Hunting Island and Edisto Beach, SC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steelmooch

We were sad to learn about the extensive damage to both Hunting Island and Edisto Beach state parks in S.C. during the recent hurricane. 

I'm wondering if anyone in the area perhaps has any information or any "feel" for how the recovery is going thus far? 

We were scheduled to camp there in June, 2017 on a more "inland" site. 

I see that they've already refunded all sites through 2016, and that the "beach" side sites will remain closed until 2018. 

They've said that they're hopeful that the more "inland" sites might be open for the summer (currently closed until May, 2016)...I'm hopeful that they have a safe and successful recovery...but as they've already cancelled up to May, it feels "hopeful" that it'll be up and running in June. 

Any on-the-ground or local intel would be much appreciated.  Thanks! 

Steelmooch...Where did you learn that the beach campground at Edisto was closed until 2018?  Was that Edisto or Hunting Island?

We had reservations for Edisto at the beach campground in March.  We always stay there for a couple of weeks on our way back north from our winter site.  We got a phone message and an email canceling our March 2017 reservation and a full refund.  I went on the Edisto web site and it reported that Edisto's beach campground would be closed through 2016 but the forest campground would open in November.  I sent an email last night asking if our cancellation was in error as our reservations are for over two months after December.  No reply yet.

We are going to have to get started trying to fill that hole in our schedule...not easy along the coast with snowbirds returning AND spring breaks!!

Hello - my apologies for the ambiguity...I was speaking specifically about Hunting Island

I've read that Hunting Island has completely closed off its beach-front loop through ALL of 2017, unfortunately. 

You're right...it's somewhat "slim pickins" to find an alternative to Hunting Island and Edisto (if, indeed, that is necessary) along the coast.  If you can go a few hours northward up the coast, there's Huntingdon Beach and Myrtle Beach state parks in SC.  Down the coast, there is Skidaway Island and a few others in GA. 

Good luck! 

Thanks;  We have reservations at Huntington Beach but needed to fill the 10 days before arriving there due to the Edisto closure.  Our stop before Edisto is Stephen Foster State Park in the Okefenokee Swamp of Georgia.  We spend a couple of weeks there in March about every other year.  I scrambled around today looking for sites since Edisto did cancel our reservation and has not answered our email.  I found and reserved a site at Laura Walker state park in Georgia.  We have been wanting to try there and it's only a 6 hour run to Huntington Beach SP.  We will be heading to Huntington Beach on our way south in a few weeks.  Guess I better start reserving for the 2017/18 winter.

Laura Walker has a really nice golf course and it's close to all the stores in Waycross. 

It's funny how hurricanes work. I live in Mt. Pleasant 30 miles north of Edisto and 15 miles south where the storm made landfall. I didn't get any damage or flooding only some leaves in my yard

our July 4th week was canceled at Hunting Island and we have recieved our refund :-\

Back
Top Bottom