Still looking for a travel guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I was in the Guitar Center today, browsing around for a 'travel guitar'. I thought I might buy a 3/4 Yamaha, but the Baby Taylor plays/sounds so much better, albeit at a much higher price. The Taylor also has a narrower neck than the Yamaha, one of the things I'm struggling with. They couldn't tell me what the 'Black Friday' sale price will be, so I'll go back on Friday.

Meanwhile, I talked with a young guy and his Mom shopping for a ukulele. The young guy plays guitar, so we talked about various options for him. His Mom asked if I'd play something for them. I had a mental block, didn't have a lead sheet, and my nails need trimming. But I stumbled through something that they seemed to recognize. I talked with the young guy later, and he told me he was having a tough time adjusting to the narrow neck of a 4-string ukulele  ;D

Coulda shoulda bought it today; They price match for the next 45 days.

I called GC yesterday and found the Baby Taylor was not included in their sale, but the guy volunteered to sell it with the same discount as their Black Friday deals, and to hold the price for today. So, today I ventured out on empty freeways and in an empty store.

While playing the Baby Taylor I spotted Martin's equivalent (just $20 more). After noodling for a while, I had a store employee play both, and he also volunteered to play the Taylor GS Mini (a 7/8 guitar). The GS Mini is definitely a step up, and I was tempted, but decided to buy the Baby Taylor. The only goofy thing is the neck of the Baby Taylor is attached by two very visible screws!

Because of the Christmas season, GC has extended their 45 days return policy to January 31st, and products can be returned to any of their stores nation wide. So, maybe there's a GS Mini upgrade in my future, when we get back to the Golden State.

Congrats on the Taylor. The visible screws are no big deal. It is called a bolt on neck, very common. And it makes it easy to change necks when you break one.

Thanks Tom. Didn't realise the 'bolt on neck' was so common. This was the first time I'd seen it. Hope I don't break the neck  :eek:

Got out the tuner app on my cell phone when I got home, and it tuned right up. It will be interesting to see if/how much it drifts while playing the next few days. I'm used to Nylgut strings on a uke stretching a lot, and requiring a week of playing to fully stretch.

Just about all the Fenders are bolt ons. There are some idiot guitar players who make claims like bolt ons are warmer and crap like that. Both bolt on, set necks, and pass through have been used for many years and they all work and sound fine. The odds of breaking a neck are small but you are much better off with a bolt on since all you have to do is buy the neck and bolt it on.

Attachments

• 220px-Bolt_on_neck.jpg
    220px-Bolt_on_neck.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 8
You baby came with a soft case I assume.

Did you forget that I have a baby Taylor with a hard case for sale, most likely for less than Guitar Center got out of you.  Out of curiosity, how much was it?

Didn't know your BT was for sale. We're currently in the MidWest, so a long way  to pick up yours. It came with a 'nice' soft case. Price: $329, on sale for $279, plus return privileges through 1/31/17.

I've got a Baby Martin w/ electronics...

The Baby Taylor isn't offered with electronics, and this might be a factor in my final keep/switch decision.

Tom said:
The Baby Taylor isn't offered with electronics, and this might be a factor in my final keep/switch decision.
Here is a small Taylor with electronics.

http://www.swee****er.com/store/detail/BabyBT2e?adpos=1t1&creative=163366948996&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiA94nCBRDxismumrL83icSJAAeeETQyAdf_CI_NA58amdr2Zy6G_W1IgCAtbN0hdT-8dPHmBoC43Pw_wcB

Thanks Tom. Didn't realize that was an option when I was shopping.

Easy enough to add them too.  Not meaning to slight Taylors ES setup but some of the other transducers sound way better.

The only time I added an after-market option, it was a mic transducer wired to a 1/4" audio socket. It was a disaster, because it picked up my continual whacking of the top of the uke at the end of a strum.

Back
Top Bottom