp pedestal so not sure I understand how the 30 amp plug could be bad. I'm leaning toward a breaker problem inside. Anyway, taking it to a repair shop Saturday to let them hash it out.

wvu83 said:
If it were the 30 amp plug that was bad then when I put the 15 amp adapter on it then it shouldn't work then either, but it does.

Maybe, maybe not.

I have one adapter that I use that is tough to get on the 30amp side. I could be that your adapter is squeezing the prongs together enough to complete a connection. The same maybe true when plugged into genny. The CG post may have enough "slop" not to squeeze the prongs

If it were the 30 amp plug that was bad then when I put the 15 amp adapter on it then it shouldn't work then either, but it does. Power has to flow through the same 3 prongs on the 30 amp plug whether I'm plugged into a 30 or 15 amp pedestal so not sure I understand how the 30 amp plug could be bad.

Right. That's why some of us asked the question about use of an adapter vs a separate cord. However, there is a tiny chance that using the adapter forces a better fit or supports a loose pin on the plug better than a direct plug-in to a 30A outlet. A wobbly male plug can do some strange things!

A erratic breaker is even less likely to be a problem. Your same logic applies there - the electricity passes through the same breaker whether the cord is plugged to 15A or 30A outlet. and the breaker isn't subject to the mechanical stresses of plugging to an outlet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom