Question for a 2016 Forest River Wildwood owner or tech

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prior member

Can any Forest river Tech, or owner of a 2016 Wildwood tell me how to remove the overhead LED light lens/fixture.
I have pulled my hair out trying to figure it out, and the Forest river forum is useless.
It is the oval fixture about four inches long with a  white rim around it and a small built in switch on one side.
It looks to me like the fixture and the white rim are all one unit.

Jack L

This sounds similar to what I have in my Coachmen Freedom Express.  I used a small flat head screwdriver in the slots to pop the cover off.

No, that is not it.
There are absolutely no slots, and  nothing to pry or move.

Thanks for trying though

jack L

A picture of the light would be helpful, but from your discription it sounds like what we have in our basement storage area. Try sliding the lens along the long axis away from the switch end.

Boatworker said:
A picture of the light would be helpful, but from your discription it sounds like what we have in our basement storage area. Try sliding the lens along the long axis away from the switch end.

No, I guess you didn't read my post. the switch is on one side of the oval not at either end.
Also, there is no way to slide it.

I have installed and reinstalled quite a few various lights over the years, and this one looks nearly impossible, but there must be some secret way of doing it.

jack L

I don't know how to post pictures, or I would.

Seems many newer RV fixtures use a Spring Loaded method, instead of screws... for mounting theze dayz..

Try pulling Down on one end.. then push it toward the other end.. then pull down. It should then "pop' loose to remove it.

To re-install, pinch the 2 spring arms together.. slip it back into the hole.. release one spring arm.. hold the remaining arm Up so you can push It back in the hole.. and release. Should "snap" back into the hole, and in place.

Joe.

Kindofa PIA the first time.. you may hafta work with it some.. but once you figure it out.. it'll be easier the next time ??

Frizlefrak said:
Without pics, we're flying blind.

You might be flying blind, but someone who has one or a tech that works with them won't be flying blind, and that is who my post was meant to reach.

jack l

JackL said:
You might be flying blind, but someone who has one or a tech that works with them won't be flying blind, and that is who my post was meant to reach.

jack l

It's a Forest River trailer for God's sake.  They make millions of them, with a tiny handful of suppliers supplying them with lighting, appliances, etc.  And guess what?  Every other trailer manufacturer uses the same suppliers and the same lighting.  Logic would then dictate that if we could see what the light looks like, hundreds of us have the same fixtures and we can tell you how to open it.

And trust me....I'm not the one flying blind.  I don't have to post on an online forum to figure out how to change a light bulb.  My Forest River has the same lights as yours.....slide the damn cover off, remove the screws, and it comes out.  See?  Wasn't that easy? Then again, something tells me you would be better off just taking it in to the shop.....you know, so a real "tech" can do it for you.

Frizlefrak said:
It's a Forest River trailer for God's sake.  They make millions of them, with a tiny handful of suppliers supplying them with lighting, appliances, etc.  And guess what?  Every other trailer manufacturer uses the same suppliers and the same lighting.  Logic would then dictate that if we could see what the light looks like, hundreds of us have the same fixtures and we can tell you how to open it.

And trust me....I'm not the one flying blind.  I don't have to post on an online forum to figure out how to change a light bulb.  My Forest River has the same lights as yours.....slide the damn cover off, remove the screws, and it comes out.  See?  Wasn't that easy? Then again, something tells me you would be better off just taking it in to the shop.....you know, so a real "tech" can do it for you.

Nice guy !!!

Question for you if you don't mind and I would like a truthful answer

Do you own a 2016 Forest River Wildwood 36BHBS ?

I have helped many people  with various questions about the trailers I have had over the past forty years, and when I can't help someone, I don't answer them or try to belittle them.

There are four people in the park where we are with different Forest river trailers, and not a one of them has seen or can figure out how to get these off.

Enough said from this end to you!

jack L

JackL said:
Nice guy !!!

Actually, I am.  I even took the time out of my day to try and show you how to post pics so I (and others) could help you.  But no, you cop an attitude.  The fact that you couldn't figure out that little nugget on your own reinforces my notion that your camper should go to the shop.

BTW...Seems like you're the one that's the "Nice Guy"

JackL said:
No, I guess you didn't read my post.

JackL said:

jack l

JackL said:
Question for you if you don't mind and I would like a truthful answer

Do you own a 2016 Forest River Wildwood 36BHBS ?

No....and that has absolutely no bearing on this discussion.  If I were standing there, I'd have the damn light fixture off and sitting on the counter in 3 minutes.

A camper trailer (ANY camper trailer) is just a box on wheels filled with appliances and furniture.  Regardless of the pretty decal on the side, they're ALL made with stuff from just a small handful of suppliers.  Your "2016 Forest River Wildwood 36BHBS"  is just another trailer made by Forest River....just like every other trailer made by FR, or Jayco, or any other manufacturer.  NONE of them build their own parts...they just design and assemble them.  Yours doesn't have some magical formula of special parts.  The fact that you can't figure out how to remove a light fixture isn't a reflection on the trailer's complexity....

Very likely it is all one unit - I have some aftermarket Led fixtures that are that way as well. The notion is that they last almost forever, so don't need removable lens to change bulbs. And of course it makes them cheaper too.

Is it a recessed fixture? If so, the whole thing probably pulls down, though not easily. Often they are designed to push in and use spring-loaded clips to lock in place. You have to pull hard enough to bend the spring clips backwards.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Very likely it is all one unit - I have some aftermarket Led fixtures that are that way as well. The notion is that they last almost forever, so don't need removable lens to change bulbs. And of course it makes them cheaper too.

Is it a recessed fixture? If so, the whole thing probably pulls down, though not easily. Often they are designed to push in and use spring-loaded clips to lock in place. You have to pull hard enough to bend the spring clips backwards.

Thanks Gary,

It sure looks like all one unit to me, so you are probably right.
I have pushed , pulled and squeezed all to no avail.
  All the lights are working perfectly, I just wanted to know how for when and if the time came.

When we did our walk through and I asked the question, I got the answer that you just said above, ("they last forever" ) and I figured he just didn't know how, but now I realize that he must have given me a truthful answer.

Hopefully the switch will last forever too, although it probably can be pried down to replace

jack L

Gary RV Roamer said:

BIG JOE said:
Try pulling Down on one end.. then push it toward the other end.. then pull down. It should then "pop' loose to remove it.

To re-install, pinch the 2 spring arms together.. slip it back into the hole.. release one spring arm.. hold the remaining arm Up so you can push It back in the hole.. and release. Should "snap" back into the hole, and in place.

Joe.

FWIW ?

They are one recessed unit.

I had one that didn't last forever, went dim, in the bathroom. And I wanted to add two more over the mirror, for better light anyway.

Called Grand Design.. they sent me a replacement. Used It to learn how they mount. Ordered two more from Amazon. Removed the OEM one, use that recess hole to pull wire over to the mirror area recess holes I had cut-in. Tied them in.. Life is good.

It's doable.. you just hafta finesse them some. I've found that once you pull down on it, with a light, you can find the location of one of the two spring arms. Gently push one arm up , and pull down at the same time.. once it clears.. the whole unit will then.. pull clear, and come down.

Joe

Rene T said:
They had to put that light bulb in there somehow.  :eek: ::) :)

Like Gary said. They are made to "last forever" so they are made to go in, not come out. You have to break them to get em out. Then you slap a new one in it's place. I'm just wondering why JackL wants to know how to get it out when it sounds like it doesn't need to come out?

Ale_Brewer said:
Like Gary said. They are made to "last forever" so they are made to go in, not come out. You have to break them to get em out. Then you slap a new one in it's place. I'm just wondering why JackL wants to know how to get it out when it sounds like it doesn't need to come out?

Two points:

1 I wanted to get the lens off for when and if the fixtures or LED's had to be replaced, Also I would like to replace one that is too bright

2. I found out: there is a tiny  slot, almost impossible to see on the opposite side of the switch, for a screw driver to pop the lens off. Then the screws that hold the fixture are exposed for removal. - The portion with the LED's is a throw away one since the entire electronic board with them is riveted together.

Satisfied ???

Jack L

Jack, regarding #2, that is the first suggestion you received on November 27 that was summarily dismissed.  You're welcome :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom