EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Total Eclipse...anyone taking it in August 21, 2017?  (Read 3657 times)

InVogue

• ---
Total Eclipse...anyone taking it in August 21, 2017?
« on: November 26, 2016, 10:04:35 PM »
Hi all....
Just curious if anyone here is planning on going to a requisite area for the best viewing of the Eclipse?  We are planning to be in Island Park, Idaho(Red Rock CG) and taking the car down to Rexburg, ID for the event. Figured we'd hit Yellowstone and Grand Teton's afterwards....maybe even make it up to Glacier.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Our Girl- Mollie, Cavalier, Humphrie our Mini Schnauzer and Georgie our Wire Haired Weiner dog.  RIP our little Rubie and Sweet Maggie and Cassie

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: Total Eclipse...anyone taking it in August 21, 2017?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 10:07:59 PM »
I am planning on driving up to South Carolina on the day of the eclipse. All the hotels in the area have been booked a long time ago.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 10:13:49 PM »
We are planning on trying to see it. Thinking of trying some place in Wyoming, depending on weather. We aren't planning on staying in a campground, just being flexible around any weather issues. August is when the monsoons come in out west, so we might need to do some driving to,find clear sky.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 10:17:14 PM by UTTransplant »
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

InVogue

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 10:22:32 PM »
YES, I forgot to say I'm praying for clear skies also but all won't be lost, after all, I'll be in and around God's Country while near by Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. We'll be coming from So Calif, so either way, I'll make a memorable trip out of it. 
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Our Girl- Mollie, Cavalier, Humphrie our Mini Schnauzer and Georgie our Wire Haired Weiner dog.  RIP our little Rubie and Sweet Maggie and Cassie

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 03:23:36 PM »
Probably going to just drive up for it and park in a rest area or city park with my welders goggles and other sun watching paraphernalia.

I-75 between Athens and Sweetwater TN will put me in the middle of the track. 2.5 hours from the house.

Looked at campgrounds in the dark zone as soon as I heard about it months ago. Everything has been reserved. I couldn't find an open campsite on 5 different reservation websites.
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2007 Yamaha TW200
Home town: Mableton, GA

austex

• ---
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 04:08:34 PM »
Eclipse path here, with state by state details:

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo With Ami the Chi-cha
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 08:56:36 PM »
We will head north and east from Colorado, and try to find a nice spot somewhere along the path, depending on the weather.
Back in 79 I hitchhiked from Florida up to Western Washington to view the Eclipse. When it came, we were socked in with cloud cover.
Plan to be a bit more mobile this time. Somewhere between Casper and Grand Island.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 07:16:20 PM »
Yes, I am in Louisiana and am tentatively considering Nebraska or Wyoming, it will all come down to what the weather forecast looks like 7-9 days out.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo With Ami the Chi-cha
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 01:03:56 AM »
Yes, I am in Louisiana and am tentatively considering Nebraska or Wyoming, it will all come down to what the weather forecast looks like 7-9 days out.

If you head up in the general direction, you can get to an area where you should be able to get a closer view of the weather (1-3 days) and have a chance to move to a better spot.
Weather systems tend to sweep from West to East that time of year, so you can watch a front, and move to be ahead of it, or get behind it for the viewing.

If the weather cooperates, St Joseph Missouri area might be a terrific location, though it may have a higher possibility of weather affecting the viewing.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

BoomerD

• ---
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 11:44:52 PM »
We're thinking about it. It will pass about 200 miles south of us near Salem, Or...so...maybe?
Current coach: 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 09:27:41 AM »
We have changed our (preliminary) plans. We reserved a FS campsite in Idaho just under the full eclipse line! Now if only the monsoons stay away. If not, we will watch the weather and head somewhere else. "Have wheels, will travel" is our motto.
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel

InVogue

• ---
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 08:33:22 PM »
See ya in Idaho then! I tried to gather some info from Rexburg Chamber of Commerce but have heard nothing so far. The local University will have viewing area's on campus......plan on getting a VERY early start!!!
96 Vogue Prima Vista

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 06:18:45 AM »
One thing about the "Monsoons" in the western US.  They are thunderstorms and more frequently occur in the afternoons with the heat of the sun.  The eclipse is predicted to be around 10am to noon so hopefully the weather will cooperate.
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 08:28:40 AM »
I will be a bit northwest of Rexburg, north of the community of Crouch. I am actually a bit worried about the sun position and the number of trees though. I will have to check sight lines when we get there and see. I don't mind losing the camping fee if I have to - only $7.50 a day with my senior pass. Our original plan had been to go to Casper, WY. Lots of room to go west or east from there. We still might do that, but we would camp away from the eclipse line and just drive to the right spot. Campgrounds in Casper were full a couple of months ago, and they were being successful charging 2 or 3X their regular prices.
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel

InVogue

• ---
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 09:11:31 PM »
A few months ago when making reservations in Idaho(Red Rock Canyon) the owner of the campground discussed forming a group to head down to Rexburg the morning of the event. So, a few days ago I called just to verify my reservations and while talking to them, it turns out that Island Park will have(per there Chamber of Commerce) a 99% totality of the Eclipse. We may just stay right at the Campground.it certainly would make it a lot easier for the group I'm with.
96 Vogue Prima Vista

