Ideas between Asheville NC, Helen GA, and Atlanta Ga

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandT

We have some free days on this trip and we're wondering if anyone had any ideas?  We have a 6 and 11 year old so please keep that in mind.  Oh we have the polar express train, builtmore, stonewall and Mama Gerdie's campground on the list.

I have a 30,000 BTU furnace so I am hoping that I don't learn the hard way that it's not enough for December.

Stop for lunch or dinner at Cafe Rel in Franklin, NC. Kids may like a stop at the Cabbage Patch doll factory in Cleveland, GA. Also, the Ace Hardware store in Clayton, GA is great.

Clayton is actually a nice little town.  Reeves Hardware in town has flavor, but be aware there's also a Reeves up 441 a few miles, around Dillard; good store, but not the feel.  The Dillard House is all-you-can-eat, family style service, and the food's gotten better over the years (an annual thing's there), but not cheap.  Shops and galleries in Clayton, and Black Rock Mt. State Park's Tennessee Rock trail isn't too strenuous, and you can see Clingman's Dome on a good day; might be bracing, weather depending.

Moccasin Creek State Park has a kids and senior trout section, and the hatchery's next door, and I think they let visitors in.  Kids can feed the fish at Anna Ruby Falls near Helen; again, not a bad walk, but may be low water.  Bigger fish to feed at Nora Mills pottery, below Batesville towards Clarkesville.  And then there's the gold rush stuff in Dahlonega. 

Helen I avoid like the plague; terrible traffic choke point, and I suspect Christmas season is no different.  But the BBQ place south of the bridge and off to the left isn't bad.

Have fun.

Yonah Mountain CG in Cleveland is nice. Dunno about kid things. Yonah Burger is great. There's nowhere else in or really close to Cleveland; other places are way up the moutain etc.

Atlanta is to be avoided like the plague. There are some nice parks around Lake Lanier down towards Gainesville.

The only reason to go to Helen is that's where all the liquor stores are in White County, at  least as of a couple of years ago.

Good point.  Can still run into some dry places in the South.  Best to take what you want with you.  I do believe that there is a liquor store in Clayton, and beer and wine in the grocery store across the street.

Thanks all ? no one in my family drinks so we won't be going to Helen for that reason but I hear it is worth it at least once.  Any other ideas?

We don't drink either but there is a chocolate store there that will make your trip worth it.  Right above Helen and Roberts-town are the headwaters of the Chattahoochee River.
Marvin

Unicoi State Park just 2 miles or so North of Helen is very nice.  There's even a two mile hiking trail from the park to downtown Helen so you can avoid the vehicular traffic.  I was a camp host there for one November a few years ago and if you stay out of Helen on the weekends the traffic is not bad.  Weekends=Horrible traffic.  http://gastateparks.org/Unicoi

fishingbob, mentioned Moccasin Creek State Park has a kids and senior trout section. Does anyone know the cost of nonresident trout fishing there? Need a daily tag, a yearly trout license or what?
Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom