"Greenie" question about water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilvrT

Totally green to RVing and Boondocking. We're planning to become full-time RVers next August for a couple years at least.

We plan to boondock much of the time. We'll be pulling a 5th wheel.

My question is ... what are some of the common and un-common places a person goes to fill their water tank?

Well if you are staying at RV parks you can add 10-20 Gallons before hitting the road and fill as needed.. I do like to have water in the tank when on the road but no need for FULL

If you "Boondock" or Dry Camp a lot. Then you may have to search for water but most places will have some somewhere.. State parks for example (Mostly dry camps) will have water SOMEWHERE. you can pull up to.  Even winter camps often have at least one winter proof water tap.

Many ranger stations have fresh water fills for RVs.  Some even will let you dump the waste tanks.

We do not sit in camp all day.  We are out and about doing things.  Carry a 5 gal water jug with you and every time you pass by a good water source fill the jug.  Add it to your fresh tank when you return to camp.  This stretches your fresh water quite a bit.

We also carry a five gal jug and do as poster above states.

there are lots of different sizes of water containers...Amazon has a good selection. I have found out that sometimes you find the perfect spot to camp and after getting everything setup it would be a total pain to hook up the rig just to add water. What I did was purchase a 35 gallon water tank (white plastic) that fits easily in the back of the JK. I also purchased a 110v electric pump. This was for 2 reasons. First is on my Class A I can't seem to find a gravity fill water inlet. Number 2 is even if I did find one I found out those 5 gallon jugs of water are heavy and akward to hold up pouring into a funnel. Yes I know about siphoning, not interested in that these days. Lots of choices!

John, can you provide a bit more info on 35 gal jug. Would like to get same one to put in my JK. Thanks

Becks the Brand name is Norwesco...35 gal water tank. #45223. Dimensions are 29"L  X  20" W X23" in Height.  I found mine on Amazon. Has built in area for a couple of nylon ratchet straps for hold down if you feel so inclined.

I know this is an older post but....

They talk about getting water in a bucket when out and about.

But I have NO IDEA how I would put water in my fresh water tank.

The ONLY way I know of is when using a hose, turn the switch to "fill tank" when full - turn it to "city water"
I have never seen or read in my manuals that there is a secret compartment or door to ADD water without a hose.

So How do you add water to a fresh water tank with a bucket or container of water?

Boondocking for 1-2 years?  A tank in the back of your truck that can refill your tank would be great.  Remember the tank should be made of FOOD GRADE plastic.  A 12 volt pump is REALLY a good idea with adequate lengths of hoses.  I would stay away from the collapsible water jugs.  I find they always spring a leak at the most inopportune time.  If you use have Guerrilla Tape handy to patch leaks. 

There are several ways to transfer water to the Fresh Tank using a bucket but the easiest way is don't do it.

I use a plastic "Jerry Can" myself.

That said,  Two people one holding a funnel with a flexible net

Or a ladder and a siphon

or as someone said, a pump, hand or power matters not

Finally  SOME (not all) RV's have a "Winterizing" system that lets the on-board water pump "Suck" Pink-Stuff out of the bottle.  With a bit of luck it may be set to fill the fresh tank (However no guarantees here) If I had that option (I don't, but could easily add it) It would work.

But the bucket on the ladder (or other high place) and a siphon hose is .. Well it's how I transfer Gasoline (Different jug though, differne siphon hose too)

RedandSilver said:

The ONLY way I know of is when using a hose, turn the switch to "fill tank" when full - turn it to "city water"
I have never seen or read in my manuals that there is a secret compartment or door to ADD water without a hose.

So How do you add water to a fresh water tank with a bucket or container of water?

My Bounder had the valve to use when hooked up to city water(previous owner removed it for some reason).  There is also a door with a filler neck similar to a gas filler.  I suppose you could get a funnel and a bucket and use that filler, but I usually just stick a hose in it.

RedandSilver said:

I had a similar problem with my Damon Intruder motorhome - the only way to fill the tank was via the city water inlet.

I went to Harbor Freight and got a 12 volt liquid transfer pump.  The inlet and outlet are both standard 3/4 inch male garden hose threads, so I also got a metal double female adapter for the inlet side.  Or just hook up the inlet hose backwards.

Run a garden hose from the container to the pump and another one from the pump to the city water inlet on the RV.  Clip the pump across a battery and you're pumping water.

This differs from the water pump in the RV in that it doesn't have an automatic shutoff.  So make sure the tank fill valve is on before you start the pump.

Lou Schneider said:
I had a similar problem with my Damon Intruder motorhome - the only way to fill the tank was via the city water inlet.

I went to Harbor Freight and got a 12 volt liquid transfer pump.  The inlet and outlet are both standard 3/4 inch male garden hose threads, so I also got a metal double female adapter for the inlet side.  Or just hook up the inlet hose backwards.

Run a garden hose from the container to the pump and another one from the pump to the city water inlet on the RV.  Clip the pump across a battery and you're pumping water.

This differs from the water pump in the RV in that it doesn't have an automatic shutoff.  So make sure the tank fill valve is on before you start the pump.

Thanks for the idea.

That does seem like it would be the ONLY way to get water into MY Fresh Water Tank.

IF I were to do this I would try and get a set of 12 volt wires into (or near) the water compartment since my
batteries of course are on the other side of the coach.  Then hook up a quick connect for powering the pump.

I just placed the pump next to to the battery on my tow car, then ran a hose from there to the RV's water inlet.  Clipped the pump to the toad's battery.

Lou Schneider said:
I just placed the pump next to to the battery on my tow car, then ran a hose from there to the RV's water inlet.  Clipped the pump to the toad's battery.

Sounds like a good idea IF I had a tow car.
Maybe someday.

Lou Schneider said:

I did almost the same thing except I used a Shurflow pump the same as the coach has, so I have a backup pump I can swap out if I ever need it. Bought the necessary fittings to hook to garden hose, then bought a collapsible bladder tank for use when boondocking. Pump from the bladder into the city water connection. Wired to cigarette lighter plug and use toad lighter plug. Also have a female cigarette lighter adapter which can be clipped to coach batteries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom