Total Eclipse...anyone taking it in August 21, 2017?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InVogue

Hi all....
Just curious if anyone here is planning on going to a requisite area for the best viewing of the Eclipse?  We are planning to be in Island Park, Idaho(Red Rock CG) and taking the car down to Rexburg, ID for the event. Figured we'd hit Yellowstone and Grand Teton's afterwards....maybe even make it up to Glacier.

We are planning on trying to see it. Thinking of trying some place in Wyoming, depending on weather. We aren't planning on staying in a campground, just being flexible around any weather issues. August is when the monsoons come in out west, so we might need to do some driving to,find clear sky.

YES, I forgot to say I'm praying for clear skies also but all won't be lost, after all, I'll be in and around God's Country while near by Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. We'll be coming from So Calif, so either way, I'll make a memorable trip out of it. 

Probably going to just drive up for it and park in a rest area or city park with my welders goggles and other sun watching paraphernalia.

I-75 between Athens and Swee****er TN will put me in the middle of the track. 2.5 hours from the house.

Looked at campgrounds in the dark zone as soon as I heard about it months ago. Everything has been reserved. I couldn't find an open campsite on 5 different reservation websites.

Eclipse path here, with state by state details:

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm

We will head north and east from Colorado, and try to find a nice spot somewhere along the path, depending on the weather.
Back in 79 I hitchhiked from Florida up to Western Washington to view the Eclipse. When it came, we were socked in with cloud cover.
Plan to be a bit more mobile this time. Somewhere between Casper and Grand Island.

Yes, I am in Louisiana and am tentatively considering Nebraska or Wyoming, it will all come down to what the weather forecast looks like 7-9 days out.

Isaac-1 said:
Yes, I am in Louisiana and am tentatively considering Nebraska or Wyoming, it will all come down to what the weather forecast looks like 7-9 days out.

If you head up in the general direction, you can get to an area where you should be able to get a closer view of the weather (1-3 days) and have a chance to move to a better spot.
Weather systems tend to sweep from West to East that time of year, so you can watch a front, and move to be ahead of it, or get behind it for the viewing.

If the weather cooperates, St Joseph Missouri area might be a terrific location, though it may have a higher possibility of weather affecting the viewing.

We have changed our (preliminary) plans. We reserved a FS campsite in Idaho just under the full eclipse line! Now if only the monsoons stay away. If not, we will watch the weather and head somewhere else. "Have wheels, will travel" is our motto.

See ya in Idaho then! I tried to gather some info from Rexburg Chamber of Commerce but have heard nothing so far. The local University will have viewing area's on campus......plan on getting a VERY early start!!!

One thing about the "Monsoons" in the western US.  They are thunderstorms and more frequently occur in the afternoons with the heat of the sun.  The eclipse is predicted to be around 10am to noon so hopefully the weather will cooperate.

I will be a bit northwest of Rexburg, north of the community of Crouch. I am actually a bit worried about the sun position and the number of trees though. I will have to check sight lines when we get there and see. I don't mind losing the camping fee if I have to - only $7.50 a day with my senior pass. Our original plan had been to go to Casper, WY. Lots of room to go west or east from there. We still might do that, but we would camp away from the eclipse line and just drive to the right spot. Campgrounds in Casper were full a couple of months ago, and they were being successful charging 2 or 3X their regular prices.

A few months ago when making reservations in Idaho(Red Rock Canyon) the owner of the campground discussed forming a group to head down to Rexburg the morning of the event. So, a few days ago I called just to verify my reservations and while talking to them, it turns out that Island Park will have(per there Chamber of Commerce) a 99% totality of the Eclipse. We may just stay right at the Campground.it certainly would make it a lot easier for the group I'm with.

If you're looking for a spot to camp in Oregon and watch the solar eclipse the Wine Down Ranch still has RV packages available for the Moonshadow Festival. 4 days of live music, hiking, yoga, vendors, and a great spot to see the eclipse. www.moonshadowfestival.com

Greetings,

For those who plan on going to see the eclipse keep these things in mind. First there will be people coming from all over the world to watch this on our turf. You should be at your site you wish to see the eclipse a good 4 or 5 days early. The roads will get snarled with traffic and many people will not reach their destinations if you don't plan far enough ahead.

Goes without saying, proper solar filters to protect your eyes are in order. When the eclipse gets down to the last few percentage of covering the Sun, it becomes easier to look more directly at the Sun and that is when eye damage often occurs.

A total solar eclipse of the Sun is an amazing thing. Look down where bushes and trees are at and you will see tiny multiple images of the eclipse on the ground. Even put a white cardboard or fine white cloth to see this better.

Don't try to leave your area right away as roads will be heavily traveled for the next few days. Sit back have a beer or pop and enjoy your surroundings, then leave when things get back to a more normal setting.

I have been to a few of these eclipses and it is amazing how an area that is desolate can be filled with hundreds of people in a very short time.

CamperAL (former observatory director, astronomy affectionado)

Hi,

one other thing to add, I just heard a report on the areas that will be filled with people on the eclipse line. They said that food and supplies usually run low or out during an event like this as you have such a concentration of people in a small area. From my memory I can tell you this is so.

So be sure to be stocked up when you go to those areas. RV'ers have the advantage of having a mobile home that can have supplies that will last for the duration of the eclipse time line. Happy Star Gazing and RV'n.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom