EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Kala factory tour  (Read 754 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Kala factory tour
« on: November 04, 2016, 08:51:24 PM »
Today 24 Delta Strummers visited the Kala Brand facility in Petaluma, CA. The tour started and ended with a visit to their showroom, and in between we toured their "factory". All their "low end" ukes and guitars are built in China, and only the high end/custom instruments are made in Petaluma.

The facility is basically a simple wood shop with a few specialized tools, such as a laser cutter, a steam bender (for the sides), and a UV fast drier for their gloss finish.

Attached is a group photo; More photos are in the November 4, 2016 album of our (Delta Strummers) Photo Gallery.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 12:36:41 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Kala factory tour
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 09:13:24 PM »
I consciously checked out their Bass uke instruments. I really dislike the "rubbery" strings, but I found a bass uke with wound metal strings. Since I didn't plug into their amp, I couldn't really appreciate the sound. Something to check out at my favorite uke store, and a Kala dealer.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 08:31:03 PM »
Just an FYI ... their guitars have a very wide neck which made it tough for me to play. Our MD, who is a long-time acoustic guitar player, made the same comment about their guitars.

violajack

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 10:16:59 AM »
How fun! I had no idea they were just up the road in Petaluma. That might be within field trip distance for us.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 10:53:39 AM »
If you decide to plan a visit, our contact was Shaun (Shawn?). We showed up around 10.30am and went for lunch afterwards. They gave us goodies at the end of the tour, but no free ukuleles  ;D

Hosted by Over The Network