EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: how to boondock  (Read 1044 times)

bklyncat58

how to boondock
« on: November 16, 2016, 07:13:45 PM »
we have never boondocked .we are planning a trip to myrtle beach s.c. in april .we live in s. jersey .I keep hearing how you can stay at Walmart .would we stay hooked up to the truck and just put the legs down. we have a 26ft travel trailer .how long will my lights work for can I put up my atenna to watch tv .can I make coffee in the morning. any help

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: how to boondock
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 07:41:49 AM »
Disconnecting from the truck or not is your choice. Most leave it connected for an overnight stop, but if you need to drive the truck somewhere, e.g. restaurant or the beach...

Your lights work off the trailer battery, but how long that lasts depends on how many lights and how long. None of your 120v outlets work without shore power, so an electric coffee maker won't work. A coffee pot on the gas stove does fine, however.

You can use your antenna, but the tv won't work without external 120v power.

Be aware that not all Walmart location allow overnight stays. City ordinances or shopping center policy may prohibit it. Nor should you plan to set out the BBQ grill or lawn chairs - it's not a campground.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 07:55:22 AM »
Take heed of Gary's caveats. I can tell you from first hand experience (not at Walmart) that being loudly woken by law enforcement at 2am and being told to 'move on' is not a fun experience. The only time we were 'camped' where we shouldn't be, I drove to a nearby Marriott Hotel, checked into a room at 2:30am, and parked the coach in their back lot.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

blw2

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 09:23:15 AM »
.....Nor should you plan to set out the BBQ grill or lawn chairs - it's not a campground.

& I don't think it would be advisable to unhitch a TT for that matter, at something like a wal mart.
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

blw2

• ---
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 09:25:27 AM »
Take heed of Gary's caveats. I can tell you from first hand experience (not at Walmart) that being loudly woken by law enforcement at 2am and being told to 'move on' is not a fun experience. The only time we were 'camped' where we shouldn't be, I drove to a nearby Marriott Hotel, checked into a room at 2:30am, and parked the coach in their back lot.

Tom, you've probably told this story before, but I don't recall...... so what sort of place were you when you were run off?

We done this a few times now, but have always been careful to ask if its ok.....
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 09:34:59 AM »
We have stayed overnight in Walmart parking lots a few times while traveling (plus one night at a Cabelas). I do not consider it "camping." I always call the store first to confirm they allow overnight parking. I also ask where they want us to park. We pull in, level the trailer, and put out the slide (we look for a spot where the slide will be over grass, not stuck out into a lane). Most of the time we don't unhitched, but sometimes we do to get fuel for the truck, a much easier task without the trailer. We are well set up for boondocking with a stove top coffee maker (an Aero Press makes great coffee!), LED lights, big fresh/gray/black tanks, a 12 v TV and VCR, etc. As others have said, your wall sockets won't be powered. In the morning we take a shower, have coffee, pack up, and are generally gone by 8:00.

There are a few places we have seen where folks obviously stay for multiple days, but you won't find that allowed in popular tourist areas. I would be amazed if the Myrtle Beach area allowed parking lot overnights at all, but the OP may have been talking about his travel to the area.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 01:19:58 PM »
Brad, it was the mid 80's, and I was dockmaster for a fishing tournament involving 80 boats. We'd rented a bunch of dock space from the Marriott at the Berkley marina, and I decided to bring the coach and not worry about our boat. Figured I'd be too busy dealing with all the other boats. Parked the coach on the street at the edge of the marina, overlooking the harbor.

I woke up to loud banging on the door and a very bright light. Thought I'd just lay there quietly, and they might think there was nobody home. That's when Chris woke and started yelling "Tom, there's someone at the door!". I tried explaining to these two large officers that "I'm with that boat club over there ...", but it met with a firm "move on". That's when we checked into the Marriott.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:05:30 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Hosted by Over The Network