Observations on Internet speeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John From Detroit

I know many here go back to the good old days of 300 baud modems (300 BITS per second)

So.. Ever wonder what happens when you connect to a really good Wi-Fi router?

Well, Today I went to Denny's for Breakfast and noticed while I was waiting for my All American Slam to arrive that web pages were loading.... Well, a bit promptly.  So I checked how I was conencted

Denny's 5Ghz

Ok, first time I've hooked to a 5 Ghz router

So I ran a SPEED TEST (OOKLA)

Here are some numbers.
Park Wi-Fi where the RV is stuck. 300-400 KBps

T-Mobile 4Glte  564 KBps

Denny's 5Ghz

HOLY BURNING RUBBER BATMAN.  4,441.1 KBps.

The OOkla speed-o-meter only goes up to 5000, the initial burst pinned it.

Upload speed by the way was 1587.5 and a ping of 11ms v/s 30-45 for the other paths.... I can do my Interneting in half the time at Denny's :)

For reference Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S-5,, I did not know it could eat 5 MEG bytes per second.

The biggest problem with the increasing speed of the Internet is the fact so many web sites have loaded their pages up with unnecessary bs so it still takes forever to load some web sites.

Ok so stupid question... what does one do with 5ghz of bandwidth? Watch 10 HD movies simultaneously? Upload my entire hard drive? Download the Library of Congress?

Sun2Retire said:
Ok so stupid question... what does one do with 5ghz of bandwidth? Watch 10 HD movies simultaneously? Upload my entire hard drive? Download the Library of Congress?

That's not 5 GHz of bandwidth, but rather that 5 GHz is the carrier frequency range (or freq band, a different thing from bandwidth), just like 99.5 MHz is one of the FM frequencies, but has less than 15 KHz bandwidth (enough for decent audio). The bandwidth in the 5 GHz range will, as in other bands, depend on the assigned channel width (TV channels are 6MHz wide in the U.S.). 2.5 GHz Wifi channels typically have 20 MHz bandwidth, and the 5 GHz ones run from 20 MHz to 40 MHz bandwidth, depending on the mode in use.

As to simultaneous movies, that addresses data rate (since it's digital), which is influenced (but not completely controlled) by bandwidth, modulation technique, and more.

Sorry yes, I do know the difference but wrote it wrong anyway. John, I took you mean 5 GB/sec, but now that I think about it the speed test I have maxes out at 50 mb/s

Speedtest.net doesn't 'max out'.  It changes scale on the fly based upon the speed it's calculating.  I know for a fact it can do up to 200 Mbps.  (I get 150-190Mbps in our sticks & bricks). It's probably a safe assumption that it has ranges that extend past 200.

5Mbps is not very fast but certainly better than 99.9% of the free wifi I've seen.

I suspected it does Muddy but thanks for the confirmation

I did another 4Glte test this morning and got much improved 4Glte performance 2580.1 kBps

Still only a bit over half what I got on 5Ghz.  Very impressive speeds there.

I'm going to have to invest in improved hardware one of these days.

Also. I'm going to guess one of the RV parks I stay at has 5Ghz routers,,,, but most don't know it,, May be a way to get a rock solid connection even when it's busy.

Back
Top Bottom