Total Eclipse...anyone taking it in August 21, 2017?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just walked to the end of the deck for a look through the glasses.  OK.  I've seen it.  Guess I just don't have the eclipse excitement gene.  ???

OK.. For all you naysayers who don't think the eclipse is a big deal.
I just went outside and took a pic of this mind boggling fascinating event.
One look at this and you'll change you're mind.... 8) 8)

Attachments

• IMG_0777.JPG
    IMG_0777.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 45
My wife and I just got through watching it....quite amazing for sure.  I celebrated with a shot or three of "moonshine"......which seemed very appropriate considering what the moon did to the sun.  I'm not much of a drinker so about three ounces has my head swimming a bit!  H.E.D.......

Great gobs of folks here at work watched it. The eclipse glasses were a disappointment. I looked through three sets of different manufacturers. They all had double vision. Our welding helmets set on shade 13 worked very well and gave a really good view.

BinaryBob, I certainly agree with your comments.  Several years ago, we were set up in Salt Lake City, all prepared to see an almost total, well those people who were 20 miles to our south shared the most glorious pictures, our were of total cloud cover.  A total BUMMER.  So, this time we were only getting about 50% here in New Brunswick, and we had slight cloud cover, and I just kept driving.  We get a tolal 100% one in 2024, but we will be in Florida, just can't win for losing.  :(

Ed

BinaryBob said:
OK.. For all you naysayers who don't think the eclipse is a big deal.
I just went outside and took a pic of this mind boggling fascinating event.
One look at this and you'll change you're mind.... 8) 8)
Where were you, Bob?  Your photo sure looks a lot like my view.  We were at St Joseph, Mo. which was under the 100% path.  But, instead, we were 100% clouds. :(

Casper, WY was overcast yesterday but cleared this morning with some brown tinge at the horizon from the Canadian wildfires and an occasional thin, whispy cloud this morning. 

IMO, the total eclipse lived up to the hype.  As totality approached and the light dimmed to twilight levels, flocks of birds took off and began searching for nighttime roosts.  The single streetlight across the highway came on.  Road traffic dropped to nothing, then came back with a vengeance after totality passed.

At totality, you could see Saturn (I think) directly overhead.

The air temperature did indeed drop 10-20 degrees for 20 minutes or so.

After totality was over, I drove past Casper's airport, where there was a string of 5-10 private jets lining up to take off.  They had something like 100 private planes land this morning so they should be busy all day.

I'm sitting on the BLM land watching the madhouse of people leaving town and will probably head out sometime tomorrow.

Here in North PROC it was dim and eerie, we watched it on the NASA Channel and was quite good coverage I'm sure there will be replays.

I got off work and went to my usual diner. Stepped out every now and then to check the progress. Had a good view with few clouds here in Georgia. My sister and niece were not as lucky. It rained in eastern Kansas.

A perfect day for my wife, the dogs and me to view the total eclipse from Cades Cove in the Smoky Mountains. Only took 40 minutes to drive there from our RV park, but four hours to drive back.

We saw a good bit of it in Glenwood Springs CO, although not totality.  The temperature also dropped a few degrees here and we thought maybe it wasn't quite as bright to the north as it had been earlier.  Our family in Greenville SC were in the totality zone and our grand-niece thought it special enough to call and tell us about how it got dark there.

ArdraF

Guess I was really lucky in DuQuoin, Illinois.  We had 2 minutes but farther south near Carbondale was to have 2 minutes 47 seconds or some such.  They wound up with about 20 seconds due to cloud cover.  We enjoyed the full eclipse, start to finish, with no cloud cover.  Absolutely awesome!  Cicadas started singing, could see stars, and the clouds around the horizon just glowed.  Not totally dark, but kind of a weird dark dusky.  Was worth sitting around Winona the Winnebago with friends and family!

Carbondale was predicting record traffic, sold out food and gas, etc. which didn't materialize, maybe too much hype.

What was fun to watch was the traffic on Google Maps.  The red lines of congestion followed the path of totality.  And yes, we waited till Tuesday to come home.

Well, since I started this post I figured I may as well come back to comment on it. The best laid plans...you know how that goes. While enroute to Idaho(we were in Yuba City area of Ca), we ran into a few issues on the way to our viewing of the Eclipse. First problem was the Transmission on the MH was acting up but I was still willing to attempt it until the second issue arrived. One of our Doggies (our 13 year old Cavalier, Cassie) made a trip to the Emergency Vet and unfortunately continued to the Rainbow Bridge. This was totally unexpected and put a real damper on the trip. We did view the partial Eclipse (via the funky glass's) and from what we observed, it was wonderful.

I planned almost a year in advance for this but life happens. Glad so many here got to see the totality I'll have to wait till next time.

We were in Glenwood Springs CO and saw most of it with the glasses shared by a neighbor.  The air temperature definitely got cooler as it progressed and the light dimmed but it wasn't almost dark as we saw in some places on TV.

ArdraF

"Close" isn't good enough when talking about a total eclipse.  Even 97% totality lets enough light past to negate the darkness you experience with totality.

I was in Casper, WY right along the centerline of totality and it was quite the experience.

We were 75 miles north of Boise Idaho with just over two minutes of totality. It was an even more amazing experiemce that I anticipated! Lou is right; close is nothing like the real thing.

InVogue said:
Well, since I started this post I figured I may as well come back to comment on it. The best laid plans...you know how that goes. While enroute to Idaho(we were in Yuba City area of Ca), we ran into a few issues on the way to our viewing of the Eclipse. First problem was the Transmission on the MH was acting up but I was still willing to attempt it until the second issue arrived. One of our Doggies (our 13 year old Cavalier, Cassie) made a trip to the Emergency Vet and unfortunately continued to the Rainbow Bridge. This was totally unexpected and put a real damper on the trip. We did view the partial Eclipse (via the funky glass's) and from what we observed, it was wonderful.  planned almost a year in advance for this but life happens. Glad so many here got to see the totalityll have to wait till next time.

So sorry to hear about your friend Cassie, I'm sure there are great memories to help travel the bridge.

Back
Top Bottom