Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: [Fixed] Bad news - FW tank is leaking  (Read 3008 times)

SD75mac

• ---
Re: [Fixed] Bad news - FW tank is leaking
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 09:09:14 AM »
Me also, FW tank or not.
Harold
2013 F150 4x4 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Winnebago UltraLite

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2017, 12:00:10 PM »
And after 24 hours we are still leak free  :) Time to button it back up and reload the 500 pounds of stuff I removed for access.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2017, 12:53:16 PM »
Good news John, well done!
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

8th May to 30th October 2017 - Touring Western US

boatbuilder

• ---
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 02:03:20 PM »
Glad you got it fixed.  Could have been a lot worse.
Charlie

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »
Outstanding John! I love it when you finish a job and everything turns out like you planned!
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2017, 06:47:36 AM »
Thanks guys! Now I need to take the coach to our local truck tire shop and get the slow air leak on an inside dual fixed. It only loses about 5 pounds a day so that might be hard to find  ::) .
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

boatbuilder

• ---
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2017, 08:11:41 AM »
5 lbs a day ought to show up with soap bubbles pretty easy. 
Charlie

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2017, 11:37:43 AM »
Hope so. I had a trailer tire with a slow leak that took a tire guy a long time to find - the sealing rubber gasket for the metal valve stem was folded over on installation. The weirdest one was a Goodrich (Goodyear?) All Terrain AT on my truck, they never could find the leak and surmised the tread had become separated somehow internally. Didn't make a lot of sense to me but this is a good local tire shop. They work on anything from a wheelbarrow tire to heavy equipment tires.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 12:29:29 PM »
Hope so. I had a trailer tire with a slow leak that took a tire guy a long time to find - the sealing rubber gasket for the metal valve stem was folded over on installation. The weirdest one was a Goodrich (Goodyear?) All Terrain AT on my truck, they never could find the leak and surmised the tread had become separated somehow internally. Didn't make a lot of sense to me but this is a good local tire shop. They work on anything from a wheelbarrow tire to heavy equipment tires.
In 1995 I bought a new 1994 Dodge Dakota pickup.  It one of those with Mark III spiffying - fender flares, low profile tires and mag wheels.  We moved to Chicago later and shortly afterwards I came out from work to find a flat tire.  I thought it was vandalism as the valve stem was missing.  I changed the tire then headed for a tire shop.  What they found was surprising, the tire had a tube in it!  The tire shop could find no reason for it.  They put in a new valve stem, aired it up and tested and tested.  No leaks.  So, off I went, still puzzled.  As time passed, I noticed that tire continued to leak down, very slowly, maybe 5 lbs a week or even less.  I had it examined a couple of times, but no one ever found a problem.  I just put up with it as it was approaching time for new tires.  I had new tires installed eventually.  Lo and behold, it still leaked!  Finally, I read somewhere about the mag wheels I had and where on occasion they would leak at the weld around the center of the wheel.  By now I'm approaching 100K miles.  I found an exact replacement on eBay, bought it had it installed.  I still have the truck.  No leak.  My guess is Mark III or the Dodge dealer had the same trouble I had.  Probably the dealer since the truck had sat on his lot for a year and they just put a tube in it so they could quit worrying about it.  I would have gone back to the dealer to raise hell, but the owner had since committed suicide.  I guess he knew I was coming.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2017, 06:56:35 AM »
.. I would have gone back to the dealer to raise hell, but the owner had since committed suicide.  I guess he knew I was coming.
That's quite a story! I still have my F-250, bought it new in 2000, the plan is to keep it forever.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Hosted by Over The Network