spending the summer in Alaska..what type of fly gear and where is the fishing ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wally12

My wife and I will be taking off from central Calif. early may headed for Alaska. We plan on spending 4 to 5 months traveling through Canada and Alaska. Looking for recommendations on fishing locations, timing and the type of fly fishing gear that will be required.
Thanks
Fred

Fred,

Last summer when hubby and I traveled through Alaska and Canada he took a charter for salmon out of Seward in late July.  He took a charter for halibut out of Homer in early August.  We saw lots of fly fishermen along the  banks on the Kenai Pennisula but we did not stop for any specific fish in those regions.  I'm sure someone out there has been to those kind of places to give you some  specific suggestions.
Betty

I have been in Alaska for 35+ years. Good fishing is found everywhere. I even found what looks like a drainage culvert that crosses the Parks Highway (approx MP 105) was good grayling fishing. You just have to try. Always take the American Express fly (egg-sucking leeches) and have a good collection of small mosquito and ant dry flies. Whether fishing the mighty Kenai River or small lakes and streams. Fishing in Alaska never ceases to amaze me.

Based on a very limited experience of 2 weeks traveling around in a rented RV.....It seemed that any river with easy road access was very crowded.  I call it combat fishing.  To ge the "Alaska experience" you see on TV you'll have to travel "off road" or get in a plane and get dropped off..... I was disappointed.... but makes sense... there aren't many people in Alaska but there aren't many roads providing easy access to fishing either....  Renting a plane for a 20 min ride and then get picked up is not very expensive..... Over half of Alaskans that have driver's licenses have pilot's licenses...  If access was easy it was crowded....

My brother and I along with some friends rented an RV in Anchorage and fly fished the Kenai.  I recommend Deep Creek, the Ninnilchik River and the Anchor River for salmon.  Check on the timing of the runs up river.  We all caught our limit of silvers on the Ninnilchik. I would avoid the "honey hole" in Homer AK but by all means visit that town.  There is a processing plant right in the town of Ninnilchik that processed them and flash froze them.  Within 8 hours of being caught, they were on a plane home to a waiting freezer.  Do yourself one favor and start fishing with a one day guided trip in the area so you learn the flies and tactics.  it will be well worth it.  Our guide retired so i can't recommend one but get information from a reliable guide in the lower 40 and go with whoever they recommend.  Craig Mathews of Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone can certainly help.

Steg

We just got back from Eagle River after a year and half.  I found this site  http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/  great for all kinds of fishing/outdoor info.
They are more than willing to help get you pointed in the right direction.
The fish have different run times ie King, silvers, reds, dogs, and pinks.  Depending on what you're after, it will dictate where you need to be, when, and what you use.
Ak'ers don't eat dogs or pinks for the most part but are a blast to catch.
Pulling up a 45lb 'but out of Homer, chasing silvers in Seward, and kings and reds on the Kenai make for an unforgettable experience.
My 8y/o son is hooked after pulling out 6-7lb reds out of the Kenai and 20in dollies on Deep Creek on his 8 wt  He now says regular fishing is boring.  I'm sure he'll hate me later..lol

Other great sites are:  http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Reports/Fishreport/fishreport.html  and  http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/147.html  and
http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Statewide/LakeData/

Out of Seward for silvers we used Capt Sean from the Fishouse.  He's only 20 but had us on silvers all day.  When fishing slowed after 15 minutes he'd move us.  Great kid!!

Use the forums for other recommendations because there are the bad charters out there if you go that route.

Sorry if the links aren't automatic.  I'm still techie slow.

Have Fun!!  I'm already planning our next trip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom