EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Inkjet printers - argh!  (Read 5614 times)

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
Inkjet printers - argh!
« on: November 08, 2016, 09:35:59 AM »
Anyone have any longstanding luck with a particular make/model of inkjet printer?  I did fine when older inkjets would willingly take refilled cartridges and work fine.  My last two all-in-one printers (a Canon Pixma and a Lexmark S-series) are great, UNTIL the factory ink cartridges run out.  Then they are too "smart" to use refill ink, and simply refuse to print without factory cartridges... which usually cost more than the printer itself.

I've looked into going back to an HP printer which seem to have a longest reputation in the consumer printing realm, but so many of them are negatively reviewed (on Amazon where I mostly read reviews) that I'm reluctant to buy yet another one.

This is mostly a rant, but I'd be happy to hear if anyone has an inkjet product that they just LOVE.  :)  I don't print enough pages to justify a color laser printer, unless I can find a good used one locally (I'm always checking Craigslist).
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Inkjet printers - argh!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 09:51:47 AM »
Many years ago I was a big HP inkjet printer fan, primarily because of their then-superior paper handling. As time went by, HP didn't support newer revs of Windows with updated drivers. Just found this again with my HP high resolution scanner.

A few years ago I went back to HP, and had issues with refilled cartridges.

For a few years, I've been using Canon inkjets, and have seen the same issues with refilled cartridges. I resigned myself to buying OEM cartridges, and try to manage usage (e.g. printing in draft unless I absolutely need higher quality prints).

Bottom line, this is the razor and razor blade story all over again and again.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 09:58:46 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 10:52:09 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MOSGSC0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used this printer for over a year and was extremely happy with it since refilled cartridges costs about a buck a piece at Amazon. Then I found the printer was full of bugs (real bugs) and threw it away. They no longer sell this printer and the replacement uses more expensive cartridges, but they are still way cheaper than Canon cartridges.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 10:53:44 AM »
Yeah, the printer mfgr's make their money selling ink, so they work hard to avoid letting others cut into that market. And seem to be pretty successful at it. I've found a few brands of aftermarket cartridges that work in my Epson NX300, but not reliably. One set works, but I buy more and they don't,  or maybe only 2 of the 4 colors work.  I don't use enough ink to put up with the aggravation, so started buying OEM again.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo With Ami the Chi-cha
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 12:34:51 PM »
Here is the latest one we bought.
So far, it's working pretty well.
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/118538/HP-OfficeJet-4650-All-in-One/

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 07:27:33 PM by LarsMac »
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

blw2

• ---
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 01:27:01 PM »
I stopped buying ink jets years ago.  We don't print all that often in color, and so when we'd go to use the thing the cartridges would be dry..... in goes the new cartridges for one or maybe two print jobs..... then some time passes.....dry again.
black and white lasers are the way to go IMO, unless a person has some specific and frequent need printing photos, charts, or graphs....
For the occasional photo, upload the image file to walgreens.com and go pick it up in an hour.
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 02:42:42 PM »
I haven't had an ink jet printer in about 10 years. We have a mono laser in the motorhome and a Samsung color laser in the house. I just watched for a sale to come around at Best Buy.

After replacing ink cartridges that dried up or leaked, and never because the ink was used up, I'm convinced that laser printers aren't any more expensive in the long run.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

ekrus

• ---
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 02:54:47 PM »
We've had good luck with Epson printers.  They complain about OEM cartridges but they print with them just fine.

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 03:11:52 PM »
I got tired of ink drying out before I could use it, so I bought a color laser printer. That was more than two years ago and I'm still using the original toner cartridges.

Of course I probably just jinxed it by saying that. :(
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2007 Yamaha TW200
Home town: Mableton, GA

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 06:56:29 PM »
I have 4 bottles of ink and all the syringes necessary for the cartridge refills, so I'd love to find some that work.  ;)  Supposedy there are ways to "fool" my Lexmark printer into thinking the cartridges are new, but so far I haven't had much luck with those techniques.  There are also chip reset devices that can be purchased to accomplish that task too (the ink cartridges have a microchip in them that tells the computer when the ink is gone), but I don't know how well those work either.

If I could find a decent price on a B&W laser I'd probably go that route.  My wife has a home business though and likes to print color items with her business logo, etc. sometimes too.  That's where our need for a color printer comes in.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 07:12:19 PM »
Ink cartridges don't really dry out.  Only the nozzles do.  I've been able to get them working again by setting the cartridge, nozzles down, on a wet paper towel for about 10 minutes.  It's worked for me a number of times.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 07:25:02 PM »
I thought about the $30 here, $60 there for ink cartridges. Then added in the nuisance of either moistening the old cartridge heads or going out to buy new ones... I decided to get a laser printer.

