EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: I'm compelled to read the locked posts  (Read 2780 times)

jsetti

• ---
  • Tranquility On the Move IV
I'm compelled to read the locked posts
« on: November 27, 2016, 09:16:17 AM »
Even if the original topic posting is of no interest to me I'm compelled to read the locked posts just to see where the discussion went downhill. 

Religion? Politics? Snarkiness? 

It's always entertaining!  I'm just weird like that!  :P

Jean Corsetti
Full-Timer with DH Steve and
Fur Babies Annie & Max
2010 Monaco Diplomat 42SKQ

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: I'm compelled to read the locked posts
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 09:33:43 AM »
Those aren't the only reasons a discussion gets locked, but enjoy the reading!
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

xrated

• ---
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 10:35:23 AM »
I've done my share of locking threads on a couple of forums that I am a Super Moderator on.  My "trigger" is political and religious discussion....as neither one of the forum allow those topics, even in the "Off Topic" section.  Another trigger is members being disrespectful to other members or name calling.  That one will get them ONE warning, then it's vacation time for a minimum of three days.  If they persist, it will eventually get them banned.
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

Frizlefrak

• ---
  • El Paso, Texas
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 01:41:52 PM »
Usually it's name calling and just general disrespect that gets them locked.  And some topics have just been beat into the ground 1000 times....and always wind up the same way. 
2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Palomino 30' TT

malexander

• ---
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 07:27:44 PM »
I don't really see a lot of name calling, political, or religious lock downs here. I'll check out some of the locked down threads once in a while. Most of them have been locked because of the same topic in another thread.

I'm on more than a vacation from IRV2. BUT, that's OK, they own the site, they can do what they want.
Marshall Alexander
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N DP, 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing, 2007 VTX 1300, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S19 Venterra

Russ+Chris

• ---
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 11:11:13 PM »
I HAVE to read the locked thread just to see what happen. A lot of times, it becomes a total train wreak over something stupid. On some of the forums I'm on. If I see it a thread headed that way. I'll post this. LOL
Russ and Chris (Both retired)
Jake, the furry kid. (Golden) Cooper RIP
Brownsville Pa.
'09 Fleetwood Discovery 40X  350HP DP
'13 Jeep Grand Cherokee TrailHawk Toad
'11 Nismo Track Car
'08 Power Wagon Off Road Beast
'07 Honda VFR

Past;
'14 Bounder 36R Gas (The Wobbly Goblin)
'11 Outback 277RL

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 11:28:16 PM »
I HAVE to read the locked thread just to see what happen. A lot of times, it becomes a total train wreak over something stupid. On some of the forums I'm on. If I see it a thread headed that way. I'll post this. LOL
You sound like a cheap date. ;D ;D
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Russ+Chris

• ---
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 11:41:56 PM »
You sound like a cheap date. ;D ;D
Top shelf taste, Mad Dog wallet.
Russ and Chris (Both retired)
Jake, the furry kid. (Golden) Cooper RIP
Brownsville Pa.
'09 Fleetwood Discovery 40X  350HP DP
'13 Jeep Grand Cherokee TrailHawk Toad
'11 Nismo Track Car
'08 Power Wagon Off Road Beast
'07 Honda VFR

Past;
'14 Bounder 36R Gas (The Wobbly Goblin)
'11 Outback 277RL

Bobmws

• ---
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 05:56:38 AM »
That's the reasoning behind putting the Tabloids at the checkout counter in the grocery store! :)
Bob & Vicki
Central Florida
2001 Keystone Tailgator Toy Hauler

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 06:20:46 AM »
We try hard not to over-moderate, but occasionally we're left with little choice to prevent a discussion going further downhill. We have a great group of staffers who apply common sense when dealing with this stuff, and we'll even discuss some of the stuff in the back room.

As noted, there are several other reasons for locking a topic, some of which are applied automatically and may have nothing to do with message content.

We're very fortunate to have a great group of forum members who respect each other and respect the common good; This makes our job much easier.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 07:14:54 AM »
IN many RV forums politics get you locked too..  (And I will admit to being an offender because I think they are important)

To give you an idea of how quickly politics can get you locked, or even blocked... I also participate in some Usenet news groups.. I just Kill-Filed a poster due to this politics.     It was easier than responding to the ding dong.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Home is where you make it.
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 07:59:26 AM »
IN many RV forums politics get you locked too..  (And I will admit to being an offender because I think they are important)

To give you an idea of how quickly politics can get you locked, or even blocked... I also participate in some Usenet news groups.. I just Kill-Filed a poster due to this politics.     It was easier than responding to the ding dong.

Where are you getting your usenet access?  I miss the old rec.motorcycles.harley...even if most of the posters have moved over onto Facebook.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 08:20:25 AM »
The free text only Usenet server at Eternal-September.org carries rec.motorcycles.harley...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Home is where you make it.
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 08:28:54 AM »
Heck, I didn't know they were still around.  Now if I can only remember my old password.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

kwbush

• ---
  • South Jersey
    • The Buschs of Ruscombmanor Township and beyond...
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 09:44:29 AM »
I'm sorry any topic could or would earn a lock. Short of name calling I see no reason intelligent, and south of intelligent, people can't engage in a spirited discussion of... whatever. 8)

The beauty of a forum is that we can voice an opinion without the possibility of receiving a bloodied nose... >:(

As I said previously name calling and demeaning put downs shouldn't be tolerated, period. If we would like to debate a political decision affecting RV'ing that some donkey or elephant had come up with, like ummmm, banning fulltiming in my 28' Prowler then I believe it should be allowed... but hey, I don't own the forum and I am not king (damn). There IS a reason the avatars for the major political parties are what they are... we never forget and the other guys are a bunch of asses! Opps, that just maybe way too political, sorry. :(

JMHO on this subject... :-[

Keith
Keith & Laraine Bush

2005 Fleetwood Prowler 270FQS
1995 Chevy Silverado C2500

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.    Mark Twain

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 10:36:31 AM »
I'm sorry any topic could or would earn a lock. Short of name calling I see no reason intelligent, and south of intelligent, people can't engage in a spirited discussion of... whatever. 8)

The beauty of a forum is that we can voice an opinion without the possibility of receiving a bloodied nose... >:(

As I said previously name calling and demeaning put downs shouldn't be tolerated, period. If we would like to debate a political decision affecting RV'ing that some donkey or elephant had come up with, like ummmm, banning fulltiming in my 28' Prowler then I believe it should be allowed... but hey, I don't own the forum and I am not king (damn). There IS a reason the avatars for the major political parties are what they are... we never forget and the other guys are a bunch of asses! Opps, that just maybe way too political, sorry. :(

JMHO on this subject... :-[

Keith

X2.   
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

denmarc

• ---
  • "I put a spell on you!"
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 12:59:57 PM »
I would love to read all those locked threads myself! But I also understand a very general principle...

A forum consist of a variety of people from all backgrounds. Each are given a chance to have their say on any particular topic. Because of the cornucopia of ideas, complaints, suggestions, and opinions...
Quite often a discussion becomes out of control. The subject going south doesn't even really have to relate to religion or politics. It can also be a disagreement between 2 members that is getting quite heated and going nowhere. Someone has to be able stop the insanity.

There have been times where I thought a thread was locked prematurely over the years. Sometimes what I thought based on that moderators personal opinion. Which I thought was without merit. It happens. I was thinking that there were too many moderators with the power to lock a thread. All with different opinions, ideas and experiences. I was starting to wonder if it was becoming a power war amongst moderators.

We've got a pretty good crew of moderators. My opinion, mind you. My hat is off to all of our current moderators! Great Job!

After thought...
Could we compile all those locked topics, put them all together and publish a book to sell to the members to benefit the forum?  ;)
Think about it.  ;D     
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

Derby6

• ---
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 01:25:20 PM »
To ensure jsetti comes back to read her own thread.  I'll try and get it locked.

Never mind as I attempted to be humorous, I quickly realized there were too many Religions to both praise and bash.
Politics was easy....lol
Name calling in humor, I feared may have been taken seriously with out the facial expressions and voice inflections be able to be represented.

But I had Name calling, Politics, and Religion covered...... ;D ;)
2015 Ford Explorer (Wifes Ride)
2011 Ford F350 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab/Long Bed/SRW
2011 Honda Civic-- (Beater with a heater)
2007 28' Desert FOX Toy Hauler             
TOYS:
01 Yamaha Kodiak 400
09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
12 Yamaha Grizzly 450
13 Yamaha Rhino 700 (Wifes Ride)
13 & 14  144" & 155" SKI DOO

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 04:06:09 PM »
Fortunately, topics locked because the discussion went downhill are a very small fraction of our total topics. In addition to locked topics left in the public area, some topics are moved out of public view.

Could we compile all those locked topics, put them all together and publish a book to sell to the members to benefit the forum?

Funnily enough, we have a collection of topics (a subset of topics that were moved from public view) in an archive in the back room; They're intended for the calibration of forum staff.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 04:24:21 PM »
If you guys want to read stuff like you find in locked threads just visit Facebook. Anything goes there including politics, religion, guns and sex. I swear some people are going to resort to pistols and duels they get so excited. It is easy to see why things get locked around here.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 05:54:03 PM »
They're intended for the calibration of forum staff.

Do you let them know they're going to be calibrated before appointing them?   ;)
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 07:20:10 PM »
Maybe I should apply for staff.
I need an adjustment....... 
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

denmarc

• ---
  • "I put a spell on you!"
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 03:47:22 AM »
Funnily enough, we have a collection of topics (a subset of topics that were moved from public view) in an archive in the back room; They're intended for the calibration of forum staff.

There ya go, Tom! You might be sitting on the next publishers dream!  ;)
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2017, 08:19:39 AM »
I think it is the "Forbidden Fruit" attraction  or "I wonder why they locked this one out".

That said.. I just "closed" (Locked) a thread on another forum..   it will likely be the last post in that forum I fear.... Only two moderators remain (myself and the corporate manager) and there has been almost no traffic in a long time save for the thread I just locked and I'm the only one who posts in that one (Compuserve Diabetes forum)  Lights out is scheduled for later this week..

Sad day when a forum closes.

But I locked it because I don't want anyone else posting condolance messages in that thread, it is for one purpose only, and that's not it.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2017, 08:47:13 AM »
... there has been almost no traffic in a long time ... I'm the only one who posts in that one (Compuserve Diabetes forum)  Lights out is scheduled for later this week..

It's amazing that any Compuserve forums have stuck around. Maybe you &/or the Forum Manager could start up your own forum outside of CS, as we did here 11 years ago after 12 years on CS  ???

Hosted by Over The Network