EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Full Timing and Traveling with a Stocked Liquer Cabnet, after all it's our Home  (Read 4416 times)

---nota___

• ---
 Full Timing and Traveling with a Stocked Liquer Cabnet, after all it's our Home and We like to entertain a lot.

Does every bottle have to be factory sealed while traveling on the roads of America?

Can I also carry on board a couple Aged Barrels of Rum & Whiskey from my favorite Distilleries ?

Don't worry, I'm not going to be driving a 36,000 GVW rig while drinking for obvious Reasons,

anymore  ;)

---nota___

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Yes and no. State laws will vary for carrying broken seals of alcohol. When in doubt store in a basement compartment.
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

Becks

• ---
Best get a tag axle to carry all that liquer. Good luck shopping.
2006 Travel Supreme
Spartan 42FT Tag Axle
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon/2003 Honda CRV

---nota___

• ---
Best get a tag axle to carry all that liquer. Good luck shopping.

So the Barrels would be fine in the basement and I'll just have to install a shutoff valve to the kitchen for traveling. The barrels would need a shutoff valve anyways.

Beside all my police friends like to have a cocktail after their interesting days end.

Am I correct in this logical thinking ?

---nota___

• ---
So the Barrels would be fine in the basement and I'll just have to install a shutoff valve to the kitchen for traveling. The barrels would need a shutoff valve anyways.

Beside all my police friends like to have a cocktail after their interesting days end.

Am I correct in this logical thinking ?

The more Barrels I can carry the less junk my wife can purchase, besides the more stuff she buys the more we will have to entertain.

Thirty five years of marriage to my complete opposite has taught me all the fun tricks to keep Her Happy and Adventurous in Life.

HappyWanderer

• ---
It's not like you're traveling with a bottle between your knees. Keep the booze properly stored and you shouldn't have any problems.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Not sure what you mean by a shut off valve. Not the same as a seal. 
Always good to have police friends to share a drink with, but that won't help you on the road.  :o
 Particularly in a state like Wisconsin.

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
It's not like you're traveling with a bottle between your knees. Keep the booze properly stored and you shouldn't have any problems.

Agreed..  but it appears there's not enough stow room for his supply.  ;D
Don't assume if it's out of reach of the driver, you're fine.

--Gary RV Roamer--

---nota___

• ---
Not sure what you mean by a shut off valve. Not the same as a seal. 
Always good to have police friends to share a drink with, but that won't help you on the road.  :o
 Particularly in a state like Wisconsin.

The barrels will be tapped and pumped into the kitchen sink for easy access and will need a shut off valve. 

Just make the Po Po Laugh and more than half you battle is completed.

Almost busted going thru Atlanta in 2004, cruise set at 132 and playing with the peddle up to 160 in between what almost zero traffic there was at 4am heading to Florida. Let off with a warning to speed at a more reasonable speed and was followed all the way to Florida State Line at 90 with my wife driving.

Kalamazoo to Florida state line in under 12 hours even after a 20 minute break on the side of the highway with seven Georgia State Troopers.  ;D  Helps if you have the Proper Car for those speeds.  Pretty tough to break that record now of days.

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Interesting. You want to "tap" hard liquor? What are you going to push it with? Nitro? Or just vac it up a line with compressed air? Either way sounds like you'll ruin you whiskey.

Why do you want to leave the exciting road life of 160 mph and drive a boxy RV down the road at 60?
On the other hand, thinking you can typically get off the hook by making the uhh.. Po Po ? laugh .. perhaps it's better to hang up the BMW keys and get you that motorhome....quickly..

--Gary RV Roamer--

---nota___

• ---
Interesting. You want to "tap" hard liquor? What are you going to push it with? Nitro? Or just vac it up a line with compressed air? Either way sounds like you'll ruin you whiskey.

Why do you want to leave the exciting road life of 160 mph and drive a boxy RV down the road at 60?
On the other hand, thinking you can typically get off the hook by making the uhh.. Po Po ? laugh .. perhaps it's better to hang up the BMW keys and get you that motorhome....quickly..

The Slow Life is just as Fun as the Fast.

Going to use a food grade liquid pump and one way valve for the Bung Hole for the Tap.

Our S2000 was always mistaken for the BMW so the Po Po was normally looking for the Wrong Car. The S spent most of it's Life in the Triple Digits and was designed for it. I purchase Value & Quality and Life is a Blast !!!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 01:04:58 AM by ---nota___ »

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
Hi nota and all,

I find this a bit interesting. I think in a lot of states their is maximum amount of alcohol you can transport over state lines. I'm not sure about the law as it applies to RV travel though. I think it would be advisable to contact local state police in the states you plan to travel and ask them simply how much you are allowed to transport in an RV. I wouldn't volunteer how much you plan to take. Have you given thought about the rare possibility of someone running into you or you them. Can you insure this?