I paid around $250 for this color laser printer over 2 years ago. Just this weekend I hit the on switch, waited a minute for it to warm up, and printed 6 pages of neat and clear color documents. I then turned it off, and now it will sit there for another week, month, or more.

I like the convenience of knowing it's sitting there ready to print any time I want to. For me it's worth the extra I paid up front.
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2007 Yamaha TW200
Home town: Mableton, GA

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo With Ami the Chi-cha
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 07:31:15 PM »
Since I am working out of my Class C, space is at a premium. A small footprint inkjet combined scanner printer is almost a necessity. My color laser is a monster. Heavy and it sucks the electrons. The lights in the house dim when I power it on.

The new line of HP inkjet combination units are near perfect for my needs.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 08:00:36 PM »
If I could find a decent price on a B&W laser I'd probably go that route.

Scott, check out laser prices on amazon.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 08:42:32 PM »
Laser printers are really bad a printing photos. 

If you rankle at buying regular cartridges you'd really hate buying supplies for a dye sublimation photo printer.

TravlinOn

• ---
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 08:22:52 AM »
I have had really good luck with HP inkjet printers but I routinely find something I want to keep a print.  I try to take a picture of my campsites and CG's plus copies of posts here that contain useful info for future trips and possible problems I might have.  I cannot remember the last time I had a dried cartridge problem.

BUT, I might not want to buy an HP inkjet in the future if they continue to try to force their new "instant ink" contract onto customers.  If selected then "Instant ink" requires the customer to estimate his/her monthly print usage and HP sends cartridges automatically each month.  The number that is sent cannot be adjusted down.

I've read that supposedly if one elects not to have this automatic service, then any cartridges that are bought apart from the automatic plan will cost more and have about half the ink.  :(

2015 F350 SuperDuty, Diesel, 4x4, Dually, LB, MORryde Pin Box, Reese Elite
2010 Keystone Montana 3400RL

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 10:07:27 AM »
Laser printers are really bad a printing photos. 

If you rankle at buying regular cartridges you'd really hate buying supplies for a dye sublimation photo printer.

I've had good luck printing pix (not for publication, but 8x10 for wall hanging, as example) with my HP Color Laserjet 3700N -- it's as good as any inkjet I've seen, and isn't subject to dampness or smearing problems the way inkjets are. And the toner cartridges, while expensive, are cheaper than buying ink for the inkjets, over time, and last much longer.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

herekittykitty

• ---
  • Birch Bay, WA
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 12:13:13 AM »
Ink cartridges don't really dry out.  Only the nozzles do.  I've been able to get them working again by setting the cartridge, nozzles down, on a wet paper towel for about 10 minutes.  It's worked for me a number of times.

Thanks for the tip!
Am watching this thread with interest because while I'd love to have a trouble-free laser in the MH, I only have the room for one of those little old Canon Pixma inkjets.  :(
Karen and Teddy-the-Kitty
Mostly stationary for now in a 32' Class C (2013 Winnebago Access Premier)

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 06:55:59 PM »
I have one of those Pixma printers as a backup at home.  It's the best free printer ever.  I may not use it for a year but it always works.

Wish I could say that about the $$$ wireless multi function one. 

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 07:06:31 PM »
I have one of those Pixma printers as a backup at home.  It's the best free printer ever.  I may not use it for a year but it always

The problem is once you need ink.  The factory cartridges only come about halfway full, and it will cost $60 to replace them.  Once the printer "thinks" it is out of ink, it won't accept refills and essentially becomes a plastic brick.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 09:38:22 AM »
 ;)

Not this one.  It's too old to have that 'feature'.

To understand the rationale of this one need only look at razor blades.  And look at how much a pack of blades cost.  Even disposables are 10X what they are really worth.

I still have a Heathkit dot matrix printer (which I assembled).  Wonder if I could find a ribbon and drivers for it? 

BoomerD

• ---
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2016, 04:04:43 AM »
I'm also in the "Unless you HAVE TO HAVE color, " go with a small, inexpensive monochrome laser printer.

I have 2 nice Canon pixma color ink jet printers taking up space in my garage...haven't used either of them in more than 4 years. When we bought our laptop last year, it came with a low-end HP ink jet printer...haven't even taken it out of the box. (and the 1 year warranty expired already)  ::)

I bought a Canon monochrome AIO printer in 2007 for about $100 (shipped) and have never regretted the purchase. YES, the Canon toner cartridges are spendy...about $85 each, but I buy them over the aftermarket ones just because I ruined a couple of decent Epson ink jets with "best you can buy" aftermarket ink cartridges a few years back. Nowadays, I rarely go through a full toner cartridge in a year, so it's not that expensive for us. We also have a HP AIO ink jet that we got for a "steal"...but it costs almost $100 to replace all the ink cartridges...so it's not THAT great of a deal.

Decent quality laser printers can usually be found for less than $100 if you watch for them on the various computer and deal sites.
Current coach: 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 02:48:01 AM »
Ive also been up and down this road with InkJets. The latest is a several year old H-P 8500 that has replaceable jets and separate tanks. I've gone to refils that the entire set is cheaper than a single SMALL HP Blk refill, so that what I'm sticking with. The jets were finally replaced this week for the first time. This printer does background print head wipe downs and maint which probably explains why its probably 10 years old now. Its WAY too big for RV FT IMO tho

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 08:40:30 AM »
I'm just kinda bummed because I bought refill kits (bottles of black/yellow/cyan/magenta ink, syringes, etc) for my two inkjets... one Canon and one Lexmark... enough to give me at least a dozen refills.  And now I can't use this stuff on either one because the printers are too "smart". :P  There are fairly cheap (aftermarket) cartridge kits available for the Lexmark so I guess I could try that.

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2016, 11:46:19 AM »
BTW, the HP complains they are empty and cant print, so I hit OK and print anyway.

Also, look around on eBay. I have seen inkcart 'chips' that I assume fake the printers into accepting the refilled carts

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2016, 09:17:33 AM »
If anyone runs across any dy-no-mite Black Friday / Cyber Monday (which all seems to be combined this year) deals on a reputable laser printer, post it here please! 

I've seen these today:
- Best Buy has the Brother HL-2320D (in store only) for $49.99 through tomorrow "while supplies last."  I doubt I'll make it to the store though.
- Amazon has the Brother HL-L2300D (not sure of the difference from the 2320D) for $59.99 currently, not sure when that price will increase.

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2016, 07:04:01 AM »
If anyone runs across any dy-no-mite Black Friday / Cyber Monday (which all seems to be combined this year) deals on a reputable laser printer, post it here please! 

I've seen these today:
- Best Buy has the Brother HL-2320D (in store only) for $49.99 through tomorrow "while supplies last."  I doubt I'll make it to the store though.
- Amazon has the Brother HL-L2300D (not sure of the difference from the 2320D) for $59.99 currently, not sure when that price will increase.

I'm working on my checklist for my RV and having a small printer is a must as space is a premium for sure in my RV....I gotta say reading this thread is moving me to a laser printer as our need for color isn't critical and like others have said...can always go to walgreens or walmart or a staples and get color print when absolutely necessary...I like to see what have with small footprint lase printers as well
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2016, 07:48:00 AM »
Epson has some new "Ecotank" printers that don't use cartridges. Instead, the have an ink tank for each color. When they run out, you just pour in a new bottle of ink.

The printers cost more, but the ink is very inexpensive. If you do a lot of printing, this is the way to go.

Joel
Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

docj

• ---
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2016, 08:49:30 AM »
I'm working on my checklist for my RV and having a small printer is a must as space is a premium for sure in my RV....I gotta say reading this thread is moving me to a laser printer as our need for color isn't critical and like others have said...can always go to walgreens or walmart or a staples and get color print when absolutely necessary...I like to see what have with small footprint lase printers as well

While doing a visitor center volunteer job a couple of summers ago I had a chance to make a lot of use of an inexpensive Canon laser printer; considering in was in the ~$200 range I was impressed with its reliability.  It's toner cartridge was relatively small for our purposes then, but in home use it would have been fine.  My biggest problem with a laser printer in the MH is finding the vertical space for it.  My ink jet sits on a high shelf that doesn't have the clearance for a laser.  The footprint isn't all that different just the height and I still need an all-in-one since scanning seems to be needed once or twice a month, at least.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2016, 11:06:31 AM »
While doing a visitor center volunteer job a couple of summers ago I had a chance to make a lot of use of an inexpensive Canon laser printer; considering in was in the ~$200 range I was impressed with its reliability.  It's toner cartridge was relatively small for our purposes then, but in home use it would have been fine.  My biggest problem with a laser printer in the MH is finding the vertical space for it.  My ink jet sits on a high shelf that doesn't have the clearance for a laser.  The footprint isn't all that different just the height and I still need an all-in-one since scanning seems to be needed once or twice a month, at least.

I found a brother  B/w laser at amazon for $60, I'll have tuesday.  I ordered a couple generic toner cartridges for $22 total.  Its a bit larger than a compact inkjet but won't have the issues with clogged nozzles.
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH

Hosted by Over The Network