Interior measurements of motorhomes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdwardsCrew

We are eventually looking into purchasing an order motorhome and plan on doing some interior remodeling, Which will involve installing bunks.  We are trying to find some basic measurements of RVs so we know what to look for in the spring.  We are trying to figure out if we could make things work for a 35 foot or if will need to move up to a 38 or 40 Foot.  We're trying to keep it as small as possible but yet give the kids some space of their own.  Do you know where I can find the average measurements of each size of RVs? 

I don't know that there are such things, since it would be floor plan dependent, and any given length of rig will have many different floor plans, so I doubt a specific design could be added to an "average" coach. The length of a rig is usually (but far from always) the number (or part of the number) in the model number/name, plus a few inches. So the Bounder 33U I used to have was 33 feet and some inches (essentially 34 feet), the Beaver I had (Saratoga 44) was 44 feet and a few inches (essentially 45 feet), and so on. Exterior width  of most recent rigs (year 2000 or later, plus many before that) is around 8-8.5 feet.

But bathroom mid-coach or rear, 1.5 vs 1 bath, closet along rear or side wall, separate room for shower and stool, and much more will affect your measurements, in addition to what the various layouts are for the slide-outs and where they're placed.

My suggestion is to look up what you can find on the web in the way of brochures for any rig that might interest you (sometimes floor plans are also on a dealer's web site) and start with that.

I'm sure others will chime in here with more thoughts.

Larry made some good comments and here's an example of what he was talking about.  When we were shopping for our current motorhome we were considering a 38-foot and a 40-foot from the same manufacturer and with similar floor plans.  One of the problems with the 38-footer was the small bathroom which was shorter fore-and-aft.  I could plainly see that it was inadequate because every time I would comb or brush my hair while looking in the mirror I would be hitting my recently-broken-and-still-healing elbow on the shower's glass wall.  We ended up with the 40-footer because of that and a few other design issues that made the 38-footer less desirable just because it was two feet shorter.

And, by the way, there is no such thing as an average measurement in anything having to do with RVs.  The manufacturers choose a length and then try to cram as many consumer-desirable features into that space as they can with some measurements being more or less than similar models.  A good example is RV beds.  Many designs say they're Queen size but they're not always residential bed Queen size.  When you buy sheets for them you have to measure length, width, and depth in order to get one that fits.  You also have to take into account where the bed is placed.  If it's on a flat surface, that's great because the measurements are easy.  But our bed lifts to access the slide mechanism and storage area underneath.  To accommodate that need, the manufacturer made the flat surface shorter so the surface can be hinged which allows the bed to be lifted without hitting the ceiling.  That means the bottom end of the bed is hanging in air for about 8-10 inches (no the inner spring keeps it firm so it doesn't collapse).  As a result I have to buy sheets with four deeper corner pockets than normal or the bottom sheet won't stay on the bed.  The top sheet and blankets also have to be longer or they don't tuck in place.  So a simple bed measurement turns into something much different than expected.  You'll also find that replacing an item in a motorhome sometimes means rearranging or discarding other things.  For example, when we travel in Canada their food can sizes vary from ours and shopping sometimes means rearranging my carefully-fitted U.S. cans so their larger ones fit in the same space.  A small disadvantage but we learn to work around them.

ArdraF

I bet if you had a good look, you would find an older motorhome in the size you are looking for that already has bunk beds installed, and at a good price. When the kids grow up, no one wants to sleep in the bunks anymore. Was just looking at travel trailers for sale, and there are a ton of them with bunks.

Bill

Thanks everyone! I'm hoping we'll luck out and find an RV with bunks when we officially start hunting for one. We live up here in the Northeast and there's nothing much listed anymore. I'm guess everyone has winterized theirs and are waiting to sell in the Spring. The hubby built yachts (wood and fiberglass), was a wood worker and made RVs for 2 1/2 years, so he says it won't be a problem to figure it all out. I guess no matter what, we need to find something in the 38-40 range and go from there. If we can't find one with a bunk, then we'll need to just make one with a bunk. Sometimes I think a bus reno would fit our needs a bit better, BUT I keep hearing about them being a money pit. At least an RV already has lots of items already installed.

Yes, billwild...I totally think a travel trailer would fit our needs MUCH BETTER, but my dear hubby wants to tow his classic ('68 Contv Mustang-not perfect, just loved) behind the Motorhome. Maybe he might tire of driving his stang around for sight-seeing and wanna sell it for a pickup and 5th wheel trailer one day! But I can't dare suggest that! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom