Removing Soft Touch Ceiling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bukhrn

I have the dreaded water damage in the ceiling, the roof has been repaired, but now i need to rebuild the ceiling, I started by attempting to remove the vinyl soft touch material, well as is my luck, the vinyl material pulled off, but the foam backing stayed in a large area, I've tried scraping it with a putty knife and a razor type scraper, both to no avail, is there a chemical that will dissolve this foam or at least make it easier to remove, it's Not the same type of foam backing used as carpet underlayment.

i can't say what works, yet. I have the same problem and will have to start working on it soon. I've talked to a few folks that have done this. One recommended a wire brush, the other suggested a 3M adhesive remover. https://www.zoro.com/3m-remover-adhesive-24-oz-184-oz-net-6041/i/G1202047/?gclid=CJbevoP83NACFQwIaQodHIkFTw&gclsrc=aw.ds 
Hope this helps

This is the same type of foam used in auto headliners. Usually in a headliner the foam deteriorates and comes off easily with a wire brush or orbital sander. Messy job for sure trying to strip it in place. When it's ready to recover use contact cement (Weldwood) not the spray can stuff. Good luck!

bukhrn said:
I have the dreaded water damage in the ceiling, the roof has been repaired, but now i need to rebuild the ceiling, I started by attempting to remove the vinyl soft touch material, well as is my luck, the vinyl material pulled off, but the foam backing stayed in a large area, I've tried scraping it with a putty knife and a razor type scraper, both to no avail, is there a chemical that will dissolve this foam or at least make it easier to remove, it's Not the same type of foam backing used as carpet underlayment.
  I redid mine on a 90 pace arrow wire brush & vacuum I then put up insulation the kind that has foil on both sides using a good construction adheavise ( this part is important get the adheavise at lowes can't remember name but has a number & possible letter on it if I remember correctly red & yellow tube, then put up 4x8 plastic sheets cut to size of coarse, (can't remember what they call that either old age I guess lowes has that also. you see them plastic sheets in restrooms shauers,etc then plastic 2x1/4 strips on joints & finished 1x2 wood strips on sides. looked better & insulated better than  factory. the only part not done was the cab above driver that was ok aprox 2 people 3/4 of a day. hopes this helps

Is there a specific place there to work on replacing a roof there or can you work on it wherever you're camping?

just to add to my reply: I believe the adhesive at lowes or some other places is F26 like I said yellow & red tube I tried several others and after I got one end up the other would be coming down, just wire brush the heaver foam off, you don't have to have a perfectly clean surface. then I put up marlitte 4x8 sheets after insulating. hope this helps.  dabrown

Kdoll said:
Is there a specific place there to work on replacing a roof there or can you work on it wherever you're camping?

To work on replacing the outside roof at any RV in a campground you would best ask before starting. I am sure some would not allow such a big job in their "RV RESORT" but others may.

Back
Top Bottom