New 2017 Vista LX--Steering wheel not straight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin Kelly

Hello,

Got my new Vista LX and the steering wheel is not straight.

Seems to drive fine checked under the front end and appears no way for me to adjust it.

Numerous e-mail to dealer has got no reply.

What is my next step to do?

Kevin Kelly--Iowa
Mesa -Val Vista --Jan -March 2017

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Take a ride to the dealership and talk face to face with the service manager. If that doesn't help, ask to see the dealership manager. Then to the dealer owner. You should be able to get that corrected.

Ford dealer would be best place to take it. The steering wheel needs to be removed and then put in place straight. An alignment of a new motor home is never a bad idea and is recommended by most manufacturers.

A proper alignment will not result in the wheel being off straight, and removing and replacing the wheel is a bandaid not a fix.

In my experience any new motor home should be aligned by a GOOD alignment shop, you can spend much more on tires if it is off, not to mention handling problems.

By GOOD alignment shop I mean a place where the tech  knows his job, not one who aligns vehicles when he is not otherwise occupied.

Old Racer said:
A proper alignment will not result in the wheel being off straight, and removing and replacing the wheel is a bandaid not a fix.

In my experience any new motor home should be aligned by a GOOD alignment shop, you can spend much more on tires if it is off, not to mention handling problems.

By GOOD alignment shop I mean a place where the tech  knows his job, not one who aligns vehicles when he is not otherwise occupied.

It's not a band aid fix if the vehicle is correctly aligned and they neglected to position the steering wheel correctly

Most column shafts have a master spline that will only allow the steering wheel to be installed in one position. This prevents you from adjusting the wheel mounting in either direction.

From Ford Service Bulletin

BCM 5818 ? F53 And F59 Steering Clear Vision Adjustment

Some F53 Motorhome and F59 Commercial chassis vehicles may exhibit steering system clear vision concerns. 
Clear vision concerns can be corrected by re-indexing the steering shaft to steering gear connection.
Refer to the steering column shift ? Motorhome procedure workshop manual section 211-04 steering system.  Other steering
or suspension concern should be addressed using the workshop manual. 

Got it all taken care of.

Winnebago dealer sent me to an authorized Ford Dealer that does that and had it aligned and everything is good, with no charge as it was under warrantee.  Mileage was 350 miles on the machine.

Kevin Kelly

i Had not checked back in a while, but I repeat, it is, IMHO, a bandaid fix. A competent wheel alignment tech would not let this happen, and he would or should be embarrassed to give it to you in that condition. It means he did not set it up right, not that it is out of alignment. These days with a steering wheel full of electronics, a bad idea.

I don't know how this continues to happen. My 2004 Ford C Class was this way when I took delivery. I pulled out of RV dealer made a U turn and returned. They told me I would have to take it to Ford. We "discussed" it further and they took it to Ford. I test drove a 2012 Vista and found the steering wheel not centered. The 2013 Vista I later bought had the same problem. I didn't even bother hassling with them knowing once I had it fully loaded I would have it professionaly aligned.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom