EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Inkjet printers - argh!  (Read 5663 times)

GR 'Scott' Cundiff

• ---
  • Here and There
    • Here and There
Re: Inkjet printers - argh!
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2016, 11:32:38 AM »
I found a brother  B/w laser at amazon for $60, I'll have tuesday.  I ordered a couple generic toner cartridges for $22 total.  Its a bit larger than a compact inkjet but won't have the issues with clogged nozzles.

Depending on your needs I think you'll be happy with it.  Before I was retired I used the printer a lot, so never had a problem with dried out printer nozzles.  After I retired I would often go a month or more without needing to print anything.  Every time I'd have to go through multiple cleaning cycles and wasted paper to get it going again.

Finally, I got a laser similar to what it sounds like you bought.  I went with one as simple as possible.  To this point it has never failed to print a good b/w document the first time. 

I hope you have the same level of success.
2008 6.4L SRW F-350 Diesel - 2007 Hitchhiker  - http://travel.pastorscott.com

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2016, 04:13:21 PM »
Quote from: decaturbob
I found a brother  B/w laser at amazon for $60

Where did you find that?
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2016, 06:28:44 AM »
Depending on your needs I think you'll be happy with it.  Before I was retired I used the printer a lot, so never had a problem with dried out printer nozzles.  After I retired I would often go a month or more without needing to print anything.  Every time I'd have to go through multiple cleaning cycles and wasted paper to get it going again.

Finally, I got a laser similar to what it sounds like you bought.  I went with one as simple as possible.  To this point it has never failed to print a good b/w document the first time. 

I hope you have the same level of success.

I have a large format cannon inkjet printer I use very sparingly and takes me an hour to get decent prints out and smaller epson we use all the time but chew thru ink cartridges....to me this laser printer I am getting I can easily use at home for 90% of what we print and then put it in the RV...and not have the print cartridge issues.  The challenge in getting our RV is to figure out space allocation and have what we need for a minimum...This is the real challenge of RV ownership and use for sure.
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2016, 06:47:00 AM »
Thanks Bob. I must have missed that Brother printer when I was looking. Let us know how it works out.

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2016, 09:00:11 AM »
As luck would have it, I found and purchased a like-new condition Canon duplexing laser printer from a private seller (found on Craigslist) for $25.  Seller says it has a newer toner cartridge worth several thousand pages in it too.  It's a monochrome printer but that's mostly what we need at home, so can't beat that price for an introduction to laser printers.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2016, 09:07:56 AM »
Congrats Scott.

herekittykitty

• ---
  • Birch Bay, WA
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2016, 05:39:08 PM »
Does anyone happen to know what the smallest monochrome laser printer available is?

So far the one that I've seen advertised as "compact" is a Brother one, but its footprint is 14" x 14" and it weighs 15 pounds. UGH. I need to be able to keep it in an overhead cabinet unless/until it's needed.

I'm finding out firsthand just what a bad idea it is to rely on an inkjet printer when you only need a printer about once a month.
Karen and Teddy-the-Kitty
Mostly stationary for now in a 32' Class C (2013 Winnebago Access Premier)

Trivet

• ---
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2016, 07:19:06 PM »
Here's a Dell that has the same 14x14 footprint, but is a little bit more svelte at 12.8 pounds.  Pretty cheap at $49.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-e310dw-wireless-black-and-white-laser-printer-black/8913069.p?skuId=8913069

I don't suppose there's a compact laser printer with a scanner out there anywhere.   

docj

• ---
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2016, 06:56:48 AM »

I don't suppose there's a compact laser printer with a scanner out there anywhere.

This one is 16x16x 10.5 high and it scans.  This is about as small as I've seen anywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BHSL7VY?ref=emc_b_5_i&th=1
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2016, 08:43:41 AM »
Thanks Bob. I must have missed that Brother printer when I was looking. Let us know how it works out.

with the way my wife prints our pages at home....the cost savings on ink cartridges alone should pay for it....lol. I keep telling her everything is going paperless....

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2016, 09:06:28 AM »
How many pages do folks get out of a toner cartridge?

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2016, 09:57:18 AM »

It is so printer-dependent Tom, that I can't give a hard and fast number, but I've had a laser printer of some sort for many years (clear back in the early '90s, even), and I've always found they are much cheaper per page than ink-jets (as well as mostly more convenient). The monochrome laser (HP P2035n at 600 dpi) sitting beside me right now has been here for at least three or four years -- can't find a date, and is still on the original toner cartridge*. If you use it a LOT (as I did in the '90s with my Laserjet 4M), you might have to replace the toner once or twice a year. Or a typical business might replace every three to four weeks, if it's a group printer.

