Class B smaller than Class C?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silverbackman

Class B RVs are usually smaller than the truck-based Class C RVs, correct? And generally cost less money?

Generally, yes, class B's are vans and smaller than class C's, although there are some large class B's out there. Click here for an illustrated description of various RV types.

I haven't shopped for a class B in many years, so I'm not current on prices. But, when we first started shopping, we kept seeing progressively nicer and more expensive vans, until we finally realized we could buy a class A motorhome for what some of the vans cost.

The Class B RVs are probably the most fuel efficient RVs since they are based on a van. I assume Class C RVs have the fuel economy of a truck, and Class A RVs have the fuel economy of a bus. Would this be accurate?

Generally speaking, that's what I'd expect. But fuel economy can vary significantly between models. e.g. friends of our ours had a class A that had better fuel economy than most class B's or class C's.

Tom said:
Generally speaking, that's what I'd expect. But fuel economy can vary significantly between models. e.g. friends of our ours had a class A that had better fuel economy than most class B's or class C's.

Do you know what RV your friend's class A was? How many miles to the gallon did it have?

It's tough to generalize like that, since body style (A/B/C) need not imply size and chassis. Class B's run up to about 24 feet in length and are built on van chassis. There are so-called B+ models that are nearly indistinguishable from Class C in look and size.  Class C's may also be built on a van cutaway chassis with the same powertrain as a B on the standard van chassis & body. If roughly the same length, you could expect the same fuel economy and performance as the B. Larger C's, up into the 26-31 foot range, will of course be less economical to operate. The full size vans used for most B's have the same chassis and power train as is used in the pick-up truck and van cutaway chassis used in Class C's, so there is no difference in fuel economy if the weight and size are similar. A few B's and C's are built on light duty van chassis such as the Dodge Sprinter and these get excellent fuel mileage - as much as 16-18 mpg with the diesel.

Class A's don't come quite as small as B's but they do overlap the larger C's. There are Class A's starting at 26 feet. Fuel consumption in post year 2000 models starts at around 14 mpg for the smallest & lightest and goes down to around 7 mpg  (older ones used to be down in the 6 mpg range). Most A's, those  of 32 feet or more, are in the 7.0-10.5 mpg range.

Our friends' prior motorhome was a Vixen. It had a small Volvo engine, although I don't recall the fuel economy number, just that it was somewhere between high 20's and low 30's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom