I'm compelled to read the locked posts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsetti

Even if the original topic posting is of no interest to me I'm compelled to read the locked posts just to see where the discussion went downhill. 

Religion? Politics? Snarkiness? 

It's always entertaining!  I'm just weird like that!  :p

Those aren't the only reasons a discussion gets locked, but enjoy the reading!

I've done my share of locking threads on a couple of forums that I am a Super Moderator on.  My "trigger" is political and religious discussion....as neither one of the forum allow those topics, even in the "Off Topic" section.  Another trigger is members being disrespectful to other members or name calling.  That one will get them ONE warning, then it's vacation time for a minimum of three days.  If they persist, it will eventually get them banned.

Usually it's name calling and just general disrespect that gets them locked.  And some topics have just been beat into the ground 1000 times....and always wind up the same way. 

I don't really see a lot of name calling, political, or religious lock downs here. I'll check out some of the locked down threads once in a while. Most of them have been locked because of the same topic in another thread.

I'm on more than a vacation from IRV2. BUT, that's OK, they own the site, they can do what they want.

I HAVE to read the locked thread just to see what happen. A lot of times, it becomes a total train wreak over something stupid. On some of the forums I'm on. If I see it a thread headed that way. I'll post this. LOL

Attachments

• IBTL.jpg
    IBTL.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 68
Russ+Chris said:
I HAVE to read the locked thread just to see what happen. A lot of times, it becomes a total train wreak over something stupid. On some of the forums I'm on. If I see it a thread headed that way. I'll post this. LOL
You sound like a cheap date. ;D ;D

We try hard not to over-moderate, but occasionally we're left with little choice to prevent a discussion going further downhill. We have a great group of staffers who apply common sense when dealing with this stuff, and we'll even discuss some of the stuff in the back room.

As noted, there are several other reasons for locking a topic, some of which are applied automatically and may have nothing to do with message content.

We're very fortunate to have a great group of forum members who respect each other and respect the common good; This makes our job much easier.

IN many RV forums politics get you locked too..  (And I will admit to being an offender because I think they are important)

To give you an idea of how quickly politics can get you locked, or even blocked... I also participate in some Usenet news groups.. I just Kill-Filed a poster due to this politics.    It was easier than responding to the ding dong.

John From Detroit said:
IN many RV forums politics get you locked too..  (And I will admit to being an offender because I think they are important)

To give you an idea of how quickly politics can get you locked, or even blocked... I also participate in some Usenet news groups.. I just Kill-Filed a poster due to this politics.    It was easier than responding to the ding dong.

Where are you getting your usenet access?  I miss the old rec.motorcycles.harley...even if most of the posters have moved over onto Facebook.

I'm sorry any topic could or would earn a lock. Short of name calling I see no reason intelligent, and south of intelligent, people can't engage in a spirited discussion of... whatever. 8)

The beauty of a forum is that we can voice an opinion without the possibility of receiving a bloodied nose... :mad:

As I said previously name calling and demeaning put downs shouldn't be tolerated, period. If we would like to debate a political decision affecting RV'ing that some donkey or elephant had come up with, like ummmm, banning fulltiming in my 28' Prowler then I believe it should be allowed... but hey, I don't own the forum and I am not king (damn). There IS a reason the avatars for the major political parties are what they are... we never forget and the other guys are a bunch of asses! Opps, that just maybe way too political, sorry. :(

JMHO on this subject... :-[

Keith

kwbush said:
I'm sorry any topic could or would earn a lock. Short of name calling I see no reason intelligent, and south of intelligent, people can't engage in a spirited discussion of... whatever. 8)

The beauty of a forum is that we can voice an opinion without the possibility of receiving a bloodied nose... :mad:

As I said previously name calling and demeaning put downs shouldn't be tolerated, period. If we would like to debate a political decision affecting RV'ing that some donkey or elephant had come up with, like ummmm, banning fulltiming in my 28' Prowler then I believe it should be allowed... but hey, I don't own the forum and I am not king (damn). There IS a reason the avatars for the major political parties are what they are... we never forget and the other guys are a bunch of asses! Opps, that just maybe way too political, sorry. :(

JMHO on this subject... :-[

Keith

X2.   

I would love to read all those locked threads myself! But I also understand a very general principle...

A forum consist of a variety of people from all backgrounds. Each are given a chance to have their say on any particular topic. Because of the cornucopia of ideas, complaints, suggestions, and opinions...
Quite often a discussion becomes out of control. The subject going south doesn't even really have to relate to religion or politics. It can also be a disagreement between 2 members that is getting quite heated and going nowhere. Someone has to be able stop the insanity.

There have been times where I thought a thread was locked prematurely over the years. Sometimes what I thought based on that moderators personal opinion. Which I thought was without merit. It happens. I was thinking that there were too many moderators with the power to lock a thread. All with different opinions, ideas and experiences. I was starting to wonder if it was becoming a power war amongst moderators.

We've got a pretty good crew of moderators. My opinion, mind you. My hat is off to all of our current moderators! Great Job!

After thought...
Could we compile all those locked topics, put them all together and publish a book to sell to the members to benefit the forum?  ;)
Think about it.  ;D     

To ensure jsetti comes back to read her own thread.  I'll try and get it locked.

Never mind as I attempted to be humorous, I quickly realized there were too many Religions to both praise and bash.
Politics was easy....lol
Name calling in humor, I feared may have been taken seriously with out the facial expressions and voice inflections be able to be represented.

But I had Name calling, Politics, and Religion covered...... ;D ;)

Fortunately, topics locked because the discussion went downhill are a very small fraction of our total topics. In addition to locked topics left in the public area, some topics are moved out of public view.

Could we compile all those locked topics, put them all together and publish a book to sell to the members to benefit the forum?

Funnily enough, we have a collection of topics (a subset of topics that were moved from public view) in an archive in the back room; They're intended for the calibration of forum staff.

If you guys want to read stuff like you find in locked threads just visit Facebook. Anything goes there including politics, religion, guns and sex. I swear some people are going to resort to pistols and duels they get so excited. It is easy to see why things get locked around here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom