Generation gap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Picking up my meds this morning, the young gal "called out" my name. The somewhat older pharmacist (a new face) said "I saw him when I was in college, and I love Delilah". The younger gal said "I don't think I've heard that". I sang one line, and she remembered it  ;D

That's funny.  When my daughters were in the marching band in high school I always marveled at what they thought was new music.  I was afraid to tell them that most of the time I had the album from when it was first released.  Didn't want to scare them off.

You not only sound like him and bear the same name, you look somewhat like him, too.  I'm surprised you don't get unmentionables tossed on the stage when you're in concert.  ;D

My favorite story ... 15 or so years ago I answered a ring at the doorbell, the UPS driver put a parcel in my hands, and said "my mother loves your songs". I closed the door and it took a few seconds to realize what just happened, and I cracked up.

Scratching my head on this thread.....
"Queen" sang Delilah, as did the Plain White T's. Tina Turner sang about Delilah.
Only now did I just figure out what your last name is Tom.. LOL 

LOL Bob, I've had the name a long time. I was born 20 miles from my namesake (he was actually born Thomas Woodward), and he made more money than me  :(

Tom said:
LOL Bob, I've had the name a long time. I was born 20 miles from my namesake (he was actually born Thomas Woodward), and he made more money than me  :(

Yeah.... But you know more about boats and RV's than he does...... ;D

Here's the rest of the story ...

The other TJ sang in pubs and clubs in South Wales. He appeared on a TV 'Star Search' type of program(me). Long before the internet or smartphone voting, we voted via postcards. The person who got the most postcard votes came back next week with a new slate of contestants. He appeared in tight white pants, wiggled his hips, the girls screamed, and he came back next week and the week after, etc.

LOL Bob, and Bob Buchanan was mistaken for Kenny Rogers.

After Kenny Rogers visited some plastic surgeons, Bob looked more like Kenny Rogers than Kenny Rogers did.  Still does!  ;D

Tom said:
My favorite story ... 15 or so years ago I answered a ring at the doorbell, the UPS driver put a parcel in my hands, and said "my mother loves your songs". I closed the door and it took a few seconds to realize what just happened, and I cracked up.

Hi Tom,

This is fun! Wondering if the UPS Driver's Mom lived down the street from you and came over and listen in on music night at your house, just under your window?  ;D

LOL Al, knowing where the UPS depot was, they probably didn't live in our town.

boatbuilder said:
That's funny.  When my daughters were in the marching band in high school I always marveled at what they thought was new music.  I was afraid to tell them that most of the time I had the album from when it was first released.  Didn't want to scare them off.

One of the new trends is to "re-mix" a classic song.  Basically load it into a PC, add a couple of new instruments and re-issue it as a new performance.  Or sample the original song and integrate it into a new track.

The radio station I work for plays quite a few of these and it drives me up the wall.  Just about the time I start enjoying hearing an old classic, they break in and start playing the added parts.  It's completely jarring for anyone familiar with the original performance.

Lou, I just experienced (first time) an example of a re- mix lIke you described. Chris had her "60's on 6" channel on, and on came a nice rendition of Danny Boy,. I'm thinking "I wish I could sing it like that", and then, the track breaks into this awful, unrelated, noise with a lot of percussion.

Back
Top Bottom