Installing Winegard Traveller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thebrits

Im hoping to install the Winegard dish soon.  I have an Intasca Suncruiser, 37C.  I wonder if I will need the mounting plate, which is sold separately, or can I just install the dish?  I assume the plate is to spread the load on the roof, but is it necessary on my MH.

If anyone has any tips regarding the installation, I would welcome any advice.  I will have a friend to help me, but any tips as to making the installation as easy as possible will be much appreciated.

TIA

Dennis

I installed a Winegard Trav'ler on my 2005 Voyage 38 J last winter.  I called Winnebago and they recommended using the mounting plate, so I did.  Whether it is actually necessary or not, I dont know, but I am sure the plate helps with stability of the Trav"ler, especially in higher winds.

The plates purpose is to protect the roof from the roller which rolls along the roof during extend / retract operations. I don't see it adding any stability beyond what is already provided.

bobsharon said:
The plates purpose is to protect the roof from the roller which rolls along the roof during extend / retract operations. I don't see it adding any stability beyond what is already provided.

Your understanding of physics must be different than mine.  Because the base plate is larger than just the Trav'ler itself, my belief is that it would take more leverage to deflect the Trav'ler with the base plate than without.  How much more stability the base plate provides, I an not sure.  Also, there is a small plate that can be purchased for the roller to rest on, if the base plate is not used.  I have one of those, too, but not in use.

Not invoking physics...strictly provided description and advertising received when I installed mine 5 years ago.
Make your own judgement call for need. As John stated has worked well for all that time.

Wonder if you guys are talking about two different plates -

Model SKA-004 is a roller plate for protecting a rubber RV roof.
Model SKA-008 is a thin roof support plate for reinforcement at the TRAV'LER antenna mounting

I used the SKA-004 roller plate on my rubber roof 5th wheel, but nothing on my fiberglass roof.  For $100 or so, I didn't see where the SKA-008 offered that much more of a bolt spread for stability, as it only expands the footprint by an inch, other than the extension for the roller.

Attachments

• trav.JPG
    trav.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 34
The guy that installed mine years ago later ended up working for Winegard as a dealer trainer. He said the large plate wasn't needed but I called Winegard anyway and they said it wasn't needed for my motor home. It was designed for RVs like some travel trailers that have much thinner roofs.

Frankly, I didn't even know about the plate and obviously didn't use it. I've since removed the antenna and installed it on a second mh. One suggestion would be to pick a location toward the front of the mh if practical. The convenient entry point for the cables is (at least in my two cases) just behind the nose cap where the wires may be easily fished into the front overhead cabinets.

Ernie

I installed a Travel'r on my coach. According to Winnebago, there were reinforcements in the roof for the Kingdome that was supplied by Winnie when the coach was new. They recommended the Travel'r be mounted there. Unfortunately, the front AC was in the way of the arm so I couldn't mount it there. I positioned it between the front and mid ACs. Since there are no reinforcements in the roof there, I got the large plate that goes under the entire mechanism. I used quite a bit of adhesive to glue the plate to the roof. I then used self drilling screws around the edge of the plate. I figured I could survive a 'small' hurricane. I then screwed the Travel'r to the plate and used Dicor all around everything. It's been about a year and nothing has come loose, so it's staying stuck.

It may be overkill, but I prefer that to underkill.

John Canfield said:
Bill & Janet Adams?

Yes it was. At Quartzsite a year or two or three before he went to work for Winegard. I bought the Traveler from him and he and Janet came to the RV park in Bouse where we were staying to install it.

Thanks for all the help  Still waiting to install it, but all the tips are very helpful

I installed the Dish Traveller on my Journey. I did not use the baseplate. I did however about a year later, purchase a small sheet of aluminum and installed it in the "landing zone" as the wheels were marking the roof. Hardest part of the install is getting the unit on the roof .... all the rest is easy. Good luck,

bobmacc said:
.... I did not use the baseplate. I did however about a year later, purchase a small sheet of aluminum and installed it in the "landing zone" as the wheels were marking the roof. ...
I need to do that on my roof. BTW, a good source of all kinds of metal, sheet, tube bar, etc., is onlinemetals.com. I've bought aluminum sheet, round bar, square tube, brass, steel, etc from them - decent prices and they will sell in any quantity.

bobmacc said:
I installed the Dish Traveller on my Journey. I did not use the baseplate. I did however about a year later, purchase a small sheet of aluminum and installed it in the "landing zone" as the wheels were marking the roof. Hardest part of the install is getting the unit on the roof .... all the rest is easy. Good luck,

Ya, I used some methods to get that on the roof that I may not ever try again! :)

I keep trying to decide if I want to go with the Trav'ler (remove my King Dome) or if I want to stay with an external dish to use in those times the King Dome does not receive. Of course on my last trip, I could not get the King Dome or the external dish to get a satellite. I blame tree cover in one instance (down in Verde Valley with some tall cottonwoods between me and the horizon), but the other time I was in wide open spaces in New Mexico.
So, let me hijack this a little regarding installation and operation - are both "doable." Course the refrigerator replacement happens in March 17, so the dish will be after that -

mickey53usa said:
I keep trying to decide if I want to go with the Trav'ler (remove my King Dome) or if I want to stay with an external dish to use in those times the King Dome does not receive. Of course on my last trip, I could not get the King Dome or the external dish to get a satellite. I blame tree cover in one instance (down in Verde Valley with some tall cottonwoods between me and the horizon), but the other time I was in wide open spaces in New Mexico.
So, let me hijack this a little regarding installation and operation - are both "doable." Course the refrigerator replacement happens in March 17, so the dish will be after that -

If you use Dish Network, bear in mind that if you use a portable Dish and a King Dome, you'll have to perform a check switch every time you change. On my receivers, that can take upwards of 20-25 minutes each time you switch.

Back
Top Bottom