Door squeak.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedandSilver

I'm talking about the entrance door up front, the only way that you get into this MH.

Driving down the road there is a fairly loud squeak coming from the door.
A passenger sitting there pulled the door towards the inside and the squeak almost disappeared.
Releasing it - it returned same as before

Running down the road it is very noticeable even on a smooth road, THEN all of a sudden it would seam to
disappear when nothing had changed.  It might stay that way for 30 minutes and then the squeak would return.

We got to a rest area I sprayed the door seals with silicone and it made no difference.

The seals look good and don't appear to be worn out.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Was it fixable?

Since I will be alone more then with someone I may have to get a rope and tie it the the handle and something else.
Something I would rather not do - but I would have to turn the stereo up way too loud to try and mask the squeak.

So I need Help - Please....

WD40 sucks,,,did you determine if the squeak (squeel?) is an air leak around the door seals,, that would explain the reduction when pulling the door closed.>>>Dan  (try taping the door on the inside around the door seals then drive,, if the squeak goes away then the door needs to be adjusted closer to the jamb to compress the seal.. This is a common problem with front door motorhomes do to the air coming around the front corners at speed, it tends to pull the door open aerodynamically)

I applied a 1.5 inch wide sticky backed weather stripping the came in a roll all around the door. Helped to stop air leaks and door noise. You said you srpayed the seals with silicone, but also do the hinges real well that run up the door, this may help.

Bill

Instead of any kind of a wet substance that would attract dirt and grime, use a small brush and lightly coat the rubber with baby powder.  I use it on the slide out seals occasionally when they squeak.  Stops it immediately.  If it continues to squeak, then I would attempt the adjustment on the door striker.

I did adjust the striker on the door while at the rest stop.
Loosened it up and it was already at the most outward position possible.

I have also oiled the hinges on the door.

I could be wrong but it sounds more like a squeak then an air noise.

Why it stops for awhile and the starts up again is the real question - IF I knew that it might
make it easier to hunt down the problem.

Tape around the door I may do.
Baby Powder I may do, just not sure how that would hold up in the rain.

So just curious - no one else has had their door squeak on and off while traveling?

The on and off squeak is pretty normal. The rubber seals wear with age, and depending on the type of road surface you are on, the RV will flex in different directions.  I get a dash board squeak on some roads, but goes away on others. Unless it gets really annoying and you have tried the suggestions offered so far, Tom may be right. Turn up the radio....

Not sure the way your door is laid out, but if the passenger pulled it tight and it helped, then it needs to be adjusted so it closes tighter. But you said you loosened striker and it was out as far as possible. I would think it needs to be moved in, in order to tighten door. Did you try this or am I misunderstanding your door layout?

2kGeorgieBoy said:
Not sure the way your door is laid out, but if the passenger pulled it tight and it helped, then it needs to be adjusted so it closes tighter. But you said you loosened striker and it was out as far as possible. I would think it needs to be moved in, in order to tighten door. Did you try this or am I misunderstanding your door layout?

I tried to move the latching on the door outward so that the door would have to come more inward and
therefore be a tighter fit on the seals.  But I couldn't move it out any more then it was.
So my calling it a striker might have been misleading.  The PIN that goes into the latch is not moveable that I can tell.

On another RV site I saw someone posted about putting electrical tape on the pin or some plastic tubing on the pin.
They are claiming the sound is coming from there and not the seals.  So something else to give a try if the advice you guys
have given doesn't fix the problem.

I like loud music as much as most of you especially when it's music I have chosen, however I value my hearing and my
days of going to Rock Concerts are behind me.  ;D 8) :)
Besides turning up the stereo isn't fixing the problem but just covering it up.   

If you have a "pin",, usually a bolt on the jamb,, that's known as the "bear claw" latching system.. Most of this type you can loosen the "bolt" and move it inward and re tighten it.>>>Dan

utahclaimjumper said:
  If you have a "pin",, usually a bolt on the jamb,, that's known as the "bear claw" latching system.. Most of this type you can loosen the "bolt" and move it inward and re tighten it.>>>Dan

Thanks.

I will check that out.

Make a magic marker line at the present location,,then you will know how much you have moved it and how much you have left to move..>>>Dan  ( You can also move it up or down to make it latch better if needed)

My entry door was leaking air and making a squeaking noise but it only did it with a side wind. I was able to adjust the latch and it solved the problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom