firewood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hopefulrver

camping in the wilderness offer plenty of free firewood. What about state parks that will not allow gathering of dead wood? Maybe a small trailer to carry tools and firewood?

Hello HopefulRVer,

IMHO, there's a good reason most parks (not only State) don't allow gathering of dead wood: it needs to go through its natural cycle of decay so as to feed the microorganisms, fungi etc and in the end return the nutrients to the ground. Burning the wood breaks that circle and robs the ecosystem of all that.

When we go to any nature camping, we always buy firewood  , and always nearby, so as not to risk bringing in invasive pests from other places. AFAIK this is the standing recommendation in the parks we've been camping at.

Cheers,
--
  Vall & No.

We are in PA and have camped in PA, MD and DE so far.  We prefer state parks and find that in at least each of those states, you cannot bring in firewood due to the risk of bringing in foreign insects.  Most commercial campgrounds we have been to have the same rule.  We mostly abide by that rule though we do take any unused firewood with us when we pack up and burn it at the next campground.  Some parks have permitted gathering of deadwood.

Most parks ban firewood gathering because it decimated the woods around the campsites due to too many people gathering. The camping areas were just totally denuded. We used to buy a pile of firewood from our home area, store it in the backyard, and take some with us when camping. Invasive pests in firewood are such a huge issue that we no longer do that. Buy local, burn local is the key phrase these days. We also bought a propane fire pit. It is allowed even when here are fire bans, a not uncommon situation where we like to camp.

While camp hosting the past two summers at a forest service campground in northern Mt a different policy was used.  Campers were told they could pickup any down wood for their camp fires.  Any live tree or limb cut resulted in a serious fine. We regularly cleaned the ash out of the fire rings and spread the ash where needed to aid in new growth.  To leave a limb or tree to decay  took 25 to 125 years for the type of trees in that area. Its the fallen wood in the high mountain forest areas that aid in serious wild fires by adding extra dry fuel.  I used to use ash from wood burning power plants to spread on my hay fields when needed.  Firewood should not be transported from state to state and in some cases from one area to another.

The Emerald Ash Borer has really changed the firewood market in the upper Midwest. It is a federal violation to carry firewood across state lines in the infected areas. I live in an area that was infected many years ago. It's illegal to move firewood into or out of this county. Of course the local campground owners love this, they can piously post their no outside firewood signs at the entrances, while selling you tiny little bundles of firewood at enormous prices. 

Virginia's state parks and many private campgrounds in Virginia require that you buy wood from them because of the insect issues.  It's actually easier this way any way...more expensive, but easier.

On my first trip with our rig the ranger told me that you will often find places outside the campground that have wood far cheaper.

I don't mind buying a bundle off the campsite host if they make a few bucks from it.

We went to a local campground back a few years ago and their rule was no firewood could be brought in. They used the insect issue as the reason. You HAD to buy it from them. I then asked if I could bring in scraps of lumber like pieces of 2 X 4's etc. and they said I could not but could not give me a answer as to why not. We stayed that weekend but that was the last time and only time we went there.

At one of the state park campgrounds in Indiana, I was told it was okay to bring in firewood as long as the bark was off and also to burn scrap 2x4's.  Don't know if that was the interpretation there or state-wide.

Rene T said:
We went to a local campground back a few years ago and their rule was no firewood could be brought in. They used the insect issue as the reason. You HAD to buy it from them. I then asked if I could bring in scraps of lumber like pieces of 2 X 4's etc. and they said I could not but could not give me a answer as to why not. We stayed that weekend but that was the last time and only time we went there.

Same thing, same reasons here only... Saw bundles of firewood in the local town for $5.00. Had a sticker with the Splitter's business Logo & phone numbers.

Saw the Same bundles, same sticker, at the campground for $9.00.

Don't mind anyone make'n a buck. But they could be a little more discreet about it ?

We haven't been back, and won't go back.

BIG JOE said:
Same thing, same reasons here only... Saw bundles of firewood in the local town for $5.00. Had a sticker with the Splitter's business Logo & phone numbers.

Saw the Same bundles, same sticker, at the campground for $9.00.

Don't mind anyone make'n a buck. But they could be a little more discreet about it ?

We haven't been back, and won't go back.
Not firewood, but a KOA I went to last year goes to a grocery store a mile away and stocks the camp store. They buy store brand so its a bit more obvious.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SPK550
Back
Top Bottom