Where is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sailorkane

Anyone know where the HWH level sensor is for a 2003 Journey?  And more specifically exactly what it looks like? Mine is totally misreading and I suspect either sensor failure or more likely, it has come loose.  Can't seem to find it. 

The entire control circuit with the level sensors should be located under the motorhome behind the steps. There is a clear plastic cover protecting the board.

What he said..
there are leveling LEDs that can be seen as well as an X-Y adjustment on the side of the box

Awesome, John, thanks.  I have the manual leveler.  No auto feature.  Its so far out of whack that the starboard LED stays lit no matter what.  So I'm thinking the sensor has shifted perhaps.  Or else the sensor has died. 

Good answers here. However, if you need to call HWH their service department is great. I have call them a couple of times and were very impressed with their personnel.

Frank

Crawled all under my coach today.  Looking for the HWH control box.  There is no control box with a clear lid anywhere near the steps or anywhere else that I can see.  Any hints for alternate location?  I do see where there are lots of other HWH things in the Driver side middle.  There are the 4 solenoid-valves for the jacks, perhaps a hydraulic pump and a largish plastic box, but no clear lid and I don't see a level adjustment there.  Any further hints?  2003 Journey 39DL. 

Ours is a 2011 Tour, so I don't know if yours will be the same, but the box to adjust our HWH auto-level system is mounted to the right side of the right frame-rail (when you're facing forward) alongside the generator. (Our genny is in the front of the MH) Also, ours doesn't have a plastic cover - it's just a black box, about 3" X 2" X 6" with several wires running to it. The sensor for our previous coach (a Tiffin Allegro) was mounted inside one of our basement storage compartments, on the top.

Kev

there seems to be no special place to put it. On our 95 Luxor it is in the first compartment on the drivers side, screwed to the back wall of the compartment

After crawling around under the coach, I went directly UP from the spot that the drawing shows the sensor is located.  What I found, attached to ceiling of the basement compartment is a small black box, photo attached.  I assume this is the leveling sensor box.  There is a large (1") hole through which the circuit board can be seen.  I assume to see the level leds.  And there are 4 smaller holes with the screws for the springs on them.  If the coach is actually level, but the right side shows low (led lit), do I screw the right side screw in or out?  I think in?

Attachments

• HWH level sensor.jpg
    HWH level sensor.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 42
If the coach is level and the right side shows low, that side of the sensor is hanging down too low.

Turn the right hand screw in to raise that side of the circuit board (compress the spring and move that side of the sensor closer to the roof of the compartment).  Or lower the opposite side (move it further from the roof) until the sensor says it's level when the motorhome is level.

Well, an update.  Could not level the sensors (i.e. get all 4 leds to turn off_).  So I removed the sensor and turned it up to 45 degrees and the left led still would not turn off.  The front and back ones seem to work, but side to side has failed.  Since its potted, looks like I'm into a new sensor.  The new ones apparently are electronic and have no mercury. 

Yeah.  When I built my segway prototype, I used chinese chips that measured tilt.  They are a couple bucks now.  But the sensor is still $271 from HWH.  For the nonce, I'll just use manual TT bubble levels mounted at my driver seat where I can see them.  I have too many other places to spend $300. 

I'm with you on the bubble. I played with mine while DW watched the lights till I got them all turned off, then after the next road trip it was messed up again. I may play with them again someday meanwhile its back to the bubble. I don't think the springs hold the adjustment after bouncing down the road, maybe poor design. 

John Canfield said:
I have auto leveling but I always have to touch it up when it finishes.
i usually tweak mine via the bathroom door swing test

^^ Exactly what we use for a level telltale ^^

As far as the level indicator on the control panel, the level sensor in the 2005 control box would periodically go out of adjustment and need a touch up (there's a link in our Winnebago and Chassis Resources thread at the top of this section). The newer control box has an improved sensor that holds its position; ours was replaced two or three years ago at Winnie factory service (about $800 for the box!)

Back
Top Bottom