Screw-in TV Aerial to Std Push-in Aerial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi Guys

My new TVs have arrived today.

The one being removed from the RV has a screw-in lead which attaches (obviously) to a screw-in Aerial Socket on the TV.

However, the new TV has the push-in type of Aerial Socket that Im used to in the UK.

What is the name of the Adapter that I need to buy to allow me to use the screw-in lead on the push-in TV socket ?

Attached is a picture of the sort of thing I'm thinking about.

And will WalMart or Home Depot sell one ?

Thanks
Paul

Attachments

• ftocoax.gif
    ftocoax.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 26
Paul,

I don't recall the name, but you can buy them at RadioShack or Ace Hardware. Wal*Mart might also have them.

The screw in is called an "F" connector, the push in is a "Euro-Style" connector.  Alas, i don't know what the connector is called otherwise.  My Samsung tv/monitor/PC-monitor uses one.  Don't care for it myself.

Thanks Guys

I guess the clue was in the name of the picture I downloaded - ftocoax = F to Coax !!

Easy when you've been told the answer, isn't it.

Just got to hope there is somewhere in walking distance now as I daren't move the RV now I've half-unscrewed both TVs  ::)

BTW does anyone know how to make a 29" TV weigh less ?

Carrying it into the RV, Ann-Marie thought the TV was a bit heavy - but I found the weight of the plug to be OK (gotta watch the back  ;D).

I just know she's gonna whine when it comes time to lift it into the cabinet.

Paul

Paul,

Here's RadioShack's version that that call "European TV adapter". They also offer this one which is a "Screw-On to Push-On "F" Connector Adapter ".

Tom

Once again, you're a STAR !!

And my luck is turning - there's a Radio Shack less than a 1 mile cycle ride from me AND, after calling them, they have 3 in stock which they will keep for me this afternoon.

Only downside is it means the bike has to come out.

Paul

Ann Marie dumps the tanks, takes care of the dump hose and now has to lift the TV into the cabinet? I really have to introduce her to my other half.

Tom,

You missed out the bit where she had to climb under the RV to secure the motor brake on the slide too  ;D - she didn't have much choice on that one as I couldn't fit.

She has had a 15 minute lesson this week on how her new Macerator works - only a classroom one as we haven't got it wired up yet.

Installing TVs

You won't believe this but after walking to Radio Shack and back for the F - Coax Connectors, I now find the TVs have rounded 2-pin plugs so now need the straight-type.

Do you think she will go and get some for me? - she can walk faster than me - it would only be half of one hour for her to go.

Paul

HELP !!

The connectors are the wrong ones.

The lead screws into one side of the connector and the other side "looks" like the right one to connect to the TV Antenna socket but it isnt big enough.

It seems the exact same size as the whole its trying to fill.

Paul

Paul,

Could that be a difference between the two types of connector that RS sells? Which one did you buy?

Hi Tom

I rushed thru your post and didnt give a thought to the two being different - just different prices, and I went for 3 of the cheaper one  :-[

But I cant see from your first link whether it is correct or not - it could do with an end view.

The Manual for the TV refers to that antenna input as a "75-ohm external terminal"

The image on the input looks like "2 letter L back to back and upside down"

Paul

Paul,

If we were talking about only U.S. receivers, the second one ('F' connector) would be the one to buy. Since you bought multi-national TVs, it's not obvious if those TVs have a "PAL connection", or even if the PAL connector is different in size from the U.S. one.

Hi

I got it sorted.

Your first link was the one we needed - the expensive one.

I cycled down to radio Shack and swopped the connectors over and got 3 power plug adapters (at $7 each - should have gone the extra 200yrds to WalMart).

The new TV in the bedroom is now working fine.

I need to get a "bendy screwdriver" to fix the slide out bracket and the top of the cabinet (nidden from view) needs around 2mm shaved off it - but that can wait until we get back to the UK (the dockers won't be able to get the TV out as it is  :eek:).

Tomorrow, the large TV comes out and a bigger one goes in.

Still havent got the DVD Recorder wiring sorted, but have a few days to work on it yet - if all else fails, it can wait until we get home.

Paul

PS Tom - I only recently came across the Donations link at the top of the Forum pages so have sent a small offering. The forum (and everyone's contributions) has been invaluable to us over the past 2 years - and hopefully for a few more to come  ;)

Paul,

Glad to hear things are getting sorted out before you leave and that, what aren't fixed, can be fixed when you get back to the UK. I must admit that I'm a little envious of your return trip.

I just watched the recording of Wales' defeat of England in the 6 nations rugby tournament at the Millennium stadium in Cardiff last Saturday. I suppose that the wall of sound from 50,000+ singing voices is a bit of a disadvantage to any visiting team. Unfortunately, neither team has much to brag about this year.

Appreciate the donation - more by email.

Many of us have appreciated reading about your challenges during your time in the U.S. Sorry that Chris and I weren't able to meet up with you and Ann Marie, but maybe on one of our trips to the UK.

Hope you have a great trip home and also hope you continue to visit the RV Forum when you get back. You have a lot of experience and learning to offer folks who follow in your footsteps. We also look forward to hearing about your experience when the coach arrives, how you get by the DVLA gauntlet and about your RVing experiences in the UK and Europe.

Next Problem

OK - I fitted the bedroom TV and it works fine.

I've removed the large TV in the front of the RV and have encountered a problem.

The TV I ordered is a similar size to the one Ive removed - it is slightly wider but I had measured and allowed for that and it will be OK.

My problem is that the old TV had about 12 inches of it which touched the floor and then the rest was off the floor.

The new TV doesn't have any raised bits - it sits on the floor from front to back.

See the attached diagram I threw together.

You will see I have placed a double-arrow on the drawing.

This double-arrow is a 6" high board which runs at the back of the cabinet and is joined at each end with (what appears to be) just a few tacks - it certainly doesn't seem to be fixed securely enough to hold any weight or to keep the cabinet together.

See the attached photo of the board/cabinet.

In order to fit the new TV I need to remove part of that board in the centre - marked in red

See attached photo.

Do you guys think it is safe to do this?

Ive emailed Fleetwood and am awaiting their inout too.

Thanks
Paul

Attachments

• TVs.JPG
    TVs.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 16
I would have to look at it "Eyes on" but I suspect it is, you may wish to add a 1x3 behind the cabinet for added support.

Or, as an alternative, raise the new TV an inch using 1x3 in the proper places

It's not clear from the photos Paul, but that board at the back doesn't appear to be structural (i.e. the cabinet probably won't fall apart if you remove it or cut a piece out of it). The only other reason it might be there is to stop something (the old TV?) from going in too far. It's probably best to wait for Fleetwood's response.

Hi Guys

I took another look at that wood and found that while it is 6" at the front - it only drops 3" at the back - and there is what feels like a huge chunk of timber going across the back.

As such, Ive decided NOT to make any cuts as I would have to go thru that timber too.

Thankfully - I was able to source another TV (and it cost slightly less) so will sell the 29" Sony when we get back to the UK.

Paul

Just for reference if someone with an Expedition reads this, Flletwood have just emailed me back :-

The front overhead cabinet is not secured in any way by the board you
showed me in the pictures.  This is simply for aesthetics, and you can
cut away a piece of this without compromising the integrity of the
overhead.

Im not sure how the piece of board hidden at the back of the TV is supposed to make it look good, but there you go.

I did email them back about the timber I found and will post the reply

Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom