Slideout questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesheba

Recently bought a 1999 Holiday Rambler 5th wheel (29RKS).The unit came with 2 slide outs,12 footer and 6.5 footer in the bedroom.I observed damage to both horizontal (top) seals to the slide outs and with some difficulty found the proper seals and replaced them. As long as I was at it, I  decided to also replace the out side weather stripping on the larger S.O..It showed quite a bit of UV damage.After the installation of the stripping I noticed upon complete closure (retracted in) that the top portion of the S.O. would not seat completely. Curiosity got the best of me and I watched the unit retract. As it reaches the final inches of closure the top touches first,but does not compress the weather stripping very much.As it continues to close the bottom pulls in very tight and slightly pulls the top away.To create an even seal I opened the S.O. a small amount to allow the top to seal again,but without sacrificing the side seal.In other words an even compressed seal all around,but not a complete compression.This does leave the S.O. out a bit?? The original stripping was compressed very flat from years of use, where as the new stripping does offer some resistance to compression.Might I assume time and weather will allow the S.O. to close completely as the stripping gets a more flat memory? I also wonder if the "stop screw" on the frame might have been tampered with allowing the S.O. to close too far?I did notice the "plate" that the retractor/extender shaft is attached to is bent inward towrds the main unit body.Hmmm? I get a funny feeling these slideouts can be a source of problems!Sorry for the length of this,but I wanted to draw a clear picture.BTW.......I did use the proper size and shape weather stripping.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom