Nevada...mesquite, Overton, lake mead area, anyone been camping ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

Heading to Nevada late February. March... looking for camping advice, suggestions around Fire state park, Lake mead... anyone been there?? We like both hookups and boondocking. Have dog and we like to hike... with dog not on leash... um.. thoughts?

We were in Canyon Trails RV Park in Boulder City not overly close, but there are campgrounds in the park but we haven't stayed there yet, but would. We drove to park and to 2 places at Lake Mead to go kayaking. Beautiful place. There are a few walks closed in summer at Lake Mead due to high temperatures which sounded interesting. Liberty Bell Arch was one. You can also hike the railroad - not done these but they look good. Both parks state dogs to be on leash - remember there are bighorn sheep and other animals around which is probably why. Several great hikes in Valley of Fire.  White Dome Loop, Fire Wave. Hope you have a good time!

Kayaking.. one of my favorite activities,  where did u puts boats in... that is one reason I would like to stay there... I will have to check out Boulder City, we are looking all over the area for places to visit and get out of snow.

Not near the towns, but if you want a few days of peace and quiet, look at Willow Beach on the east side of the Colorado in Arizona. You can set up kayak or raft trips from there up to the hot springs below Boulder Dam. You can also set up downriver trips from the dam to Willow Beach though it is a full day trip and needs advance reservations due to security issues at the dam. Pretty incredible though.

All the walks look good, depends how far you want to walk, although most fairly short 5 miles ish. 

Willow beach we went right towards the dam. I'm a learner so we didnt go too far, just over an hour. Also went to temple bar we didn't go in, but were told to go right into the canyons.  If you got there look for the carp, the guy that runs the boat yard has a small office on the deck and as soon as you go near it all the fish appear as he feeds them. Be aware they have the Quagga mussels there.

Canyon Trails is a decent park, gravel pull thru mostly, full hook up and cable,  small pool and hot tub and big laundry. Good Sam discount think we paid either  $31 or $35 a night. Family run business.

There are some good off road trails near Boulder City too if you are interested

http://offroadinghome.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/new-9-boulder-city-nevada-trails.html

jackiemac said:
All the walks look good, depends how far you want to walk, although most fairly short 5 miles ish. 

Willow beach we went right towards the dam. I'm a learner so we didnt go too far, just over an hour. Also went to temple bar we didn't go in, but were told to go right into the canyons.  If you got there look for the carp, the guy that runs the boat yard has a small office on the deck and as soon as you go near it all the fish appear as he feeds them. Be aware they have the Quagga mussels there.

Canyon Trails is a decent park, gravel pull thru mostly, full hook up and cable,  small pool and hot tub and big laundry. Good Sam discount think we paid either  $31 or $35 a night. Family run business.  About half an hour to willow beach, and an hour and a half to valley of fire.

There are some good off road trails near Boulder City too if you are interested

http://offroadinghome.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/new-9-boulder-city-nevada-trails.html

Fire Valley is amazing and a beautiful campground - first come first served and they offer both electric, water sites and dry camping. There is also a dump station - I have been there several times, one of the most beautiful campgrounds I have ever been in,

Go there and plan on a couple days - plenty to see in the park and some amazing hikes...

Have fun,

Jim

tanglemoose said:
Heading to Nevada late February. March... looking for camping advice, suggestions around Fire state park, Lake mead... anyone been there?? We like both hookups and boondocking. Have dog and we like to hike... with dog not on leash... um.. thoughts?
Great boondocking near Overton, NV at these following places:
36.482803 -114.448464
36.374705 -114.394535

Check them out on Google Earth or Google Maps for Satellite views.

Also lots of dry camping and boondocking along the shore of Lake Mead from Overton to Boulder City.

AStravelers said:
Great boondocking near Overton, NV at these following places:
36.482803 -114.448464
36.374705 -114.394535

Check them out on Google Earth or Google Maps for Satellite views.

Also lots of dry camping and boondocking along the shore of Lake Mead from Overton to Boulder City.

Thank you for this idea... we have a golden that we love to get out n away from campgrounds to let her enjoy her time too.... off leash... and we enjoy camping not in Parks, even tho. We do like electric... but not necessary with our solar.

We just spent 10 days at Lake Mead, Las Vegas Bay campground. No hookups, easy drive into Henderson, very quiet, some shaded sites, some good solar spots, $10 with Senior Pass. Governor Wash in Lake Mead has good boondocking. Valley of Fire has a nice campground with hookups. There are some good hikes and bike rides near Las Vegas Bay and Boulder Beach. Be careful with the dog off-leash - lots of nasty desert critters.

It's not clear where you're from, but I wonder if you've had your dog in desert areas.  If not, I started a discussion a couple of years ago called RVing With Pets in a Desert Environment.  You might want to read it before letting your dog go off leash.  There are numerous hazards to letting pets roam free in a desert and they may disturb the critters who live there.  See http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,50380.msg466952.html#msg466952

ArdraF

Hello, we are from Montana area, we do have desert like areas that we hike in, of course we only have basically  one type of cactus. We do have rattle snakes too but probably a lot less.... we hike with grizzlies and coyotes a lot...

. So we have been challenged trying to get dog some exercise and time to run free. Enjoyed your link as we are in learning stages of our trip... and are learning a lot. And know hikes with our dog will be limited. We live by Yellowstone and dogs are allowed on asphalt only. Not sure if boondocking by Lake Mead if dog can swim or run by water... thanks everyone for all your tips, keep them coming as we plan our trip from Nevada to zion!

Back
Top Bottom