Kala factory tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Today 24 Delta Strummers visited the Kala Brand facility in Petaluma, CA. The tour started and ended with a visit to their showroom, and in between we toured their "factory". All their "low end" ukes and guitars are built in China, and only the high end/custom instruments are made in Petaluma.

The facility is basically a simple wood shop with a few specialized tools, such as a laser cutter, a steam bender (for the sides), and a UV fast drier for their gloss finish.

Attached is a group photo; More photos are in the November 4, 2016 album of our (Delta Strummers) Photo Gallery.

Attachments

• Kala_group.jpg
    Kala_group.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 19
I consciously checked out their Bass uke instruments. I really dislike the "rubbery" strings, but I found a bass uke with wound metal strings. Since I didn't plug into their amp, I couldn't really appreciate the sound. Something to check out at my favorite uke store, and a Kala dealer.

Just an FYI ... their guitars have a very wide neck which made it tough for me to play. Our MD, who is a long-time acoustic guitar player, made the same comment about their guitars.

How fun! I had no idea they were just up the road in Petaluma. That might be within field trip distance for us.

If you decide to plan a visit, our contact was Shaun (Shawn?). We showed up around 10.30am and went for lunch afterwards. They gave us goodies at the end of the tour, but no free ukuleles  ;D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom