Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Programing TV to air antenna  (Read 4110 times)

2011winnie

• ---
Programing TV to air antenna
« on: November 13, 2016, 07:55:22 PM »
2011 Winnebago Access Premier 31JP   Trying to get the TV to work on the air antenna. Did the scan thing, checked the right TV button, booster is on, 12 volts going to antenna via coaxial, bought new Winegard antenna.....still no channels being picked up. My other TT TV works fine in same location.  Any ideas?

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 06:31:48 AM by John Canfield »
2011 Winnebago Access Premier 31jp

WILDEBILL308

• ---
Re: Programing TV to air antenna
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 09:02:41 PM »
2011 Winnebago Access Premier 31JP   Trying to get the TV to work on the air antenna. Did the scan thing, checked the right TV button, booster is on, 12 volts going to antenna via coaxial, bought new Winegard antenna.....still no channels being picked up. My other TT TV works fine in same location.  Any ideas?
On the TV before you did the scan for stations did you change from "cable" to "antenna" I think it is in input. I know on my tv it is before you scroll down to the scan.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 07:25:16 AM »
I assume this is a new to you rig? Has the TV ever worked for over the air reception? Did you check the cabling behind the TV into the switch box?
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 07:29:23 AM »
On the TV before you did the scan for stations did you change from "cable" to "antenna" I think it is in input. I know on my tv it is before you scroll down to the scan.
Bill

I have a Vizio. I have to click the menu button on the remote, then scroll down to TV then there's an option for tuner mode. Either cable or antenna.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 06:05:45 PM »
After choosing either Antenna or Cable there should be an Automatic Programming function.  Did it get to that?  Without that you won't get any stations.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

2011winnie

• ---
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 12:19:04 PM »
Sorry for the late reply....I think this is one for the Gremlin inspectors....

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 11:53:57 AM »
Sorry for the late reply....I think this is one for the Gremlin inspectors....
what about all the questions asked above?

2011winnie

• ---
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 04:17:57 PM »
Jeff,

I tried it all....lol  It's gotta be something so simple that I've missed or something too complicated for me.  :)

2011winnie

• ---
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 06:50:43 PM »
Finally had the time to work on this. I used a second TV to rule out some things. I traded off coaxial connections from the BOMB to this TV. Everything worked using the second TV, I was able to get as many as 22 channels. I then hooked up the factory installed TV again and it still wouldn't pick up any channels. I'm going to replace the factory installed TV with a new one.

I can't say I understand why the original TV won't pick up any channels, but hopefully a new TV will solve the problem.

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 10:03:48 PM »
Finally had the time to work on this. I used a second TV to rule out some things. I traded off coaxial connections from the BOMB to this TV. Everything worked using the second TV, I was able to get as many as 22 channels. I then hooked up the factory installed TV again and it still wouldn't pick up any channels. I'm going to replace the factory installed TV with a new one.

I can't say I understand why the original TV won't pick up any channels, but hopefully a new TV will solve the problem.
A TV that old may not be able to receive digital broadcast without a converter box. My first LCD TV couldn't receive over the air channels after they made the change with out a converter box.   
2003 National Dolphin 5320
496  8.1  Workhorse

98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 07:41:24 AM »
92GA,
It's a 2011, it will be digital.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y (pre DEF)
2007 Saturn Vue

Mile High

• ---
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 08:43:25 AM »
A TV that old may not be able to receive digital broadcast without a converter box. My first LCD TV couldn't receive over the air channels after they made the change with out a converter box.
2011 is "that old" already? Man, I better start looking at trading in! :)
Brad and Dory
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E (new to us 2016)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FMCA 457993 / WIT W170238
Denver, CO

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 09:27:41 AM »

If it does, it will be purely serendipity.  The chance that the tuner has failed on a 5 year old tv is extremely thin. Not inconceivable, but waaaay unlikley.

The problem is 99.99% likely to be in the set-up of TV or its cabling. Even if the tv is in "cable" mode rather than "antenna" or "air", it should find at least a couple of those 22 stations the other tv gets.  It does need to be in a digital tuning mode, though. If it is trying to do analog, it probably won't get anything from today's over-the-air (antenna) broadcasts.

What make & model tv is it?  Does this tv work with other inputs, e.g. a DVD or park cable?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 10:47:36 AM »
If it does, it will be purely serendipity.  The chance that the tuner has failed on a 5 year old tv is extremely thin. Not inconceivable, but waaaay unlikley.

The problem is 99.99% likely to be in the set-up of TV or its cabling. Even if the tv is in "cable" mode rather than "antenna" or "air", it should find at least a couple of those 22 stations the other tv gets.  It does need to be in a digital tuning mode, though. If it is trying to do analog, it probably won't get anything from today's over-the-air (antenna) broadcasts.

What make & model tv is it?  Does this tv work with other inputs, e.g. a DVD or park cable?

What Gary asked & said, And...

You could go thru the Menu and find the system/master "Reset" feature (?)to reset everything back to Factory defaults. Then start from scratch on all the settings and inputs ?

I go with Gary's 99.99% theory.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:21:40 AM by BIG JOE »
Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Kitten in Training.

2011winnie

• ---
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 06:36:04 PM »
Yea, If this was an 8 trac in a 1974 Chevy I'd be all over it...lol

I think the TV should work too. It was set to "air" when I checked it out.
It does work with the DVD, I haven't had it connected to cable yet.
I'll check and see it there is some sort of "reset" for it.
The TV is a Jensen 19", not sure of the model. It is a package set up with DVD and coach radio.

I'll have to take it down to replace it so it should be easier to get to. If I find that it works, I'll put it back up and use the new one in the bedroom.

panthercity

• ---
  • Brand-spankin' new 2018 Nexus Phantom 32SC
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 02:46:45 PM »
Hi Winnie2011! We bought a 'lightly used 2011 Access Premium 31NP in December of 2015. Somewhat surprised at some of your information. Took us several trips before we really got the hang of our entertainment system. First, our front TV is a 32" Furion. The bedroom set is a 19" Furion. If the BOMB is set to Antenna for the TV, and the switches are correct, and you go to menu on the TV, tell it to scan it should show something. (We learned on the third trip that the turning around three times and casting last nights chicken bones wasn't really necessary.)

Obviously you've already tried all of the above. Just making sure we are on the same page.

Have you physically removed the TV?

I removed ours (what a PITA!) to set it up for satellite. And have a little better idea as to what goes where. Does yours look like this?

Certified JB Welder.
Certified 3M Duct Tape installer.
Certified Farmer's Co-Op bailing wire expert.
Graduate of the "Rock on the side of the Trail as a Hammer" school of motorcycle repair.
Getting old is just a matter of narrowly missing all the things that kill you.

panthercity

• ---
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 02:48:17 PM »
This is the thread I started a bit ago.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=102097.0
Certified JB Welder.
Graduate of the "Rock on the side of the Trail as a Hammer" school of motorcycle repair.

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 04:25:58 AM »
Yea, If this was an 8 trac in a 1974 Chevy I'd be all over it...lol

I think the TV should work too. It was set to "air" when I checked it out.
It does work with the DVD, I haven't had it connected to cable yet.
I'll check and see it there is some sort of "reset" for it.
The TV is a Jensen 19", not sure of the model. It is a package set up with DVD and coach radio.

I'll have to take it down to replace it so it should be easier to get to. If I find that it works, I'll put it back up and use the new one in the bedroom.
so throughout all of this have you been able to screw another external antenna directly into the TV itself? I'm not a big fan of Jensen, but these days dead electronics in TV's are somewhat rare. If that works you can at least go back to the antenna

denmarc

• ---
  • "I put a spell on you!"
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 05:20:14 AM »
Sometimes I'm glad I didn't throw out my old CRT TV!
This thread is giving me a headache!  ;) :D
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 06:59:47 AM »
Sometimes I'm glad I didn't throw out my old CRT TV!
Get rid of the tube TV and save about 20-50 pounds!
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 08:31:24 AM »
Furion is not a highly regarded brand, the TV could be toast,  but it's also likely to be the BOMB.  Try swapping the output being used by the back TV with the front and scan again. 

Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Mile High

• ---
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 10:19:43 AM »
Starting to see Furion everywhere in RVs (first sign that it is a cheap brand :)).  I saw Furion on the new cooktops and ovens, back up cameras, and I think even awnings.  Furion must be the new LCI or else LCI owns Furion.
Brad and Dory
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E (new to us 2016)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FMCA 457993 / WIT W170238
Denver, CO

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2017, 03:21:51 PM »

I know what you're saying. But the stupid thing still works great. An old AC/DC 13"er. Small screen, I know. I have to squint a bit to read the small print when watching the weather.
And I'm a permanent park. Don't care about the extra weight.
Kind of a testament to the old saying "They don't make 'em like they used to."
Mark

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

2011winnie

• ---
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 06:52:02 PM »
UPDATE    The Jensen TV seems to be the problem. I tried another TV and it worked great!  I went to install the new TV, but I found out there are not the same amount of plug ins in the new TV as the Jensen has. Another minor setback/headache. I bought a splitter that will work for the new TV.  The new TV does not mount up to the mount as the Jensen did. I have to make some adjustments with spacers and brackets....yeash.  For now the Jensen can stay, I added another coaxial lead to the TV3. If I need to use the "air" antennae I just use the new TV hooked to TV3.  Campgrounds almost always have cable anyways.  What a trip for something that should have been simple....lol

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 06:38:21 AM »
Glad you found the problem, thanks for checking back in!

I've been toying with the idea of replacing my Hitachi flat panel in the Horizon's salon for an LED backlight model (much lighter, less energy) but that might require more carpentry - that's the issue of building cabinetry around a particular model of TV.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 11:24:21 AM »
I know what you're saying. But the stupid thing still works great. An old AC/DC 13"er. Small screen, I know. I have to squint a bit to read the small print when watching the weather.
And I'm a permanent park. Don't care about the extra weight.
Kind of a testament to the old saying "They don't make 'em like they used to."
No they make them much better. With prices falling you can get a nice hi def GIANT screen(compared to the 13") that you can actually see the weather report on.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-24-class-23-6-diag--led-720p-hdtv-black/4569901.p?skuId=4569901
$89.00 not 3D or Hi def but a step up.
I know you might have space limitations so here is anouther smaller TV.
http://www.consumerreports.org/products/lcd-led-oled-tvs/samsung-un28h4000-259830/overview/ From around $160.00
Next as an example having a movie theater in your home.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-40-class-40-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/5133600.p?skuId=5133600
$549.00 You can see  the dimples on the weather girl....
Bill
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 11:44:08 AM by WILDEBILL308 »
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 12:07:59 PM »
Yep, there are ZERO advantages in an old CRT anymore. The world has gone digital and those things are just dinosaurs that simply don't work without a converter box, but they still look awful. Geeeze, you can find 19-22" flat screen receivers in sale for $50 all the time now. You might actually save your eyes while you're at it. We ain't going back, ever... so move on

panthercity

• ---
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 03:37:02 PM »
UPDATE    The Jensen TV seems to be the problem. I tried another TV and it worked great!  I went to install the new TV, but I found out there are not the same amount of plug ins in the new TV as the Jensen has. Another minor setback/headache. I bought a splitter that will work for the new TV.  The new TV does not mount up to the mount as the Jensen did. I have to make some adjustments with spacers and brackets....yeash.  For now the Jensen can stay, I added another coaxial lead to the TV3. If I need to use the "air" antennae I just use the new TV hooked to TV3.  Campgrounds almost always have cable anyways.  What a trip for something that should have been simple....lol

That's great!

Certified JB Welder.

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »

Ahh.. Memory Lane:

1 5r ago, I upgraded to a 32" Visio Flat Screen... from a 26"(?) Sony Trinitron (CRT). It was ALL my neighbor and I could do.. to heft that thing out of the RV cabinetry, and out of the rig (drug it on an old rug)and into my pick-up, that I had backed up to the rig door.

When we got to the E-waste site.. we just rolled it off the tailgate. When it hit the ground.. it left a gouge in the asphalt ! The E-waste guys had forklift.. gave us a hand loading/dumping it into their bin. No Way could we have lifted that thing to the bin door.

I think I got 1, maybe 2 MPG's more.. after doing that Up-Grade ???  ;) ;D
Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Kitten in Training.

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2017, 10:36:15 AM »
Yep, there are ZERO advantages in an old CRT anymore.

I know! I get it!
The only thing that has put it on the back burner for me is the darn thing still works fine. And being out in the woods with no sat or cable, only terrestrial TV, old episodes of I Love Lucy and The Andy Griffith Show look the same on almost any TV in the middle of the night.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:09:51 AM by denmarc »
Mark

Dr. Seuss

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2017, 09:30:44 PM »
Sometimes it's just time to upgrade. ;)
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
-Mark Twain-

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »
Yeah, yeah, yeah!
Call me old fashion!
I still have an old Westinghouse fridge in my garage that's over 25 years old that keeps our beer and soda cold. Works like it was built yesterday. Am I going to update? HELL NO!  ;)
Mark

Dr. Seuss

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2017, 04:37:30 AM »
Well if that's all your watching then it might not make sense. But anything not in a 4:3 ratio will never look right

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2017, 06:22:46 AM »
...I still have an old Westinghouse fridge in my garage that's over 25 years old that keeps our beer and soda cold. Works like it was built yesterday. Am I going to update? ...
Those old fridges are huge energy wasters, it might still work, but it's terribly inefficient.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 07:03:51 AM »
I know, John. But it's in the garage at the stick & brick home. And it was given to me for free! I've had it for about 10 years and still works perfectly. It's unplugged during the winter. It's no big deal. It just comes in real handy for keeping the adult beverage, cases of bottled water, pop, etc. cold and ready to bring to the TT for stay.

It just amazes me that the old fridge just won't die!
Mark

Dr. Seuss

Hosted by Over The Network