EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Total Eclipse...anyone taking it in August 21, 2017?  (Read 3602 times)

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: Total Eclipse...anyone taking it in August 21, 2017?
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2017, 11:15:05 AM »
We have been set up for about 11 days boondocking in the NF near John Day, OR. We are about 2-3 miles from the center of totality.  Weather is predicted to be clear for tomorrow. 

We downloaded the Global Observer app, associated with NASA, to take observations of temperature and cloud cover starting today and during the time around the eclipse. 

We should be one of many thousands taking observations for NASA so they will have detailed data associated with the eclipse.
This is going to be the most well observed, reported and appreciated eclipse in all of history. Historical day tomorrow. :))
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2017, 11:42:07 AM »
With the notable exception of that zoo in Prineville, traffic in Oregon has so far been lighter than expected.

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2017, 12:49:59 PM »
This is going to be the most well observed, reported and appreciated eclipse in all of history. Historical day tomorrow. :))

And perhaps hysterical in places, too...  :o ::) :D
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2017, 01:52:50 PM »
In case you are wondering about the weather tomorrow here is the cloud cover for the whole country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/08/20/total-solar-eclipse-weather-forecast-as-of-aug-20/?utm_term=.8d81c5fe336f
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2017, 06:57:56 PM »
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2017, 07:19:32 PM »
I'm at the Goldeneye Reservoir Overflow BLM area on Hwy 26 about 20 miles west of Casper, WY.  Almost smack dab on the centerline of totality.  Google Maps calls this Burlington Lake and will find it using either name.

I think they may have overestimated the crowds, I didn't have any problem driving up from Ouray.  But when I stopped at the Walmart in Craig, I overheard a local say he's never seen so much traffic on Hwy 13 going north - he saw groups of 8-10 cars in a row.  I guess it's a matter of perspective.

The town of Lander, WY had speed traps out in force with radar guns at both ends of town, 3 police cruisers standing by to pounce on speeders and a couple of sheriff's cars cruising up and down Main Street.

AT&T has a great signal on tbe Mobley.  Not bad for a free site.

There are scattered clouds that are supposed to dissipate overnight, and tomorrow is supposed to be clear skies.  We'll see.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2017, 07:35:14 PM »
We're beginning to see signs of "over-hype"?  http://www.kezi.com/story/36175939/lincoln-city-eerily-quiet-as-eclipse-travelers-trickle-in   Lincoln City is the first point of entry for the eclipse on the Oregon Coast.

John Stephens

• ---
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2017, 09:08:33 PM »
We made it from Asheville to Pigeon Forge this afternoon without a problem and nominal traffic on I-40. We have no idea what to expect tomorrow morning or afternoon trying to drive 15 miles to the path of totality, but we will be taking a car on mountain roads to get there, so there may be accidents on the switchbacks.

I think there is a strong possibility that the news of impending historical traffic jams may scare enough people into staying home that the traffic may not be that bad. Same thing happened in St. Louis a few years ago when the Pope visited the town. The news talked about massive traffic problems to the point that most people decided to stay home and there were no traffic issues at all.
John

2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38J

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo With Ami the Chi-cha
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2017, 11:36:29 PM »
I think there is a strong possibility that the news of impending historical traffic jams may scare enough people into staying home that the traffic may not be that bad. Same thing happened in St. Louis a few years ago when the Pope visited the town. The news talked about massive traffic problems to the point that most people decided to stay home and there were no traffic issues at all.

Well,..., Good luck with that.

Here, A lot of people headed up to Wyoming today because of that kind of talk in the news.
We'll see what I-25 looks like in the morning.
More interesting will be the return traffic in the evening.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

prnebs

• ---
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2017, 12:10:46 AM »
Its kind of like when they are predicting the snow storm that is going to dump quadzillion inches of snow and people swarm the gas stations and grocery stores, you can't find snow boots or gloves at any store, schools and business close, the generators are primed and the snow plows are at the ready and start when there is a trace of snow on the highway, and it turns out to be a few inches of snow. The media has so much influence.
2002 Bounder 39Z DP
2014 Ford Edge Toad

Happy Trails To You...

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2017, 04:09:31 AM »
We're going to miss this one except for the 66% of it we'll see here in upstate NY. If we're here for the next one in 2024 though, we'll be in the 98.8% region.

I don't know what the big deal is. I could care less if I see it or not. To me it's just another day. People are driving 100's of miles to see this. One person interviewed on TV drove 1300 miles to see the daylight turn dark for a short time. If I watch it at all, it will be on TV unless I've got something better to do which will be most anything. Now that I think of it, that will be just about my nap time.   ;D :D ;) Have to set my priorities you know.   Anyone agree with me? 
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2017, 06:53:26 AM »
I don't know what the big deal is. I could care less if I see it or not. To me it's just another day. People are driving 100's of miles to see this. One person interviewed on TV drove 1300 miles to see the daylight turn dark for a short time. If I watch it at all, it will be on TV unless I've got something better to do which will be most anything. Now that I think of it, that will be just about my nap time.   ;D :D ;) Have to set my priorities you know.   Anyone agree with me? 

I agree, Rene. Unless it blocks more than 90% of the sun, we likely won't even notice any difference here anyway. Maybe a slight dimming like a cloud passing by. We're more than willing to wait for the next one to come to us, and see no reason to go out of our way to see it. The basic definition of an eclipse is "A celestial body passing between the sun and the observer." and that happens every night.  ;D
Dutch

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2017, 06:55:03 AM »
The cool thing is that this is a national event of great magnitude, unlike the last one, Y2K, this one will really happen.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2017, 08:01:53 AM »
The cool thing is that this is a national event of great magnitude, unlike the last one, Y2K, this one will really happen.

You apparently weren't in IT back then, Tom. Those of us that were put in many long hours trying to make sure that Y2K was pretty much a non-event. I spent that New Year's Eve and morning monitoring corporate servers in three countries to catch any last minute unforeseen glitches that could impact production or payroll. I know of one company in France that had to scrap nearly a million dollars in aircraft parts that were produced with incorrect date codes laser etched on them before QA caught it. In the US, one of the largest payroll processing companies had to rerun thousands of checks that were printed with "1900" when the date didn't increment properly. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as the predictions, but that was in large part because we did our best to prepare for it.
Dutch

xrated

• ---
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2017, 10:06:23 AM »

I disagree with you, as it's a once in a lifetime event for me.  Having said that, of course it's easier for me to say as I don't have to travel other than from the kitchen out onto the deck on the back of the house.  We are in the 100% zone or totality zone and only about 20 miles or so from dead center.  Of course there will be others in my lifetime, if I live long enough, but the no travel on this one makes it Epic for me.......even if it's only a couple of minutes long!
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

LarsMac

• ---
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2017, 10:56:09 AM »

Well, if you've never seen on, you're missing a pretty rare, and quite fascinating event.
I am not sure it can possibly live up to all the hype, this time, though.
2007 Saturn Vue

LarsMac

• ---
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2017, 10:58:50 AM »
You apparently weren't in IT back then, Tom. Those of us that were put in many long hours trying to make sure that Y2K was pretty much a non-event. I spent that New Year's Eve and morning monitoring corporate servers in three countries to catch any last minute unforeseen glitches that could impact production or payroll. I know of one company in France that had to scrap nearly a million dollars in aircraft parts that were produced with incorrect date codes laser etched on them before QA caught it. In the US, one of the largest payroll processing companies had to rerun thousands of checks that were printed with "1900" when the date didn't increment properly. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as the predictions, but that was in large part because we did our best to prepare for it.

Well said. I was on the Y2K team for our company, and we also put in a lot of time and work to make sure that it was a non-event.
We done good.
2007 Saturn Vue

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2017, 11:06:41 AM »
Well, if you've never seen on, you're missing a pretty rare, and quite fascinating event.
I am not sure it can possibly live up to all the hype, this time, though.

I have seen both total solar and lunar eclipses, and frankly, while it was interesting to see them, it really wasn't that big a deal. If I were a scientist studying the sun, it would be different I suppose, but I'm not, so I see little difference in the few minutes of darkness in the small totality band and the total eclipse that occurs here daily, other than the timing difference.
Dutch

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2017, 11:09:12 AM »
Well said. I was on the Y2K team for our company, and we also put in a lot of time and work to make sure that it was a non-event.
We done good.

Yep... Overall it went remarkably well...
Dutch

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2017, 12:06:23 PM »
I have seen both total solar and lunar eclipses, and frankly, while it was interesting to see them, it really wasn't that big a deal. If I were a scientist studying the sun, it would be different I suppose, but I'm not, so I see little difference in the few minutes of darkness in the small totality band and the total eclipse that occurs here daily, other than the timing difference.

X2.  It's not going to make me any richer. Now winning the Powerball this week will.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2017, 12:12:30 PM »
Just walked to the end of the deck for a look through the glasses.  OK.  I've seen it.  Guess I just don't have the eclipse excitement gene.  ???

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2017, 01:22:26 PM »
OK.. For all you naysayers who don't think the eclipse is a big deal.
I just went outside and took a pic of this mind boggling fascinating event.
One look at this and you'll change you're mind.... 8) 8)
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

xrated

• ---
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2017, 02:04:14 PM »
My wife and I just got through watching it....quite amazing for sure.  I celebrated with a shot or three of "moonshine"......which seemed very appropriate considering what the moon did to the sun.  I'm not much of a drinker so about three ounces has my head swimming a bit!  H.E.D.......
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
Great gobs of folks here at work watched it. The eclipse glasses were a disappointment. I looked through three sets of different manufacturers. They all had double vision. Our welding helmets set on shade 13 worked very well and gave a really good view.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2017, 03:40:53 PM »
    BinaryBob, I certainly agree with your comments.  Several years ago, we were set up in Salt Lake City, all prepared to see an almost total, well those people who were 20 miles to our south shared the most glorious pictures, our were of total cloud cover.  A total BUMMER.  So, this time we were only getting about 50% here in New Brunswick, and we had slight cloud cover, and I just kept driving.  We get a tolal 100% one in 2024, but we will be in Florida, just can't win for losing.   :(

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2017, 04:17:22 PM »
OK.. For all you naysayers who don't think the eclipse is a big deal.
I just went outside and took a pic of this mind boggling fascinating event.
One look at this and you'll change you're mind.... 8) 8)
Where were you, Bob?  Your photo sure looks a lot like my view.  We were at St Joseph, Mo. which was under the 100% path.  But, instead, we were 100% clouds. :(
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2017, 04:24:41 PM »
Wayzata, MN
It was overcast all day. The eclipse here didn't even darken the (already darkened) sky.
Bummer....
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2017, 04:40:32 PM »
Casper, WY was overcast yesterday but cleared this morning with some brown tinge at the horizon from the Canadian wildfires and an occasional thin, whispy cloud this morning. 

IMO, the total eclipse lived up to the hype.  As totality approached and the light dimmed to twilight levels, flocks of birds took off and began searching for nighttime roosts.  The single streetlight across the highway came on.  Road traffic dropped to nothing, then came back with a vengeance after totality passed.

At totality, you could see Saturn (I think) directly overhead.

The air temperature did indeed drop 10-20 degrees for 20 minutes or so.

After totality was over, I drove past Casper's airport, where there was a string of 5-10 private jets lining up to take off.  They had something like 100 private planes land this morning so they should be busy all day.

I'm sitting on the BLM land watching the madhouse of people leaving town and will probably head out sometime tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:43:26 PM by Lou Schneider »

JFN

• ---
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2017, 05:44:55 PM »
Here in North PROC it was dim and eerie, we watched it on the NASA Channel and was quite good coverage I'm sure there will be replays.
John & Connie Neal
2006 Dodge 2500 5.9, PacBrake
Smarty Jr Tuned
2006 KZ 29.5' Durango
MaxBrake, Brake Controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
K6JFN

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2017, 10:01:45 PM »
I got off work and went to my usual diner. Stepped out every now and then to check the progress. Had a good view with few clouds here in Georgia. My sister and niece were not as lucky. It rained in eastern Kansas.
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2007 Yamaha TW200
Home town: Mableton, GA

Hosted by Over The Network