Anyone using a Chevy Sonic as Toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evil Santa

I just bought a 2012 Chevy Sonic to set up as a Toad. Planning on using Blue Ox Alpha tow package from Hitchsource. Also the Patriot braking system. Was just wondering if anyone else is towing the Sonic and have any tips or complaints. For the last 4 years we have towed an enclosed trailer. Will miss having my garage with me. My wife will not miss having the big Motor Scooter when the weather is lousy. She will miss having the washer and dryer I set up in the trailer though. I've got a few weeks to get set up so any usefull info greatly appreciated. Expecting Blizzard conditions this weekend so getting anxious.. :)
Thanks, Jim

grashley said:
I just checked Remco.  The 1.4L Automatic can not be towed 4 down.  All other models may be towed 4 down.

Thanks, I checked before I bought it. It's a 1.8L sedan so.all good..

I'm towing a 2015 Chevy Sonic (Manual trans). I use the Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar and the Patriot braking system. Haven't had any issues in 7000 miles of travel. Just remember to charge the Patriot between uses to maintain a full charge. There's a fuse that you'll need to pull or set up a bypass switch to prevent battery drain, it's listed in the manual. Also, the Patriot needs to be plugged into a 12v to operate, my Sonic 12V outlet only worked if the key was in and on or at accessory. I added an extra constant 12v outlet under the dash to plug the Patriot in when towing.

Tom In Vegas

Thanks Tom, I did see that the 12 v socket was dead with the fuse pulled. I plan on the bypass switch and the auxiliary plug. Did you just wire the plug into the fuse box or go to the battery with it? Seems like a decent little car so glad to hear no problems..
Jim

Evil Santa, I just wired it directly to the battery with an outlet and fuse from the Auto Parts store. That I could do, as for the baseplate, I had that done here in Vegas at TNT Motorsports. Yes, I like the car, decent mileage and pretty comfortable for a subcompact. Even the back seats are ok. It's got a good safety rating as well with all the airbags.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom