To lift the 5 er or not ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wally12

My wife and I just completed a 15,000 mile trip from Calif. to the the East Coast and back. Our 31 foot  5 er  has very little clearance between the tires and tire wells. During our trip we had a tire come apart and tore up a bit of the Al. sheet metal.  We are planning to leave for Alaska in early May and I am wondering if I should increase the the clearance between the trailer and the tires by relocating the axles to the bottom of the leaf spring of leave them as the are ???  The trailer presently rides level but only has about 5 " clearance between the top of the  truck bed and bottom of the trailer.

comments/suggestions

thanks
Fred

5 " clearance between the top of the  truck bed and bottom of the trailer.

We pulled a 35 footer through Alaska last summer.  I would highly recommend a clearance of 8 to 10 inches.  The roads for the most part were in good shape.  Sections of roads under construction, and roads leading to some campgrounds sometimes were very uneven and rough. 

We had 9 inches of clearance, on our 17,000 mile trip.  We bought a couple of tires, a fuel filter, and a gallon of tar remover.  I can't wait to go back.

What a Ride

Back
Top Bottom