Gteague

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 06:19:46 PM »
If you're looking for a spot to camp in Oregon and watch the solar eclipse the Wine Down Ranch still has RV packages available for the Moonshadow Festival. 4 days of live music, hiking, yoga, vendors, and a great spot to see the eclipse. www.moonshadowfestival.com

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 07:10:50 AM »
We are going to try to be somewhere close to Torrington, WY or Scotts Bluff, NE for the eclipse. The total eclipse passes right over this area.
Chet18013
Full time in a 45' '04 Monaco Signature
towing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel

Peggyy

• ---
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 07:14:37 AM »
I posted about this yesterday but got little response.   We are going to crossville tn to see it,
GMC Sierra 2012
2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264BHW Travel Trailer
sweet home Alabama

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 10:32:11 PM »
Greetings,

For those who plan on going to see the eclipse keep these things in mind. First there will be people coming from all over the world to watch this on our turf. You should be at your site you wish to see the eclipse a good 4 or 5 days early. The roads will get snarled with traffic and many people will not reach their destinations if you don't plan far enough ahead.

Goes without saying, proper solar filters to protect your eyes are in order. When the eclipse gets down to the last few percentage of covering the Sun, it becomes easier to look more directly at the Sun and that is when eye damage often occurs.

A total solar eclipse of the Sun is an amazing thing. Look down where bushes and trees are at and you will see tiny multiple images of the eclipse on the ground. Even put a white cardboard or fine white cloth to see this better.

Don't try to leave your area right away as roads will be heavily traveled for the next few days. Sit back have a beer or pop and enjoy your surroundings, then leave when things get back to a more normal setting.

I have been to a few of these eclipses and it is amazing how an area that is desolate can be filled with hundreds of people in a very short time.

CamperAL (former observatory director, astronomy affectionado)
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 08:26:11 AM »
Hi,

one other thing to add, I just heard a report on the areas that will be filled with people on the eclipse line. They said that food and supplies usually run low or out during an event like this as you have such a concentration of people in a small area. From my memory I can tell you this is so.

So be sure to be stocked up when you go to those areas. RV'ers have the advantage of having a mobile home that can have supplies that will last for the duration of the eclipse time line. Happy Star Gazing and RV'n.
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 08:44:15 AM »
I posted about this yesterday but got little response.   We are going to crossville tn to see it,
That is probably because this thread has been going since last year. We don't really need multiple thread on the exact same subject.

I just signed up to view the eclipse at the South Carolina State Fairgrounds. Cost is $5 to park or $125 to camp in an RV. On the line of totality. I also found a motel room in Atlanta at a Motel 6 for $45. I will then drive up to the fairgrounds in the morning.

https://www.etix.com/ticket/v/4187/2017-south-carolina-state-fair-
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Peggyy

• ---
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 08:59:51 AM »
That is probably because this thread has been going since last year. We don't really need multiple thread on the exact same subject.

https://www.etix.com/ticket/v/4187/2017-south-carolina-state-fair-

I see the date on this now.  I guess I should be more observant before I comment or post.  I don't usually check the library to see if someone has already posted on the subject before I post myself.  I'll try to do better with that!  Thx.
GMC Sierra 2012
2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264BHW Travel Trailer
sweet home Alabama

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 09:10:10 AM »
I see the date on this now.  I guess I should be more observant before I comment or post.  I don't usually check the library to see if someone has already posted on the subject before I post myself.  I'll try to do better with that!  Thx.
It is not a problem except that very few people will respond to a new thread of something that already has an open thread on the subject. There is a search icon at the top of every page. Just search and your question may have already been answered.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Gsport

• ---
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 12:18:40 AM »
I'm going to go out the back door and watch it.  It's going right over top of me in Oregon
Jim and Kerry, Salem Or.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel #107
2016 Chevy 3500HD
2008 32' Cougar (sold)
2010 36' Cougar (sold)
2006 Corvette convertible
2011 Camaro SS

GaryA

• ---
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 09:36:12 AM »
We've reservations at Table Rock State Park in SC.  Looking forward to meeting new friends and seeing the big event.
Gary Alexander
2014 Thor 28z
Waxhaw, NC

GeneS

• ---
  • The journey should be as good as the destination.
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »
I'm like GSport.  Gonna stay at Camp Faucett (my backyard) to experience the eclipse  8).  Just about 7 miles south of the St. Joseph, MO centerline.   
2016 Winnebago View 24M
2015 Heritage Softtail (in lieu of Toad)
1992 Celica GT (eventual Toad)
Home base - Faucett, MO

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 10:35:05 AM »
I gotta work, but the eclipse will be about 80% here in South Delaware so it will still be worth viewing.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

CMorrow

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 10:40:49 AM »
In my backyard! :)

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 10:48:07 AM »
We lucked out.  One of my sons was just transferred to St. Joseph, Mo. which is directly under the eclipse path.  His furniture just arrived yesterday.  Anyway, his driveway will be our observation site.  We've got to get up there early as they are predicting the entire city to be inundated by wannabe eclipse viewers, so we plan on arriving Saturday.  I've got 5 pr. of "eclipse" glasses, so we're set.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

xrated

• ---
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 10:53:47 AM »
I will be sitting on my back deck.  I'm 6 miles from Vonore, TN....pretty much in the center of the totality area
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

Hosted by Over The Network