I remember my Dad hiding a whisky bottle in his shoe bag so he could have a drink after a days drive on our trips. This was located in the trunk with all the suit cases. Also was at a time the interstate roads weren't all complete and you spent quite a bit of time going through towns, not making time and reason for his hiding the bottle he had. I simply put beer in a cooler on the bottom along with my pop. I only open a beer after I'm off the road. Good luck and safe travels. Hope you find the solution.
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

wincom6

• ---
I don’t think you should drive with a lot of adult beverages in your vehicle. Crossing state lines with an amount that may be considered  commercial could get you a court date.     That said, I have a open bottle of German Cognac in the galley cabinet. You can correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think open container law’s apply to the part of my motor “home” that is my home.
U.S. Army Veteran
2008 Providence
2013 Chevy Equinox
Pittsburgh, PA
"Congressional term limits in my lifetime."

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
Here is a link to the laws of the 50 states about alcohol in a vehicle:  http://www.ncsl.org/research/financial-services-and-commerce/open-container-and-consumption-statutes.aspx

In general it is OK to have alcoholic beverages inside a motorhome, but not in the driver area, or consumed while driving, even by passengers sometimes.
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Here is a link to the laws of the 50 states about alcohol in a vehicle:  http://www.ncsl.org/research/financial-services-and-commerce/open-container-and-consumption-statutes.aspx

In general it is OK to have alcoholic beverages inside a motorhome, but not in the driver area, or consumed while driving, even by passengers sometimes.

Good link but again, it depends on the state. Technically, Minnesota and Wisconsin have no exception for motor homes.
As noted by Happy Wanderer, from a practical standpoint, if you hide it away from the driver area you shouldn't have any concerns.

Unless of course you're the type to give the trooper probable cause to search your vehicle.... such as excessive speeding then telling the officer jokes.. ;D

--Gary RV Roamer--

---nota___

• ---

Thanks for the Link

---nota___

• ---
Good link but again, it depends on the state. Technically, Minnesota and Wisconsin have no exception for motor homes.
As noted by Happy Wanderer, from a practical standpoint, if you hide it away from the driver area you shouldn't have any concerns.

Unless of course you're the type to give the trooper probable cause to search your vehicle.... such as excessive speeding then telling the officer jokes.. ;D

Speeding is not probable cause to search a vehicle, besides we will be happy just to keep up with the faster Semi's along our travels.

Pretty sure the high speed cross country traveling is a thing of the past with all the cameras that been installed the past ten years. The Po Po really cracked down on the last sports car rally that ran across America.

RoyM

• ---
Yeah, I watched Cannonball Run too. Thanks for the chuckle.
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

---nota___

• ---
I don’t think you should drive with a lot of adult beverages in your vehicle. Crossing state lines with an amount that may be considered  commercial could get you a court date.     That said, I have a open bottle of German Cognac in the galley cabinet. You can correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think open container law’s apply to the part of my motor “home” that is my home.

Good point on the amount carried thru various states, probably better off with the smaller wood barrels.

My wife would be happier to have the extra storage space instead.

Happy Wife, Happy Life !!!

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

• ---
Good point on the amount carried thru various states, probably better off with the smaller wood barrels.

My wife would be happier to have the extra storage space instead.

Happy Wife, Happy Life !!!

With smaller barrels, you could have room to buy the good stuff when you run across different distilleries all over the country! You both will be happy :)
2007 Springdale 260
2008 Ford F250
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Rampage Motorcycle Lift

Currently at work in King Cove, Alaska

Old Racer

• ---
Reading all this, I have been trying to recall a two word phrase often used by Harry Morgan while playing the role of Colonel Sherman Potter in the old TV series Mash.

Polite enough to be on TV back in those days, but made the point.

If I could only remember what it was..........

HappyWanderer

• ---
Horse Hockey!

Bob T

• ---
I think Col Potter said "Horse Pucky"  ;)
2008 Winnebago Vectra 40 TD
Any day you wake up on the right side of the grass is a Beautiful Day!

HappyWanderer

• ---

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Reading all this, I have been trying to recall a two word phrase often used by Harry Morgan while playing the role of Colonel Sherman Potter in the old TV series Mash.

Polite enough to be on TV back in those days, but made the point.

If I could only remember what it was..........

Sufferin' Saddle Soap!
Pig Feathers!
Buffalo Chips!
What is this cow flubdubbery!
Mule Fritters!
Sufferin' Sheep Dip!
Shiverin' Shinbones!
Mule Muffins!
Buffalo bagels!

--Gary RV Roamer--

---nota___

• ---
Beaver Biscuits !!!

Perfect

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
The laws, including those referenced in the link above, all refer to "motor vehicles' or similar wording. I don't know of any states that have written laws that exempt motorhomes. But in practice (case law), courts everywhere have held that there is a distinction between the driving area and the rest of a bus-type vehicle, including motorhomes. The, "home" aspect contends with the motor vehicle aspect and courts everywhere have ruled that the "motor vehicle" restrictions do not apply to areas designated for other uses. Just where the line is drawn, however, remains a matter of interpretation by both LEO and the courts and is done on a case-by-case basis.  For practical purposes, I think you can say the "home" part of a motorhome begins a few feet behind the driver seating.

States that have laws that specifically address passenger behavior can be somewhat more problematic. Again, there is some interpretation as to whether a person riding in the living area of a motorhome is a "passenger" or simply someone enjoying his temporary home. In most cases the question won't ever arise, but if the behavior is flagrant enough to attract attention, the law might be applied by a LEO and it will be up to the courts to determine after that.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Old Racer

• ---
Happy Wanderer, thanks for all those Potter quotes!  So many possibilities, so many places to use them.
Great show, just keeps on giving.

AStravelers

• ---

As far as Wisconsin while there is no exception for Motorhomes, the laws seem to say it is OK to have the alcoholic beverage in a "space not accessible to the driver".  (My paraphrasing)
(1) No person may drink alcohol beverages or inhale nitrous oxide while he or she is in any motor vehicle when the vehicle is upon a highway.

(2) No person may possess on his or her person, in a privately owned motor vehicle upon a public highway, any bottle or receptacle containing alcohol beverages or nitrous oxide if the bottle or receptacle has been opened, the seal has been broken or the contents of the bottle or receptacle have been partially removed or released.

(3) The owner of a privately owned motor vehicle, or the driver of the vehicle if the owner is not present in the vehicle, shall not keep, or allow to be kept in the motor vehicle when it is upon a highway any bottle or receptacle containing alcohol beverages or nitrous oxide if the bottle or receptacle has been opened, the seal has been broken or the contents of the bottle or receptacle have been partially removed or released. This subsection does not apply if the bottle or http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?action=post;quote=906409;topic=100786.0;last_msg=906744receptacle is kept in the trunk of the vehicle or, if the vehicle has no trunk, in some other area of the vehicle not normally occupied by the driver or passengers. A utility compartment or glove compartment is considered to be within the area normally occupied by the driver and passengers.

Everyone should read the info and see if they are comfortable with their own interpretation. 
Al & Sharon
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

AStravelers

• ---
The laws, including those referenced in the link above, all refer to "motor vehicles' or similar wording. I don't know of any states that have written laws that exempt motorhomes. But in practice (case law), courts everywhere have held that there is a distinction between the driving area and the rest of a bus-type vehicle, including motorhomes. The, "home" aspect contends with the motor vehicle aspect and courts everywhere have ruled that the "motor vehicle" restrictions do not apply to areas designated for other uses. Just where the line is drawn, however, remains a matter of interpretation by both LEO and the courts and is done on a case-by-case basis.  For practical purposes, I think you can say the "home" part of a motorhome begins a few feet behind the driver seating.

States that have laws that specifically address passenger behavior can be somewhat more problematic. Again, there is some interpretation as to whether a person riding in the living area of a motorhome is a "passenger" or simply someone enjoying his temporary home. In most cases the question won't ever arise, but if the behavior is flagrant enough to attract attention, the law might be applied by a LEO and it will be up to the courts to determine after that.
Texas seems to exempt RV's with this wording:
Tex. Penal Code Ann. §49.031
(b) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly possesses an open container in a passenger area of a motor vehicle that is located on a public highway, regardless of whether the vehicle is being operated or is stopped or parked.  Possession by a person of one or more open containers in a single criminal episode is a single offense.

(c) It is an exception to the application of Subsection (b) that at the time of the offense the defendant was a passenger in:
(1) the passenger area of a motor vehicle designed, maintained, or used primarily for the transportation of persons for compensation, including a bus, taxicab, or limousine;  or
(2) the living quarters of a motorized house coach or motorized house trailer, including a self-contained camper, a motor home, or a recreational vehicle.

I have seen similar wording for other states. 
Al & Sharon
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

Hosted by Over The Network