All that being said, though it is printer-dependent, a toner cartridge on all those I've had outlast many, many ink-jet cartridges. And you don't worry about the ink drying up. The printed page is also less susceptible to smearing from wet or sweaty hands.

Later: I checked the "supplies" page and it shows I've printed 832 pages with this cartridge, and have (approximately) 1768 pages remaining.

*The configuration page shows that this is not the first cartridge, but that I've printed 4284 pages total, including 129 envelopes (printing the address).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 10:20:32 AM by Larry N. »
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2016, 11:19:28 AM »
Good info Larry, thanks.

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2016, 06:53:19 AM »

the brother laser I'm getting...and toner cartridges I'm getting says 2500 pages+

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2016, 07:34:04 AM »
Thanks Bob.

Trivet

• ---
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2016, 06:28:33 PM »
This one is 16x16x 10.5 high and it scans.  This is about as small as I've seen anywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BHSL7VY?ref=emc_b_5_i&th=1

Thanks.  The 16" is a dealbreaker because of the size of my cabinet, and 10.5" high would take some rearranging.  But at least it confirms my thinking that there's not a truly compact all-in-one laser printer out there.

I think I'm going to go with a monochrome laser printer and a standalone flatbed scanner.  Copying will entail scanning to .pdf and then printing, which won't be any fun, plus it'll be black and white, but I'm desperate to escape the ink jet printer shenanigans.  The scanner is about the size of my laptop, and can be tucked away somewhere and pulled out when I need it.  Again, not fun, but I just don't want to play those ink jet printer games any more.

I was thinking I could get both for a little over $100, but the Dell printer I linked to above is sold out--did all y'all buy it out from under me?  Dang.  Show some mercy for fulltimers who have to arrange a shipping address!

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2016, 08:34:45 PM »
But at least it confirms my thinking that there's not a truly compact all-in-one laser printer out there.

I've not come across one, and I suspect the scanning function is the major limitation in size, plus multi functions have to fit in there.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2016, 08:24:38 AM »
Thanks Bob.

I kinda kicking myself in the butt for not turning to a simple laser printers years ago...would have saved a lot of grief as well as expense on cartridges.. I have my Brother laser printer all set up at home. Not real happy with one of my win10 laptops as I can't "see" the printer connected to my router and ended connecting to my win7 workstation via USB and sharing it...and then windows firewall issues cropped up as I don't use it...but some how it throws a wrench into some other window services not starting that are needed to "share" a printer....how I long for the win2k days of computers....

docj

• ---
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2016, 06:49:11 PM »
I've not come across one, and I suspect the scanning function is the major limitation in size, plus multi functions have to fit in there.

Of course, one could substitute using a phone to photograph a document rather than using a scanner.  I did have to do this one day when my scanner started acting up after a Windows 10 "update".  The insurance company which I sent the photos to didn't have any concern with using them in lieu of a "scanned" document, but I'm not yet ready to do that on a regular basis.  OTOH, if photographing a check is enough to get it deposited on a bank's app, then why isn't it good enough for any other purpose?
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2016, 07:07:48 PM »
Of course, one could substitute using a phone to photograph a document rather than using a scanner.  I did have to do this one day when my scanner started acting up after a Windows 10 "update".  The insurance company which I sent the photos to didn't have any concern with using them in lieu of a "scanned" document, but I'm not yet ready to do that on a regular basis.  OTOH, if photographing a check is enough to get it deposited on a bank's app, then why isn't it good enough for any other purpose?
I have been using my phone as a scanner for a few years even though I own a perfectly good scanner. The phone is just easier to use.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2016, 08:54:58 PM »
There are also apps for phones and tablets that will correct the parallax if the camera isn't perfectly aligned to the document.  The one I have for my iPad lays a grid on top of the picture and lets you stretch or compress the image until it lines up with the grid.

I use it all the time to send receipts, etc. gathered on the road back to the office.

spacenorman

• ---
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2017, 10:01:06 PM »
I'm using a cheap Epson "All In One" wireless printer.   I paid a hair less than $50 for it.   Microcenter is selling a similar printer for $39 at the moment.  Cheap, color, "all in one" - so it prints, copies and scans.   I print and/or copy maybe 50 pages a year with it.   I scan 100s of pages.   I've gotten more than a year of use from the ink cartridges that came with it - and the little bit of printing I did a week or so ago came out fine.   If/when the ink cartridges need replacement - I'll look assess the costs.   With cheap options available - I'll play the game and simply replace the printer when the time comes.  It's counter-intuitive to cheap bahstads like me - but, I can learn.    As I said - my printing needs are meager at best - my primary need is for its scanning capability.
The Spacenorman
2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43 DFT
2012 Jeep Liberty
http://www.penquinhead.com/

Hosted by Over The Network