Happy 241st biirthday to the USMC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
The US Marine Corps is 241 years old today! We are so grateful for the Corps and what they've done and continue to do to protect our country. Tomorrow we honor the veterans of all 5 branches of the armed services.

To all the Marines on the forum, thank you for your service.  There are probably more, but the one I think of first is Mike Lawrence, Wendy's husband.  Tomorrow we can thank Wendy for her service, too.  :)

A few years ago, Chris and I had the distinct honor of visiting the home of a WWII Marine Corps dive pilot who earned the Distinguished Flying Cross. I was just in awe listening to the stories and looking at the memorabilia in his office.

I'd known this hero for a little over a year, but he had never once mentioned his service to our country. The clue should have been the Marine Corps flag flying outside his house. It was only when I noticed a plaque recognizing the Flying Cross, and specifically asked "who?", that he reluctantly said with some humility "I have to own up". That's when he pointed to various items adorning his office walls and bookshelves.

One item of memorabilia was a book entitled Baa Baa Black Sheep, signed by the author Gregory "Pappy" Boyington, a fellow squadron pilot in AVG (Flying Tigers), VMF 214 (The Black Sheep). In the book were other items of memorabilia, including a business card signed by a Japanese pilot with the boast "I shot down Pappy". Our host met this Japanese pilot some years later at the Reno Air Show and challenged his claim.

I had two uncles who flew in the R.A.F. during WWII, one of whom was shot down, so this day was especially meaningful to me.

I am not a Marine, but I had the privilege of serving with them at Camp Pendleton at the end of the Viet Nam war. I was in the Navy Dental Corps and was always embarrassed that the Marine CORPS invited us to their birthday party and attended the Dental CORPS  birthday party, "because we are sister CORPS." I have the deepest regard for the Marine Corps and was proud to serve their dental needs, but to compare the Dental Corps with the heroic deeds of the Marine Corps is not fair to the Marines. Happy Birthday U.S. Marine Corps. I love you all.

I was in the Air Force but I spent 16 months with the Marines at Parris Island. I was attached to the Pentagon, assigned to the naval medical unit and had marines working under my command. What was funny was when they would ask when was the Air Force birthday and I didn't know. They thought that I was crazy. Since I was the only AF on post I was invited to the generals house for the birthday party. Great bunch of people and they always treated me great. Happy Birthday USMC! 

Happy Birthday Marines,

My Father, Brother and Uncle proudly served their country in the USMC.

Robin

Back
Top Bottom