Internet connectivity for Canadians - in Canada and USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilvrT

Can anyone advise me on what company provides Internet connectivity in both Canada and the USA so that when I'm travelling, regardless of which of the two countries I am in, I will have Internet service?

I did see somewhere here that the word Shaw came up (I currently use them for my home service as well as TV).

None that I am aware of. Shaw does not operate in the USA. The popular method is to use cell phones as an access point but that would require services in both countries unless you happen to catch a tower on the other side of the nearby border, a two edged sword on top of that, cross boarder service (ie roaming) is very $$$

Alfa38User said:
None that I am aware of. Shaw does not operate in the USA. The popular method is to use cell phones as an access point but that would require services in both countries unless you happen to catch a tower on the other side of the nearby border, a two edged sword on top of that, cross boarder service is very $$$

What do you do ... when in Canada ... and in the USA ... do you use 2 different providers?

If this is the case, I guess I could use Shaw or Bell or? when in Canada and then Verizon or AT&T when in the USA ??

What do you do ... when in Canada ... and in the USA ... do you use 2 different providers?

Yes. I use PetroCanada mobile for a pay as you go cell phone in Canada, no internet access and Tracfone for a pay as you go phone in USA, again no data needed. For Internet in Canada, Bell, as part of my home phone service. Internet in USA: the local cable company, most recently. WIFI if and when available.

Note: my needs are NOT the same as yours, I am in fixed locations at both ends of the trip, a snowbird, and not traveling like you might be doing. There are quite a few cell phone providers in Canada, many of whom actually piggyback on Bell, Telus, Shaw or Rodgers networks to provide cell service.

Alfa38User said:
There are quite a few cell phone providers in Canada, many of whom actually piggyback on Bell, Telus, Shaw or Rodgers networks to provide cell service.

Yes, I know this as I am a Canadian living in BC. I use Fido and wife uses Telus for cell service. We use Shaw for internet and TV.

Guess I should have clarified that at the beginning.

EDIT:  just updated my profile to show location.

I realize this thread is a little old.

Millenicom is a service that covers the US and Canada.
http://www.millenicom.com/sign-up/

Millenicom is a service that covers the US and Canada

Millenicom does not operate as a cell phone service provider in Canada. If you mean the phone will work, then yes, this service is often called 'roaming'  and it can become quite expensive. If you mean 'working as a service provider in Canada' then I would have to disagree, never heard of them here and they do not advertise here in Canada AFIK. Most major US providers can supply a working phone for a price through roaming agreements with the major Canadian cell phone providers. The same is true for Canadian providers working in the USA ($$$).

Alfa38User said:
Millenicom does not operate as a cell phone service provider in Canada. If you mean the phone will work, then yes, this service is often called 'roaming'  and it can become quite expensive. If you mean 'working as a service provider in Canada' then I would have to disagree, never heard of them here and they do not advertise here in Canada AFIK. Most major US providers can supply a working phone for a price through roaming agreements with the major Canadian cell phone providers. The same is true for Canadian providers working in the USA ($$$).

Millenicom is a T-Mobile MVNO, and they offer the same free access to Canada and Mexico as regular T-Mobile subscribers using T-M's roaming agreements.

Note that Verizon NEW "unlimited" plan (as TODAY) will allow up to 500MB of data usage daily in Canada and Mexico (restrictions unknown at this time).
Unlimited is in quotes because it may be throttled after 22GB and only includes 10GB of tethering (don't know if you can may a fee for more)

Back
Top Bottom