Best way to stream sports and other live tv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbrownalive

Is there a way to stream sports, etc that doesn't cost a fortune?  We are getting ready to take off on our full-timing adventure and currently have an HD antennae.  We have ATT phone service. 

Streaming implies a high-speed internet connection for downloading. What do you have for that?  Cellular is usually not consistent enough once away from major metro areas, and campground wifi is typically slow at best.

With good internet, there are streaming services such as Sling TV and Playstation Vue that have pretty good sports content.

When you really get out in the boonies you may find you are lucky to get any signal and then it may be just email and forums slowly. Even if you could get a great signal everywhere, truly unlimited data is expensive. For me it is less expensive to have a portable satellite for the times I can't receive OTA programming. It always gets a signal, the picture is always full HD, it is really unlimited and there is never any buffering.

Last night I watched a recorded program streamed from the Dish Hopper w/Sling installed in our Adirondack cottage while sitting in our motorhome. I was using the "Dish Anywhere" app on my tablet with an HDMI feed to the TV. The Internet connection was via a $5/mo unlimited Verizon 3G data plan using a reflashed hotspot. Surprisingly, the program played through perfectly with zero buffering. Ookla showed I was getting speeds of just a fraction under 2mbs down. We also have an AT&T unlimited 4G/LTE data hotspot, but I wanted to see how well the 3G hotspot handled it.

NY_Dutch said:
Last night I watched a recorded program streamed from the Dish Hopper w/Sling installed in our Adirondack cottage while sitting in our motorhome. I was using the "Dish Anywhere" app on my tablet with an HDMI feed to the TV. The Internet connection was via a $5/mo unlimited Verizon 3G data plan using a reflashed hotspot. Surprisingly, the program played through perfectly with zero buffering. Ookla showed I was getting speeds of just a fraction under 2mbs down. We also have an AT&T unlimited 4G/LTE data hotspot, but I wanted to see how well the 3G hotspot handled it.
There is zero buffering because they have dumbed down the signal. The resolution has been slightly reduced and the frame rate is half the normal. It drove me nuts during the baseball playoffs but it was better than not seeing the playoffs at all. As soon as the playoffs were over I canceled.

SeilerBird said:
There is zero buffering because they have dumbed down the signal. The resolution has been slightly reduced and the frame rate is half the normal. It drove me nuts during the baseball playoffs but it was better than not seeing the playoffs at all. As soon as the playoffs were over I canceled.

Were you watching the playoffs with Dish Anywhere? I've never noticed any problems watching with the HDMI connection from the Hopper to the TV.

NY_Dutch said:
Were you watching the playoffs with Dish Anywhere? I've never noticed any problems watching with the HDMI connection from the Hopper to the TV.
No, I was watching them on SlingTV over the Internet and explaining why the signal does need buffering.

SeilerBird said:
No, I was watching them on SlingTV over the Internet and explaining why the signal does need buffering.

Ok, I was just noting that streaming from our Hopper over 3G had worked remarkably well considering the slow speeds. Sling TV and Sling "place shifting" are quite different animals though, so my experience and yours is pretty much an apples and oranges situation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom