Splitter Box Wiring - Video Removed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi Guys

I'm not sure of I can explain this properly, but I will try.

I did have a combined DVD/Video Recorder, Sat System, Roof Aerial, Front TV, Rear TV - all wired thru a Splitter Box.

Ive now removed the DVD/Video Recorder and replaced with a DVD Recorder (no video).

The RVs splitter box has switches across the front as follows :-

(FRONT TV VIEWING ) DVD : SAT : ANT : VCR : CABLE

(VCR RECORDING) DVD : SAT : ANT : CABLE

(REAR TV VIEWING) DVD : SAT : ANT : VCR : CABLE

All of the switches have cables going in (but I haven't found where they all go)

Does anyone know which cables to switch around or which to remove altogether ?

I removed the cables from the combined DVD/Video and have attached them on the new DVD Recorder in the same places - but I can't get the TV pictures to load on the new DVD.

It will play a DVD with good picture and sound.

Any ideas please ?

Thanks
Paul

You said the switches were maked

FRONT TV VIEWING ) DVD : SAT : ANT : VCR : CABLE

(VCR RECORDING) DVD : SAT : ANT : CABLE

(REAR TV VIEWING) DVD : SAT : ANT : VCR : CABLE

Ok, here goes, hte outputs are obvious, the "FRONT TV" Out goes to the front TV, The Rear TV goes to the Rear TV and the VCR goes to the VCR, normally the VCR will be in one of the front compartments near the main tv IF YOU HAVE ONE

The input cables come from the outside TV inlet (Cable) The roof top antenna (ANT) and the VCR (VCR) the dvd has direct video input.

Now, I don't know a whole lot about DVD recorder/players so I'm going to ask some questions and then give answers based on those questions.

First,, Does the DVD Recorder/player have RF-in, a tuner and RF out (like a VCR?) If so, simply replace the VCR with the digital video recorder -OR- put it in line AFTER the vcr (This way you can use the VCR to play a tape and record it to the DVR for longer term storage)

Or: Does the Recorder/player only have video in/outs.  If so then check the back of your VCR, Many VCR's in motor homes will have the video out connected... hook the DVD player recorder up to the VCR in this kind of install, Hooking it up so as to avoid a feedback loop may be interesting though  Easiest is to use the DVD out lines from the original DVD and hook them to the out lines on the RECORDER, and run a new set of patch cables from the VCR's audio/video out (Red, White and Yellow) to the DVD recorder's inputs.  In fact this is the suggested hookup if the DVD recorder does not have a tuner

This way when you select DVD as your tv signal source,  it works

When you want to record Off The Air, you simply use the tuner in the VCR.

If you tell me more about the DVD recorder I can be more specific

Hi John

We removed the combined Video/DVD and replaced it with just a DVD Recorder - so there is NO video.

In the Splitter Box, there are switches for Video and another for DVD - all of which have cables attached.

But we only have a DVD Recorder now so cant work out the extra cables - where they are going and what they are doing.

The old Video/DVD Machine had the following sockets

DVD VCR OUT - ANT IN & RF OUT - these had a coax-type cable in each

DVD IN - 3 sockets (video in plus L & R audio)
DVD/VCR OUT - 3 sockets (video out plus L & R audio) - these all had cables
COMP - 3 unused sockets

The DVD Recorder has the following sockets

TUNER - RF IN & RF OUT - I tried those two coax-type cables in here but no good.

AV IN - 3 sockets (video in plus L & R audio)
COMP OUT - 3 sockets (1 plus L & R audio)
AV OUT - 3 sockets (video out plus L & R audio) - I've got the previous 3 cables from Video/DVD in here & can watch DVDs

I hope you can follow that as Im getting lost now  :'(

Paul

Ok, now this actually makes sense to me,  (More than your first post, I'm zeroing in

Using only the cables that were attacked to the original VCR/DVD player  (NOTE you used the word VIDEO which confused me, I use VCR to indicate a Video Cassette Recorder)

RF in (ANT) on old unit to RF in on new one

RF OUT,,, Likewise to RF out

Video out (Red/yellow/white) to AV OUT on new one (I see you have done that)

Forget comp out as those are not used

It should be that simple.. To test.  Set the VCR switch on the switch box to a known valid source (IE: Antenna) and with the DVD Recorder OFF set a TV switch to VCR  you should be able to watch television  Choose a channel in the 2-3-4 range please

Now turn the RECORDER on, television should either go away or get very bad..  Chan 3 or 4 will show the welcome screen for the recorder.

Treat the recorder (Switch and rf-(Coax) cable wise) exactly like a VCR

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom